Carry Gun Match November 20, 2011 Heartland Outdoors

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrOsMjAVEQ&feature=youtu.be

here you go

Things I learned at this match:
1. drawing from a pocket is really slow, shooting from the pocket is much faster.
2. a laser sight is not much advantage from a conventional position, I can see where it might help in low light or awkward shooting position where you couldn't line up the sights quickly
3. .357 factory rounds are loud and blow the hell out of a pocket

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Thanks to everyone for coming out!

About Mike and his shoot-thru-the-pocket, let me set it up for you.

Mike had posted in passing about the only way he'd shoot thru his coat pocket was if it was a single target six feet away. Ok, done!

I had it arranged so he'd shoot that stage last. I ran him thru the other stage which deserves a special mention: at the second position where everyone had to shoot each of six targets once, reload, then shoot each in the head once, I told him to completely ignore one target, since his gun only held five...but I had a challenge for him. When he got to the second box, I'd call out a number and that would be the target he couldn't shoot. He said "sure."

At the second box, he was still reloading. While doing so he asked, "going to call a number?". I said, "I will when you're done reloading."

As he closed the cylinder, I said, "five.". He shot all but #5. As he completed the next reload, I called out "2!". Without skipping a beat, he put a head shot into all but #2. Way to go!

As he prepared for the pocket shoot, he said "I'm loading the magnums, now." I don't know about the rest of you, but I have fired exactly ONE magnum round (Cor-Bon) from a scandium gun. My hand hurt for two weeks!

At the signal, Mike fired five shots thru his Lands End coat pocket, scoring all hits in the center of the hostile target.

Mike, YOU ROCK!!

It was fun, I did cheat slightly though, the last 5 were Gold Dot .357 "short barrel" factory rounds from my Smith and Wesson M&P 340 scandium "thumper". Supposedly less recoil and muzzle blast but I'm not too sure about that. The only other time I've shot those loads thru it was at a Claude Werner snubby class. After that, I started carrying Buffalo Bore lead semi wadcutters as I figured 5 quick .38 sized holes was better than a lot of noise. Thanks for setting it up David, I'm ready for a walk thru the walmart parking lot in my newer winter jacket. :)

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
. Thanks for setting it up David, I'm ready for a walk thru the walmart parking lot in my newer winter jacket. :)

For those of you not familiar with another forum where they openly and unhesitatingly despise pocket holsters and those who use them, their first example to "make their point" is that you can't draw from a pocket if you're tackled onto your back in the Walmart parking lot. I've maintained two truths: if your first clue that something is amiss is when Bubba is on top of you, then your situational awareness sucks! Secondly, a gun in your pocket beats the one you left at home or even the car.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Here's an interesting video on how quickly a small revolver can be drawn from a pants pocket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03Dk-FamJo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss

here you go

Things I learned at this match:
1. drawing from a pocket is really slow, shooting from the pocket is much faster.
2. a laser sight is not much advantage from a conventional position, I can see where it might help in low light or awkward shooting position where you couldn't line up the sights quickly
3. .357 factory rounds are loud and blow the hell out of a pocket

that video is amazing!!!!

dennishoddy

For those of you not familiar with another forum where they openly and unhesitatingly despise pocket holsters and those who use them, their first example to "make their point" is that you can't draw from a pocket if you're tackled onto your back in the Walmart parking lot. I've maintained two truths: if your first clue that something is amiss is when Bubba is on top of you, then your situational awareness sucks! Secondly, a gun in your pocket beats the one you left at home or even the car.
This is not going to be a regular match for me, because of the distance, but what if you put on a pocket draw stage where the victim is on his back (90 degrees from the target for safety,don't want those feet shot) and had to shoot under a "car"(card board). Just a thought. Well, I just had another thought. Stages like this must be restricted to those that are still limber. :D

I actually shot my carry stuff, and tried in my mind to simulate actual carry situations, where one shoots, and shoots fast to try and stop the threat. I had several misses on the second shot with the snappy Kahr CW.40. Was not shooting for the win. (Thats my story, and I'm sticking with it.)
Real world results in a bad situation and intense pressure would probably be worse.
Made up my mind a long time ago to have the same gun, in the same ammo, in the same caliber in each of the vehicles I drive. No suprises if the SHTF.

Loved the match. Thanks David.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I actually shot my carry stuff, and tried in my mind to simulate actual carry situations, where one shoots, and shoots fast to try and stop the threat. I had several misses on the second shot with the snappy Kahr CW.40. Was not shooting for the win. (Thats my story, and I'm sticking with it.)

A great thing to do at this match. Maybe next match David will let those using pocket carry start with our hand in the pocket. Those shooting actual carry guns at this match get some practice in how a bit of pressure can cause all kinds of fun things to go wrong. Aside from the fun I had doing it, now I know I could shoot my snubby thru my pocket if I had to. It was sure faster than drawing it from the pocket and then shooting.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
This was one of the best Carry Gun matches we have had. The stages were creative with various firing positions (kneeling, leaning etc) David always puts on a good match but this one was awesome.

Also, thanks to Benjamin for keeping the scores

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
First I would like to thank David for talking me into shooting the match â€" well until I saw the scores ;-). Secondly everyone who assisted in running this match gets a well deserved thanks and Wes who was the primary SO for my squad, well I couldn’t had asked for a better SO or those that stepped up when Wes was shooting. Kudos goes to the Score Keeper as well.
The match was different, but that made it interesting. Everyone that I noticed was having a great time and joking around which says a lot about the match and the shooters.
I’ll be back out as time permits.

Jerry

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
What scenario driven stages? Gasp next thing you will be asking for reloads with retention lol.

Though the pepper spray event would be challenging to say the least!

Man were the reports crazy or what?

Jerry

Latest posts