Deer hunters! Let us know if you do.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
I like to deer hunt, but I haven't been in two years due to the lack of having access to any land for deer hunting. Last deer I shot was a doe with a Remington 700ML (muzzle loader) at 190 yards in 2008. I don't think I have shot a buck since 2003. Guess I should change that!

Maybe I will be lucky enough to shoot a doe or two with my M1 Carbine or M1 Garand this year.

dennishoddy

We need to take all of the does that we can. Best meat, and it will help the overall health of the herd. I'm not a trophy hunter at all, but do prefer a mature buck if I'm going to take one.
A mature 10 point has a whole lot more steaks than a yearling fork horn.

Somebody wants to shoot a fork horn? Go for it! :D Do what makes you get out into the woods and have fun with deer season.

I read once that deer hunting in Oklahoma puts more money back into the state than all of the college football games by a large margin, and small businesses that cater to the hunters benefit greatly.

I know in years past going through Grainola to hunt prairie chickens, the places that said, "welcome hunters, biscuit and gravy $3, got my attention, vs those that didn't.

dennishoddy

Lets do it...... And afterward we'll head to hoddys' for a gang bang turkey hunt.....seein how the ladies are all out shopping. :)

GUYS! your are wanting me to get a divorce??

On the other hand.......that one is dragging a beard......let me rethink this......:D

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
We need to take all of the does that we can. Best meat, and it will help the overall health of the herd. I'm not a trophy hunter at all, but do prefer a mature buck if I'm going to take one.
A mature 10 point has a whole lot more steaks than a yearling fork horn.

See, I would LOVE to have a wall hanger, but I mainly want to put meat in the freezer. I am very envious of you guys who get to pick and choose.

BTW, if anyone wanted to have some does taken off their land, I would be happy to volunteer!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been shooting does for years! actually shot a buck a couple years ago but it was dedregation hunt and he was tearing up some expensive trees so he had to go. I know there are some areas that need MANY does removed. I would like to see the limit raised for the doe season and some of the he men that shoot only bucks figure out that those bucks will have a better chance to grow if there are less does running around in the woods.

I remember if you saw a deer people would talk about it for weeks but now no big deal the damn things are everywhere! that place I helped with getting rid of the deer we would just walk over jump in the golf cart and drive into the field pick a deer drive up to it and pop it! it wasn't hunting it was more like shopping. I don't know what kind of year it will be as where we have been hunting out West the lack of rain everything is dead for the deer to eat so who knows.Later,

Kirk

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Lets do it...... And afterward we'll head to hoddys' for a gang bang turkey hunt.....seein how the ladies are all out shopping. :)

If ya'll put a hunt together please count me in. I have a virgin 7mm and she needs to get some meat for the table.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
In my teens, twenties and early thirties I dreamed of hunting and was content by my self last couple of years I am excited about taking my nephew out or going with a friend. Pigs coyotes or deer are all fair game I have shot more coyotes while deer hunting than deer. I enjoy deer camp. Each year I shoot my bow and get my blackpowder rifle ready. But secretly I am really a shooter and love these competitions. Boomershooters are great folks this year I am spending more on bullets and less on deer corn.

Jberry

Fanatic
Love it...Just went out this morning. Saw 8does and a couple small spikes. All within 30 yards, but nothing I really wanted to take home. I love going with my son. He is 13 and just wanted to sleep this morning. We spend several weekends in Texas each year hunting for these...

IMG_0575.jpg

Absolutely best wild game meat I have ever had. Its almost sweet tasting.

Jberry

Fanatic
Very nice Axis deer! I've heard they are really tasty. Did your son take it?

He sure did. As you can see he had a broken arm and was afraid he wouldn't be able to hold his rifle. We stalked it for about an hour. He finally slowed down to rub on a tree. Jackson got on one knee and dropped him from about 120 yards. I had a video camera...but in my excitement, forgot to film the shot.

If you ever have a chance to get one or to acquire some meat, it tops elk and antelope by a mile.

dennishoddy

I saw the cast, and wondered if he could take the shot.
I actually saw one that was free ranging SW of Midland Tx. A buddy had access to a lease for birds, so we went out there to check it out, and the first thing we saw was an Axis deer. It didn't stick around long, as we had a Brittany with us, and started to chase it. Your sons buck sure has a nice rack. :D

dennishoddy

Damm those are ugly! I love a non-typical rack, but those are just not my cup of tea. I wonder why they always take pics of them in velvet?

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
They are pics sent me from one of my buds.
7 yr old buck farm raised.

Latest posts