Carry in restaurants

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Correct. From my understandings it's only federally regulated areas that we can't carry (schools, courthouse, airport,post office) . Private business can post "no weapon" signs but it is only to give them the right to call the police for you trespassing on their premises with a gun. So if it concealed then no one should ever know you are carrying then it is a non issue.

a business can post no gun signs. your carry permit requires you to respect the sign and not carry there. if you choose to go there armed you make those of us that follow the law look bad. if you carry and nobody sees it then you got away with it.

It really depends on the state. In some states, a posted no guns sign is enforceable, some states, it's not. The concealed carry laws differ a good bit from state to state. I used to be a federal civil servant, worked aircraft at a large DEPOT facility. It was on an Air Force base, so common sense stated I couldn't carry to and from work. This idea of not carrying on a government installation isn't always as clear as some think.

I recently read a report about a postal employee getting fired and arrested for having a weapon in his vehicle on property. Somehow a supervisor founded out he had a weapon, in his personal vehicle, in the PO parking lot. The federal statute, clearly states you can not carry on government PROPERTY. It seems this idea of what government property is can be a bit confusing. Do many just think it's ok in the parking lot, jus like many other places? There is no variance like there is for some locations, ie a school when dropping off a child, employee parking lots......

Code of Federal Regulations – Title 39 – which is named "Conduct on Postal Property" says "No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

It all comes down to integrity and paying the piper if you should be caught carrying somewhere you are not allowed. The key point that I take from thereads like this is that not all states have the same laws. It is the individual's responsibility to inform themselves of the laws of the states they are traveling to. And just as many here have slightly different interpretations of the meanings, you can bet that a LEO's understanding may be a bit different.

While I do speed from time to time, ok, almost all the time, I don't screw around with actions that are federally prosecutable.

It's on you ladies and gentlemen, please set the example. And please remember, if someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't mean they're wrong, they're just different.

Last edited:

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
I married (26 years now) a certified, ACLU card-carrying, Princeton trained, PhD, Ivory Tower Liberal. She liked the term "Moonbat" so much she named one of her Warcraft toons Moonbat.

Around here, you respect other opinions, you compromise, you listen or you sleep on the couch.

P.S. I never said a word to her about guns outside of instruction. After ten years of watching me, she said "if all gun owners were like you, I wouldn't have a problem with guns." After 20 years of watching me, she said "let me be clear about this. When I want to be a gun owner, the Ruger .22 is mine. You may borrow it to teach your classes. When I want to be a hard-core liberal anti-gun violence girl, the Ruger is yours. Any questions?"

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
My suggestion is example. Do not preach. Do not campaign. Demonstrate what a gun owner should look like. Answer questions with complete, unbiased, fact based accuracy. Promote accurate facts above all. Do not argue. Do not debate.

Be the gun owner that is the example we all want. They are afraid, allow them to be afraid. If you believed what they believe and your knowledge was as limited as theirs is, you would be afraid, too. They will see that you are not afraid, and they will want to know why. The answer is not "I'm not afraid because I have guns", the answer is you're not afraid because you have facts.

Different opinions and the people who hold them are not enemies. Ignorance and fear are the enemies.

It works.

She occasionally claims to own a gun, and more importantly her decisions and her votes are no longer based in fear and ignorance.

And finally, if someone looks at the same set of facts as you do and draws a different conclusion, so be it. That is their right, and their rights must be respected the same way we demand that our rights are respected.

Last edited:

AZGUY1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry in every restaurant, sign or no sign, as here they can only ask you to leave and "conceal carry" does mean "concealed" so who's going to know. It could be my P938 in a fanny pack with my cell phone and other items OR if the weather is appropriate under a sweatshirt in a shoulder holster.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
My suggestion is example. Do not preach. Do not campaign. Demonstrate what a gun owner should look like. Answer questions with complete, unbiased, fact based accuracy. Promote accurate facts above all. Do not argue. Do not debate.

Be the gun owner that is the example we all want. They are afraid, allow them to be afraid. If you believed what they believe and your knowledge was as limited as theirs is, you would be afraid, too. They will see that you are not afraid, and they will want to know why. The answer is not "I'm not afraid because I have guns", the answer is you're not afraid because you have facts.

Different opinions and the people who hold them are not enemies. Ignorance and fear are the enemies.

It works.

She occasionally claims to own a gun, and more importantly her decisions and her votes are no longer based in fear and ignorance.

And finally, if someone looks at the same set of facts as you do and draws a different conclusion, so be it. That is their right, and their rights must be respected the same way we demand that our rights are respected.

Well stated Sir

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't really see a need to carry in any establishment that clearly posts a no firearms sign because I know that sign will protect my wife and son. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank goodness for the liberals creating all these "safe spaces":p

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm constantly surprised at the number of gun owners who think "I got away with it" is the same thing as "it was right."

Walking into a restaurant with a sign means you're agreeing to their rules. It's your choice whether you walk in or not; it's your choice whether you agree or not. Then you break their rules and your word, and because you weren't discovered, you think that makes it okay. Thieves think the same thing.

I have a much higher opinion of myself. There's only one person who will know if I break a rule or not; that's the only opinion that matters.

Well, to me.

I don't obey their rules to win their approval.

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm constantly surprised at the number of gun owners who think "I got away with it" is the same thing as "it was right."

Walking into a restaurant with a sign means you're agreeing to their rules. It's your choice whether you walk in or not; it's your choice whether you agree or not. Then you break their rules and your word, and because you weren't discovered, you think that makes it okay. Thieves think the same thing.

I have a much higher opinion of myself. There's only one person who will know if I break a rule or not; that's the only opinion that matters.

Well, to me.

I don't obey their rules to win their approval.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's expand the discussion to carrying in any posted private establishment.

In an extreme sort if example, at what point do you say to the guy who lives in the small town with one grocery store on his side of town, if not only one grocery store at all, one drug store, one doctors office, and any one of them is posted?

Does he need to drive to the other side of town, or the next town over, because of a decal on a window posted by someone arguably ignorant of facts. I don't think I'm necessarily "right" if I choose to ignore the gunbuster, while I do think that I "may" be "justified". "right" and "just" might be synonymous in theory, but usually not in actual practice.

We make informed decisions based on consequences.

Do we drive 60 in a 55mph zone? I'd argue a car is more deadly than a gun, and statistically more likely to cause harm, and yet we make these informed decisions based on consequences that, A) I will likely not get a ticket, and B) the consequences of not moving with traffic are potentially worse than me obeying the letter of the law.

Is a CHP holder right? legally "no".
Are they justified? I'd certainly argue "maybe", if not "yes".

Last edited:

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like to have had a discussion with the owners of this store on their policies for this sign. 744D8CCF-F1DF-45DF-AF91-074587FF283E.jpegI wonder if there has ever been a fight in the food court over the last meatball. I saw lots of utensils that could have been used as weapons. Also note no listing of local or state laws that would be enforcable.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
If there's a visible sign right in front , I just don't go in . The only place it seems to come up around here seem to be gun shows and bars . And if I'm going to imbibe , I don't carry .

Latest posts