Carry magazines? What kind?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm still using the Check Mate Military mag in brown paper wrap, I just change the spring for Wolff & add a SS Pachmyer rounded follower.
All my other semi auto pistols & most come with Mec-Gar & I buy them as well.

Last edited:

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
Wilson or Chip McCormick work well..

Give some consideration to making your extra mags 10 rounders. They work fine in my leather vertical open top Magazine holders. I have..No problem with them falling out or losing them.. For me they drop like rocks when I want from the weapon and the extra length makes them easier to handle grasp and insert into the weapon. I use Wilson 8 rounders aboard and Chip McCormick 10 round Power Mags as my extra mags.. Works fine for me. Wilson I guess has bought Chip McCormick..

Side note .. I had a few standard issue Canvas Military 1911 Pouches. I cut the top flaps off a couple of them and attached those to the tops of the standard mag pouch.. They then fit either 7 rounders or 10 rounders nicely...Great for field use.. Sadly a few years ago the canvass finally deteriorated to the point they no longer held together. Quality Control is really going to heck these days.. they only lasted somewhere between 40 and 50 years... I mean come on People...

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
My 1911 mag box has most every kind imaginable. But I'm a fan of metalform, CMC power mags (prior to WC buyout) and Tripp. And a big fan of the super 7 kit. For 45 auto

For super38 its metalform and 9mm its metalform with front crimp rather than a rear spacer, but honestly either style work in my ROCompact

Notshawn54

New Fanatic
I carry a Tripp in the gun. They are my favorite mags. My spare mags are CMC power mags. I wear my mag holder at 10 o'clock and like it to ride high. Unfortunately the baseplates of the Tripps dig into my bottom rib.

JoeDice

Fanatic
I use Wilson , Metalform, and MetGar . Also whatever original mags that came with the various 1911s that I have.
I keep the magazines separated in plastic bags marked for each specific weapon. Therefore I KNOW those magazines will run that specific weapon reliability. I do that because I have had experiences that a mag will work 100% in one gun but not in another!

1911KLW

Fanatic
Used Wilsons for years but the last ones i bought didn't run as good as in the past.Switched to CMC 8 rounders and happy with them.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
The ones that work and been proven to, most have been rebuilt 1+ times not brand loyal here

JoeDice

Fanatic
For my Dan Wesson .45 ACP ECO I have excellent results with this
Mec-Gar 1911 Officers 7 round .45 ACP nickel MGCO4507NPF
Mec-Gar 1911 Officers 7 round .45 ACP magazine with the nickel finish.

For my 9 mm 1911s I like Wilson Combat and MetalForm . The ones with the groove in the front of the mag.

Latest posts