CMP Sales requirements.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
The CMP has some M1 Garands for sale and I an really thinking about getting one to add to the collection (not to mention I can find 30-06 everywhere). What I need to know is, does anyone know if a USPSA membership meets the club/organization requirement for the CMP?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It doesn't. You have to have some kind of marksmanship recognition. The CMP site has a list of clubs you can join, and compete in an event through, so you can buy their products. I've looked into it many times, but we don't have much in the way of offerings locally that fit the CMP's requirement. Plus, you can just buy a Garand privately and not have to do a bunch of legwork, albeit the price will be much higher.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking at the special grade. New barrel, new American walnut stock with CMP cartouche engraved. Reciever is refinished GI surplus or possibly new production for $995+24.95 shipping. In Oklahoma shipped directly to your door with no need for FFL.

dennishoddy

If your a member of a NRA affiliated gun club, your eligible.
I can forward you a membership application to the Ponca City Rifle and Pistol Club at your convience. :D

April 4 the CMP is putting on a service rifle match at the OKC Gun Club. They will have a trailer there with guns for sale to take home. I'm thinking I read you can qualify to buy one, by registering and shooting a match that day.

I don't have a clue what grade of rifles will be available, and its a limited quantity. I want one just like your after, but I'm not sure my work schedule will let me get to OKC that day to pick out the one I like. Some digging around on the CMP site might get some insite to this.

You may already know this, but most factory 30-06 is not recomended to be fired in the Garand. The rifle was not designed for the higher pressures of some modern ammo. Hornady puts out a line of ammo designed for the Garand, unless you reload, then this is a mute point,

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Josh Beauchamp said:
I think you are right. I was hoping USPSA did since I am already a member.
I'm pretty sure USPSA works. But I think you still need to be a member of an affiliated club. Get you ammo from them too. There is no better deal out there.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
No I was not aware of that Dennis. I will definitely have to research that. I did not know that the .30-06 cartridge had changed that much. Learn something new everyday.

dennishoddy

Josh Beauchamp said:
No I was not aware of that Dennis. I will definitely have to research that. I did not know that the .30-06 cartridge had changed that much. Learn something new everyday.
I still load IMR 4350 in my 30-06 bolt, which is a surplus military powder. I'm not sure that is what was used in the 40's, but the pressure curve may be compatible.
I'll do a little research.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I still load IMR 4350 in my 30-06 bolt, which is a surplus military powder. I'm not sure that is what was used in the 40's, but the pressure curve may be compatible.
I'll do a little research.
IMR 4895 is the standard.

4350 is way too slow and the curve isn't right. I know in the M1A 4064 is about as slow as you want to go and 3031 is the fastest if you are careful. I would assume that the M1 is very similar.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I am thinking about ordering one through them as well. The last time I checked USPSA was recognized and you just have to submit some of your score results. I am probably going to order one next month after shooting the match this weekend. I will also probably try to make it out to the CMP match in April

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I joined the kansas rifle association and it counted. Didn't need to shoot a special match or anything. I order their Greek M2 ball ammo for my Garand

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I am just going to get the Greek M2 ball ammo to shoot and I might get some of the Hornady stuff if I ever want to hunt with it.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I am with you Dennis. Eventually, I want a US Military service rifle display like Jim Scotten has on the Shooting USA set. Probably going to have to win the lottery to finance that though!

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I know exactly how you feel Dennis. I think the same way about most of the military surplus rifles I have.

Latest posts