customizing a 1911

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
It's not all in your head,......well, maybe it is.

If you THINK one is of a much higher quality, you will shoot BETTER. Chances are, if you think they are of a higher quality, they certainly are.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I really can't expound on what has been said thus far. Everyone has covered it nicely. To me, it's about feel of the gun. The subtle edge breaks/bevels, the feel of the front strap treatment in my hand both while shooting and drawing. The engagement/disengagement of the thumb safety. Even comparing multiple guns by the same smith, some feel more special in my hand. When I shoot certain custom 1911s next to semicustoms etc, I can tell a difference in accuracy.

Hell, maybe it's all in my head.

NO it is a fact. the hands signal our brains what they feel. your hands acts as "eyes" sort of(this is how the blind know what things look like right?) and our sensation is very very good through them. seeing that most of your guns( that we have seen posted) are custom guns---hand made..the slight difference you feel will be real. humans are not machines that can be set to do a task EXACTLY the same every time. so each handfit part has variances and those variances will be felt as you manipulate the parts you spoke of.I agree 1911% about how some guns(although they look identical to others) feel different, shoot different and become favorites over others. alot of that is in our head( because the brain interprets the signals it gets from the hands).

love you almost dirty dozen CCPs BTW. congrats on owning the dream collection

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
NO it is a fact. the hands signal our brains what they feel. your hands acts as "eyes" sort of(this is how the blind know what things look like right?) and our sensation is very very good through them. seeing that most of your guns( that we have seen posted) are custom guns---hand made..the slight difference you feel will be real. humans are not machines that can be set to do a task EXACTLY the same every time. so each handfit part has variances and those variances will be felt as you manipulate the parts you spoke of.I agree 1911% about how some guns(although they look identical to others) feel different, shoot different and become favorites over others. alot of that is in our head( because the brain interprets the signals it gets from the hands).

love you almost dirty dozen CCPs BTW. congrats on owning the dream collection
Thank you. You make very valid points in your post. I might be more sensitive to "hand feel" since it it important in my career.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
And yet another opinion.

Slightly OT, but the point is worthwhile. I shoot competitively almost every Saturday. I'm not fast, but I'm fairly accurate. I should also say that in my example I am considering a wider variety of handguns than just 1911's. I shoot 1911's now in matches but carry plastic guns in my pocket as an EDC, and also run them in BUG matches.

I have determined that the speed and accuracy of my shooting has little to do with how a gun or trigger feels in my hand without actually shooting it and comparing results side by said, and with a timer. I see some guys run some "inferior" guns with gritty triggers and beat everyone in the match, so I quit ignoring certain guns because I didn't like the grip angle initially, or find the trigger to be way different.

In my own humble experience, just because it doesn't feel good to you, doesn't mean you will shoot it poorly.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic

In my own humble experience, just because it doesn't feel good to you, doesn't mean you will shoot it poorly.

Very good point. A few years ago, I shot a friend's M&P. I really didn't like the look or the feel of the pistol. With that being said, the 1st three shots went through the same hole. I really didn't care for the model, but I shot it like a laser.

Latest posts