Compensators?

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
Waiting for the mail now. Jerry Miculek Compensator 7/8" by 2" and JP 3.5lb spring kit for AR. $60 shipped from Make Ready Pro Shop.

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
After reading the article from thetruthaboutguns (cant link for some reason) about AR muzzle brakes I went with Precision Armament's M4-72 severe duty comp and was really impressed. Mega loud of course but reduced muzzle rise to nearly nothing without an adjustable gas block.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
There are a few parts on a competition rifle that will make a huge difference. The comp is one of them. Fortis Red is $70, SJC Titan, which is a better comp is $100. Get the Titan.

benny hill

Am testing our new titaim. comp and it is the tit's. at 2.5 oz it feels like there is not one on the gun, swings great and of course is FLAT shooting. Will have them ready about feb. cost is ABOUT $180.00, Wear is way better than stainless.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
That's one of the only problems with the SJC Titan, it's a bit heavy on the end of the barrel. I added a stock that was a bit heavier to balance the rifle. Titanium comp would be very interesting.

craigkim

Fanatic
What is the weight of the steel rolling thunder comp and the JP comp? I can't find either listed. I have a JP comp, but I was thinking about trying the rolling thunder. My rifle is already tipping 9lbs though, so I don't want to add more weight.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to wonder how a lighter/ shorter version of Rolling Thunder would work. Years ago I took a machine shop class and made 4 comps, first was a duplicate of rolling thunder, second was shorter with two horizontal holes, both holes were the same size as the larger diameter hole on the Rolling Thunder, with two holes in the top, this comp was not as good as RT but a real close second. Then I made a third comp with a smaller foot print, I was trying to do something between SJC Titan & RT, holes on side were a smaller diameter, this comp was lighter also had two holes in the top similar to titan, sadly this comp did not work very well.
Anyhow what I learned was Rolling Thunder is a good design when you start removing metal and or adding holes or increasing hole diameter you get a different animal.
I would still choose rolling thunder again if I was going to buy another comp. I have not looked at the titanium design Benny has, but for my run n gun rifle a titanium comp would drop some weight.
In 2012 at Old Fort I was squaded with two guys that shot for Benny, I don't remember any comments about the comp on my rifle, we did discuss how you can tune the comp to your rifle by drilling out the top port. I do know when Benny looked at the unfinished port job I did on my shotgun, Benny's body language looked very irritable. I did a effective but crappy job.

I am coaching my daughters Youth Softball team, when it slows up hopefully I can make some matches again.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
benny hill said:
Am testing our new titaim. comp and it is the tit's. at 2.5 oz it feels like there is not one on the gun, swings great and of course is FLAT shooting. Will have them ready about feb. cost is ABOUT $180.00, Wear is way better than stainless.

Ok, how did testing go? I am looking for new comps since my old favorite isn;t made anymore and I am not liking what I currently use.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
mike_pinto said:
You might see one next time we are all shooting together, Adam. Just sayin....
It is on my short list of replacement options. I was wanting to know if anyone has used the Gas Hog from Carbon Arms.

I am looking at the Rolling Thunder and Titan as my other options since I can not find a Miller Hammerhead anymore.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I prefer the Rolling Thunder to the SJC. Both are effective but I don't lose fillings when I shoot the RT. ;) Benny has the secret to an effective comp and it's all about that first expansion chamber and the first port. It does magic. Because Benny is magic. Haha

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
mike_pinto said:
I prefer the Rolling Thunder to the SJC. Both are effective but I don't lose fillings when I shoot the RT. ;) Benny has the secret to an effective comp and it's all about that first expansion chamber and the first port. It does magic. Because Benny is magic. Haha
Mike, how much tuning (drilling) did you do on yours? And what length barrel was it on?

posted via Tapatalk

ShaneP

Looks good to me
That titanium rolling thunder is light. He(Benny) had one at Fallen Brethren. Felt like it weighed 1/3 as much as my SJC.

Latest posts