Couple questions about AR

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Im not 100% sure yet because I havnt shot it but the bcg was sticking a little bit before I shot it and the bolt always felt as if it wasnt quite the same size . I removed the bolt and left the carrier group in and grabbed the gas tube with some needle nose pliers and slid the carrier up and down while moving the gas tube until it seated on perfect. Put it all back together and tada ! My gas tube was bent just a hair but enough to slow the bcg down to cause problems . I will let you know as soon as I shoot it for sure.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
It's an extractor issue from the pics (and possibly another issue). Either the head spacing is wrong and you're not extracting or the extractor is crap. But on the first and second pics, did it extract and then pinch the next round? if so, it's the spring/buffer causing it to cycle too quickly (one of mine had this issue). Try to use the RRA spring and buffer in it and see if it makes a difference.

The extraction is probably still crap but you eliminate one issue at least.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
The extractor was crap . Replaced extractor, gas tube and gas block . She runs like a champ now!

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, its no secret that I'm an AK guy, granted there not as accurate as far out as the AR platform they are also not as finiky. Why is it that you don't hear about these kinds of problems from the AK platform weapons???
l

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Ok, its no secret that I'm an AK guy, granted there not as accurate as far out as the AR platform they are also not as finiky. Why is it that you don't hear about these kinds of problems from the AK platform weapons???
l

My guess would be that there are a lot less guys building, modifying, and shooting AK's. Plus there are not as many companies making new parts for AK's. Same old stuff that has run for decades. What would make that change now?

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Well.....that's what we said about the AR then some whackos had to go and put piston systems (ala AK's) on the good ole American AR-15.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well.....that's what we said about the AR then some whackos had to go and put piston systems (ala AK's) on the good ole American AR-15.

Israel has been doing that since 72 - Galil, nothing new, but the U.S could had observed what our friends in the sand box have been doing except for those naughty contracts and lobbyist I am sure kept getting in the way plus the non shooting voters / reviewers. Worse thing to happen to an AR for the military is when the twist and ammo changed.

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
My M16 in the army was an A2 20" barrel produced by FN. I had one of the better rifles in the troop, however there was more than one occasion when other of my battle buddies had numerous problems with their rifles. I've never been an AR guy due to the fact I hear the spring running litteraly right underneath my cheek. Always freaks me out and I loose all my focus. I've recently become aquainted with the 7.62x39 upper and am considering giving the AR platform another go. Maybe a piston buffer, plus I'd be getting away from the under powered .223

Not to start you off bent out of shape on a new forum, and Im not trying to start anything, but the phrase ".223 is underpowered" is usually an overused internet catch phrase used by guys that cant shoot accurately and know it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I've never been an AR guy due to the fact I hear the spring running litteraly right underneath my cheek. Always freaks me out and I loose all my focus.
with the right components, this wont happen

Latest posts