Carry Gun Match - Heartland Outdoors 6-3-12

What gun Should David E shoot at the Carry Gun match?

• SigSauer .380

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • 6" S&W Model 29 (.44 magnum)

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Glock Model 20 (10mm)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 5" S&W Model 25-5 (.45 Colt)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (one that David has)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (one that you have)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Interesting match!

I shot my 6" Model 29 from a KyTac "EZ Ryder" inside the waistband holster, concealed. I've not shot this gun for probably 2 years. My speed loading technique was fine.....except for the "speed" part. The shots themselves were fairly fast and accurate and I acquired no penalties or time added. I was happy with everything but my reload. The last six rounds were on the low light stage, so I had some maximum loads for that part. Quite the muzzle flash!

I had jams with the .380, so I really can't compare the different platforms, other than to say I had no jams, misses or extra shots with the .44. None of which I can say about the .380

Next match will have more moving shadows!

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I enjoyed shooting my little .380, accuracy was pretty good, learned that clearing a double feed on a tiny gun isn't much fun, and a conventional competition type grip causes me to lock the slide open while shooting. Both good things to learn under the pressure of a match instead of desperately needing to fix it in a real shooting situation. I'd encourage anyone to shoot guns you either carry or don't normally shoot in a match here, it's fun and you learn things. For example, last night I asked one shooter who just ran an 18 shot course of fire without a reload what he normally carries. The answer, a snub. He did say he might try to shoot it next match as a second gun. That would be a good thing.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Here is a video of Dirty Harry Jr on the low light stage, the last 6 rounds are full house magnums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIe1RjLb6m4&list=UUMEqfzg9ZVgRhs66huDm8-Q&index=1&feature=plcp

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
The first 12 are my standard "woods load" consisting of 10 grains of Unique pushing a 240 grain SWC at about 1100 fps or so. Still a substantial load.

The last 6 were 210 grain Gold Dots @ about 1450 fps or more.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Is there a match up at heartland this weekend? I havent shot in months and I feel the itch, I need to scratch it.... Plus I owe david for my holster and need to get my mag pouches! Also I finally got lyndsay her M&P so she needs to try it out and I need to shoot my snubby!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Been carrying around those mag pouches for months! Be good to see you two again.

PM me
Already Did, btw, anyone got some 38 that isnt factory? and maybe a speed loader or two, I have one, since I dont carry more than one.

Latest posts