CMP Sales requirements.

dennishoddy

Jesse Tischauser said:
Do they ever sell any mil surp M16's?
Ya know, there has been some discussion among the anti gunners that say the M-16 is aproaching the "relic and curio" status since its been in production for so long. They are afraid it may become like a CMP item that just gets shipped straight to your door. LOL.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a nice service grade garand last April when CMP year. Needed some stock work but it was a blast tearing it apart, stripping the grease, and refinishing the stock!

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
They don't even have milsurp M-14s or 1911s. With the idiots in Congress who are so damn afraid of people owning AR-15s, even if the government ever released surplus M-16s they damn sure wouldn't release it to us regular folk and dang sure not to the CMP to sale direct to us with out going t through an FFL.

dennishoddy

Josh Beauchamp said:
They don't even have milsurp M-14s or 1911s. With the idiots in Congress who are so damn afraid of people owning AR-15s, even if the government ever released surplus M-16s they damn sure wouldn't release it to us regular folk and dang sure not to the CMP to sale direct to us with out going t through an FFL.
I know. Just fantasizing on my part, but I did see a report where the relic and curio exemption was under discussion.

Matt Washburn said:
One other thing...they make pressure relief valves to replace the original valve that will allow you to shot commercial loads.

http://www.garandgear.com/component/content/article/39-m1-garand-instruction-guides/106-shooting-commercial-ammunition-in-your-m1-garand
Didn't know that. Great information! Now I'm really going to get into one. I've read the history of the garand, and one of the most interesting things I read is that the GI's knew that the sound of the clip getting ejected was a trigger for the enemy to attack, so they clinked one, with something, and took care of business.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh yeah, I am definitely going to be buying one of those. I will get the surplus M2 ball while I can but it won't be around forever. And a Garand (even if it is the special grade) is to big of a piece of American history to risk destroying and I am not buying a rifle for it to be a safe queen. It will be shot.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
CMP usually has ammo at the matches too...200 rounds for 99 with no tax. You can buy it from them online, but the shipping is pretty harsh.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Josh Beauchamp said:
Awe! Brainstorm! WW2 3-gun! Garands, pump guns, and 1911s. How freaking amazing would that be?
They did it at Texas Multi gun last year. Austin T shot it.

Marv Zuidema

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a service grade M1 I got from CMP last year. 43 production date, arsenal rebuilt with mixed parts. I paid $625 for it and the barrel and crown look like new. Coolest rifle I own. I've shot the Greek ball thru it and federal also makes a Garand specific load. I started reloading my own and have load data if someone needs. Problem with commercial ammo is it will bend the op rod if it's too hot. It will shoot moa at 100 yards if I do my part with hand loads with new brass. The Greek ball is subject to a lot bigger pattern with an occasional flyer. I'd sell almost any of my rifles, but not my Garand.

dennishoddy

Josh Beauchamp said:
Oh yeah, I am definitely going to be buying one of those. I will get the surplus M2 ball while I can but it won't be around forever. And a Garand (even if it is the special grade) is to big of a piece of American history to risk destroying and I am not buying a rifle for it to be a safe queen. It will be shot.
I have to regress. I have one milsurp. I bought it at at a farm auction, for very little. Its a 7.7 Jap that the previous owner converted to a .300 Savage, and put a Bishop stock on it. The previous owner hand engraved it, and put a mother of pearl insert into the wood. Crude, but unique, and that why I bought it.
Its a tack driver at 100 yds, and I haven't shot it further. 3 deer have been taken with it. I think the person that engraved the stock did one hell of a job. I know its crude if some engraving nazi looked at it, but I like it. Thats what counts.

P1010008-1.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I don't know why I want one, and it probably won't get shot that much, but by God I'm gonna have one. :D
Dennis you summed it up. Not sure that I would shoot it much but it would definitely get held. Lol

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah I am calling CMP Monday. I need to find out if USPSA is still an affiliated organization and I need to find out about shipping. If I have to pay for the individual shipping on the rifle and ammo and the en bloc clips they have I will probably wait til the CMP games in April so I do have to pay all the shipping costs.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice looking rifle there Dennis. I've got a chromed Mosin Nagant with that same Bishop stock. One of my favorites to shoot.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a 7.7 in my family. My granddad brought it home from the Pacific after the war. He actually smuggled the bolt home in his sea bag so he wouldn't have to weld the bolt shut. My uncle has it down in Florida but has said it is mine next time I make it down there as I am the resident firearms enthusiast in the family.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Josh Beauchamp said:
Awe! Brainstorm! WW2 3-gun! Garands, pump guns, and 1911s. How freaking amazing would that be?
I was going to make a magnetic kydex clip holster/pouch to hold the enbloc clips. May try it at a smaller local match first.

At the Pandemic 2012, a guy was using his garand. It was awesome to watch.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Get enough people doing it they might even create a new division. Would be difficult to be competitive otherwise.

Latest posts