Cowboy Action Shooting in Belton

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
A couple of our Upstate SASS shooters have arranged with the Belton Gun Club to start shooting cowboy action on the 2nd Saturday of the month. The first match is this Saturday April 13. Registration at 8:30, match begins with safety briefing at 9:30.

Greenville matches are held on Sundays (the 4th Sunday to be specific) so it will be nice to have a Saturday match alternative.

Send me a PM if you would like more information. It is on the Belton Gun Club calendar but I don't think the cowboys have created a website yet.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
24 shooters participated in the first match with the "Belton Bushwackers"; one fellow shot his first-ever match and another fellow had shot only once prior match. A number of other gun club members stopped by to watch; that is a good facility and the people were nice.

A variety of targets were used in addition to the standard cowboy targets; a couple of Steel Challenge targets were used for rifle and pistol; the plates are challenging by cowboy action standards. They had some very interesting shotgun knockdowns that are on a spring like a Slinky. If you hit it solid the plate bends down to the ground but it resets itself after a couple of seconds. Nifty.

Scores were recorded on a iPad using a fairly new program. Scores were "up" immediately after the match.

Happy to see a club holding Saturday matches. I think they will do well.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Because of scheduling conflicts with "big" matches with their regular match day, the Belton Bushwhackers will hold their October and November matches on the first SUNDAY of the month (instead of the second Saturday). That means the October match is this Sunday. Back to the second Saturday in December.

I've been to most of their matches and they are doing a great job. They are very new-shooter-friendly.

This Sunday they are having a cookout after the match. A good chance for the shooters and their families to get some social time (after the earplugs are out and you don't have to YELL at one another).

More details and contact information on their new website, www.beltonbushwhackers.com.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The Belton Bushwhackers are back to their regular match schedule for December; 2nd Saturday or this Saturday December 14.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Belton called off its December match; looks like heavy rain on Saturday.

They will be back the 2nd Saturday of January.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I received a message today that the January match has been rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday due to the poor forecast on Saturday.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The range was very wet and muddy yesterday so the Belton January cowboy match has been postponed to next Saturday.

Any Belton Gun Club members out there? You have a nice facility. Have you checked out the cowboy action matches? If so what did you think?

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
You betcha! This Saturday is match day for the Belton Bushwhackers.

Hard to believe right now but the weather on Saturday is supposed to be very nice.

Come out and join us for some "lead on steel" fun. The match begins with a safety briefing at 9:30; we'll probably wrap up about 1:00 depending on how many people show up.

I shoot as a guest at the Belton matches; it is a very friendly and welcoming group. There always seem to be spectators at the matches. "Eyes and ears" are required in the shooting bays; that's the only requirement I know of.

This is the last match in the Upstate before the State Match (in Greenville) on March 27-30, so I'm expecting a good turnout on Saturday.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I forgot to mention that a Forum member, Poor Farmer WF, will be shooting his inaugural match in Belton tomorrow. I understand he'll be shooting his new cap and ball revolvers; those are always fun to see in use. Other shooters will lend him a rifle and shotgun. That's the way we roll.

Come on out and cheer him on! Maybe you can be the next "new guy" or "new gal". We'd be pleased to have you.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
A decent turnout of 25 shooters today. The weather warmed up quickly to a comfortable level and the stages were a lot of fun.

"Poor Farmer WF" did very well for his first match, very safe and some good shooting with some tricky guns. If anyone tells you that cowboy shooters use wimpy little loads, send them to talk to WF. The black powder shooters were hurling thunderbolts today.

A prospective new shooter from Easley came by; we're hoping that he will join us. I think he was warmly welcomed.

We have a little over two weeks to get ready for the State Match. I'd better start practicing loading the shotgun!

Poor Farmer WF

New Fanatic
Hello All,

What a BLAST!!! Literally! :)

Crunchy? Got to again say just how nice and friendly you and your wife are! I had a blast today. It was so nice listening to you encourage all the shooters, guests, and us newbie shooters.

Yeah! Had trouble with the guns. But, seems if a ball came out the end, it usually hit a target. That made me happy. Tried to be safe. Learned a lot! Went by Fuzzy's and spent about three hours breaking down those guns and doing some serious cleaning. Think they'll be a bit better next time around.

Told Fuzzy today they ought to give you a medal or something. Not only are a fine shooter, (love the video on facebook!) but you're so helpful to us new folks, can't help but like this deal. Everyone there is friendly and helpful.

See you soon!

WF

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Paco said:
Hopefully I will get there in a timely manner next month! Looking forward to it!

Just for future reference and for the benefit of other guests, you need not be there at the beginning to come and watch a match. We had a couple of folks yesterday who came to watch after we had gotten started.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The Belton Bushwhackers' July match is this Saturday, July 12. I had to miss their "big" match last month so I'm looking forward to seeing what surprises they have in store for this month

Bring the family and come check out the fun.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Ordinarily the Belton cowboy matches are held on the 2nd Saturday but to avoid a conflict with the Southeastern Regionals, the Belton November 2014 match will be held on the 4th Saturday, November 22.

Update: The Greenville November cowboy match was rained out so we're looking forward to the Belton match which is next Saturday.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like great weather for the Belton cowboy action match on Saturday. I didn't make their November match but I understand that they had some spectators including a married couple who may be starting in the game.

I see on the Belton Bushwhackers website that they are experimenting with a new fun format called "Road to Perdition" in which the shooter uses a 1911 pistol, a Thompson semiauto rifle and a pump shotgun. Kind of like the Zoot Shooter matches, perhaps. Looks like they will shoot "Perdition" on 5th Saturdays. If you have a Thompson, this may be your game.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The weather yesterday was great and everyone had a great time. I posted a couple of videos on my Videos from Upstate Cowboy Action Matches thread.

Because of a conflict with the Florida State Match, the Belton Bushwhackers' will not shoot on the 2nd Saturday in January but will shoot on the 5th Saturday. I think that will be a Road to Perdition matches for those of you who have a "Chicago Typewriter" in the safe.

craigp

Well-Known Fanatic
Crunchy Frog said:
The weather yesterday was great and everyone had a great time. I posted a couple of videos on my Videos from Upstate Cowboy Action Matches thread.

Because of a conflict with the Florida State Match, the Belton Bushwhackers' will not shoot on the 2nd Saturday in January but will shoot on the 5th Saturday. I think that will be a Road to Perdition matches for those of you who have a "Chicago Typewriter" in the safe.

Crunchy, can you provide some guidance on what are decent and not overpriced pistols, rifle and shotguns? What are some of the popular models being used by the average participants? I've gone to the SASE and Cowboy Action Shooting sites and they provide very broad information. I'm trying to get some specifics.

Thanks

Latest posts