Couple questions about AR

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Man took the brand new AR I just built to the range and bad news let's see what you boys think. Every couple shot it would no extract and jam also put one above my bolt . Try three different grains and two different brand mags . I have pictures of several jams that it did everything on the gun is brand new . Let's see what you guys think and if I'm on the right track.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
pics would help. Without any additional info, if its not extracting, make sure it has the little rubber washer around the extractor. I once bought a bolt that was lacking one. it still seemed to function fine, but was lacking one nonetheless.

93 FOX

Well-Known Fanatic
If you have an extra bolt carrier group you can change out with the one in the rifle that would help eliminate some possibilities. I would start there. If you swap out the bcg and it runs fine that will narrow it down a little.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
First, make sure you're using a carbine spring if it's a colapsable stock, I've seen people put a rifle length spring in without realizing it.

Next, try slowing it down with a heavier buffer. Too fast cyclic rate can cause lots of problems, extraction being one of them. When it does extract the round, what angle does it eject, straight out/forward/rear? If the case flies out to the front of you, the rifle is running too fast. The side is ok but not as good as to the rear.

Other than those 2 things, it's hard to guess without more info.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
1bb1e271.jpg

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
The last pic shoved the bullet back into the shell. Second pic from the top put one above my bcg. I was think about changing out the bcg with my RRA s bcg and then try the buffer and spring as well. Thanks for all the help . I'm open to suggestions . Thanks.The gun is quentin defense upper lower with yhm 20" barrel dpms lpk if that helps. Oh and unknown bcg all is brand new from coldhand arms.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall I'm pretty sure they go straight out and up a little.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Did you buy the whole kit from Cold Hand? I bought mine there, and while I didn't have any problems with it outside of rattling heat shields, Steve went ahead and exchanged those anyway, and has answered any question I've had. I bet he'll troubleshoot it for you.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Looks like your extractor is sucking big time. Try putting a replacement spring and insert in the bolt. Take a look at the extractor hook while you're at it and make sure it looks ok.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
How do I get a bolt out of the carrier group? I just bought all random parts and put them together all milspec though most of the guts are from coldhand. Extractor looks to be ok compared to my RRA bolt. Thanks guys.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok pulled the buffer and spring out of my RRA and qd rifles. My 18" RRA lar spring is about one inch longer than my QD with 20" barrel and rifle length gas tube is this the problem?

Latest posts