Comments and Questions that should be banned

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Here is a list of comments and questions I compiled that make my blood boil and prove the ignorance of anyone who makes them or ask them. I added some commentary to each one.

Feel free to add your own

Anyone using the term “assault rifle”
What is an assault rifle?

Why do you need an AR-15?
Option 1: There isn’t a good answer to this when talking to a liberal so I just say, because!
Option 2: I don’t NEED one, but the Constitution of the United States guarantees that I CAN have one

Why do you need xxxxx rounds of ammunition?
Because I shoot a lot

News reports that someone in a traffic stop was found to have “xxxx rounds of ammo”
That could be most any of us going to a weekend match

I support the 2nd Amendment, I’m a hunter
The 2nd Amendment doesn’t have anything to do with hunting

I don’t think civilians should have that type of gun.
Why do you get to decide what platform I can or cannot operate?

The Vice-President will head up a task force on gun violence.
How about a task force on plain old violence?

After someone kills an attacker or a home invader in self defense, the news says “charges are not expected to be filed”
No ****! Why would you even bother saying that?

You shouldn’t be able to order 10,000 rounds of ammo over the internet.
Option 1: Where else am I going to buy 10,000 rounds of ammo?
Option 2: Why not?

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
Go get them Burk!!!

I agree it's pure ignorance... And the hypocrisy of it all is what really bothers me the most.

The bill of rights protects us with many freedoms... Speech and religion, assembly, bearing arms, fair trial, due process, etc... We don't get to pick and choose from among this list. These are rights guaranteed to us in our constitution. It may be the 2nd amendment now... But what rights will be questioned or eroded next? Free speech may evolve into free speech as long as your speech isn't at odds with societal norms (this is actually already happening under the guise of political correctness). These rights were written in plain, broad language so they would and could not be misunderstood. Is our constitution perfect? Of course not... But it does do a pretty good job of preserving these basic rights for all Americans.

These are very dangerous and concerning times... And everything we stand for and enjoy as Christians... and as Americans... is under attack. I hope we can find our roots (by looking to our past and not FORWARD) and that we will survive this very disturbing and transformative momentum that the left seems to enjoy at the moment.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Burk Cornelius said:
The Vice-President will head up a task force on gun violence.
How about a task force on School Security? Why? How many shootings do you hear about at a courthouse with one entry point with armed securtiy and screening before gaining access to the rest of the building? Crazy people aren't stupid, they don't want to go to places where they can be met with armed force!

Actually had this conversation with a co-worker.........he had no re-buttal :)

Reactions: PDN

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
How about a task force about Mental Healthcare. I was listening to the radio the other night and of almost all the mass shooting incidents that have occured in the last few years the suspect was declared not to be mentaly fit for trial. That is of those that didn't kill themselfs of commit suscide by cop at the end.

okshooter26

Well-Known Fanatic
As pissed off at these anti gun people as Iam they do have free speech. But God help them If they try to remove the right to bear arms. Not to mention how crappy of a job would that be?! I wonder what the life expectancy of that job would be.

dennishoddy

Wall said:
I've delt with a couple of Generals of the Army back in the day. What I know is that their job is 90% politics, and if in the case of conflicts, to lead troops into battle.
They have to deal directly with our elected officials and answer to them.
Some of our best Generals, to include General William Westmoreland, and General Creighton Abrams from the Vietnam war, lost their jobs by questioning the way the President and his advisors were conducting the war, and the rules of engagement that were costing American lives on a daily basis.

General Douglas MacArthur comes to mind when he lost his commission because he fought President Truman over the Korean war. (which by the way is still a war, and we have thousands of troops stationed in that country. Its a declared cease fire at this point)

All of that being said, General McChrystal allowed an avowed left wing reporter from the Rolling Stone to be imbedded with his command. During the course of the reporters time, he observed the General and his staff referring to VP Joe Biden as "bite me" Biden, and other "slurs" on the adminstration.

He took full responsibility for his actions and resigned.

Its just my opinion, but his current stance with the administration is an attempt to curry favor with them, and get an appointment to the Presidents staff. One of these days he will be seen again. Just my opinion. Carry on.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Here is a list of comments and questions I compiled that make my blood boil and prove the ignorance of anyone who makes them or ask them. I added some commentary to each one.

Feel free to add your own

Why do you need an AR-15?
Option 1: There isn’t a good answer to this when talking to a liberal so I just say, because!
Option 2: I don’t NEED one, but the Constitution of the United States guarantees that I CAN have one
My preference is Option 3: It has nothing to do with "NEED", and everything to do with "right" and "duty" as an American - Same as with the first amendment.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Something that "our side" has been saying that bothers me is

We need to take a look at video games and the entertainment industry

I'm sick of the circular firing squad where people point fingers at each other and try to get other people's rights taken away first so their own thing can avoid the axe for another few years.

Why do you need violent video games? Couldn't you be just as entertained by some nice platformer like Mario* as you are by playing Modern Warfare? The only people who want to play those video games are social misfits who want to live out their adolescent murder fantasies, and average gamers who only want to play Rockband need to voice their support for common-sense restrictions on violent video games.

Does that sound familiar to you?

For the sake of argument, I'll say that violent video games and movies actually do contribute to mass shootings in some way. If we censor video games or movies, we've collectively decided that a small margin of safety (because really these mass shootings, while tragic, are comparatively rare) is more important than our right to freedom of expression.

This is the same kind of thinking that leads to gun bans, but because this censorship infringes upon a freedom that Old White Gun Owners like Wayne LaPierre don't personally exercise, they don't realize that they're being just as ignorant as "the antis."

*I am no longer familiar enough with popular video games to use current popular video game titles.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
James, this is a very good point and one that I brought up with Michele in one of our conversations. I said something like "I want to be sure I'm not one of those guys" referring to an "anti-whatever people".

I think as long as we keep that mindset, we will be OK. Its when you stop examining your own thought process that you get in trouble and become one of "those guys"

PS: Nice reference to Mario brothers

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
It's the same "**** you, I got mine!" attitude that Fudds have when they let EBRs get banned, but in a broader context.

We're not fighting gun control. We're fighting the restriction of freedoms in the wake of a tragedy because WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
Burk Cornelius said:
PS: Nice reference to Mario brothers
I'm pretty sure I can still beat Super Mario Brothers in under 7 minutes (after getting a refresher on how to run through the final castle).

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
Prescribed psychotropic and other ssri drugs and video games are a really bad combination for young people when it comes to acting out anger, fantasy etc. The kids today are being overwhelmed with them, look at the lists of young killers and you find that an extremly high percentage were on them.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Tenxer said:
Prescribed psychotropic and other ssri drugs and video games are a really bad combination for young people when it comes to acting out anger, fantasy etc. The kids today are being overwhelmed with them, look at the lists of young killers and you find that an extremly high percentage were on them.
But that's like saying we should outlaw bars because a small portion of the population "can't handle their liquor" & wants to start bar fights when they drink.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Tenxer said:
They are on them because they were under the care of doctors for various mental issues. For every one mass shooter you have 500,000 to 1,000,000 patients who respond well to various antidepressants or antipsycotics. Do some people have incredibly undesirable side effects to these medications, of course. Can those issues lead to something like suicide, yes they can.

There's a list of murderers I've seen in a few emails going around that lists both the murderer and a "psychoactive" drug they were on. The list purports to show that SSRI's are causing these people to kill. They jump right past the whole common thread angle and go right for causation, nevermind that a portion of the drugs on the list aren't SSRI's. It's a bit like using terms like assault weapon, SSRI just has a ring to it.

Anyway, those medications are incredibly useful for a large portion of the population. And right now there isn't a true causal link between mass shootings and antidepressants. These guys were seeing psychiatrists/counselors for mental problems long before they killed.

dennishoddy

I continue to blame the whole mess on the media reporting.

Copy cats that want infamy in their death.

The incessant reporting of details, grieving family members, how its having an effect on the whole country wants these wannabe's with mental problems to get their names on the record books for the most carnage.

I was just about to loose it when I got up this morning to go to work, and listened on the news that some jerk-wad had hanged himself from the basketball goal at an elementary school in OKC.

How many kids had to see that? At least he offed himself and nobody else, but why in the hell do it on a school ground? Just another wanna-be.

In Ponca, the local Newspaper has made it a policy to not report on gang related activity, or reports of grafitti on buildings, or what ever.
Call it sticking your head into the sand if you want, but we don't have anywhere near the problems that similar city's of the same population have when they sensationalize gang activity.

I'll rest my case.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I've also decided not to debate people on this unless they can clearly list the differences between Prozac, Elavil, Haldol, Abilify, trazodone, and lithium. People want to lump all scary looking guns together and they seem to want to lump a lot of drugs under the SSRI label as well.

Latest posts