Carry a Knife for Personal Defense; When will you Use it?

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
I always carry a knife also, currently buck slim 110 s30v , that steel really does hold a edge. I would only use in defense as a last resort . I did witness how quick someone that knows how to use one can deploy it, back in the early 80,s I was at a little get together at a deer camp when two brothers were arguing and consuming adult beverages when yelling at each other turned to one of them picking up a broken handled hatchet and the other pulling his old buck 110 and stabbing the other one . I was about 2' if that away . I can tell you it was nothing like a movie seen that fight was over as soon as the knife came back out of his belly . Funny thing about that story the one with the hatchet was mad at me for some reason I didn't understand, the good LORD was looking after me and saved me that night !

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
Setting aside the "Law of Exigent Circumstances" (1) where to preserve innocent life (the area we are speaking of here) .. anything goes..

To effectively use a knife in most situations rendering the opponent "hors de combat" (2) may well require a great number of seperate wounds to the assailant. Since exangination is what may be required to cause cessation of all hostilities... it would likely be an extra bloody mess.. All preserved and photgraphed in ""Living Color" and presented to a Grand Jury then a Jury made of of people few of whom have ever actually seen violent death. Who have not killed anything but bugs or maybe a mouse in a mouse trap. People who are highly unlikely to have ever even dressed out a deer.

Justifying self defense with a fiream to a jury is a hard enough given the nature of many prosecutors .. Self defense with a knife would be many orders of magnitude even more difficult regardless of the merit of ones actions.

America is just not a knife culture and in US there is a cultural bias against knife use as a weapon.

For example...

For a long time before California fell off a political cliff.. It was a Felony to be in possesion of a concealed knife longer than something like 3.75 in.. at the same time being in possession of a concealed firearm was in many circumstances a misdemeanor.. Since that was Legislative and signed into law. The bias is well demonstrated ... it has not diminished.

(1) "Exigent circumstances" :

Circumstances that justify a person to take one or more actions which under normal circumstances may be considered unlawful.

While the focus today is on exigent circumstances surrounding police application of the 4th Amendment.. The term actually surpasses that one particular application.

For example Mr Brown sees a fire approaching his rural home and or homes in the area.. He knows Farmer Smith down the road has a Tractor with a blade he could use to cut a fire break.. Farmer Smith is not around to ask permission to use the Tractor.. Mr Brown applying the doctrine of "Exigent Circumstances" breaks down the locked door to Farmer Smiths house finds the Tractor Keys.. Takes the Tractor and heads down the road to fight the fire with it.. .Even if Farmer Smith were to file charges against Mr Brown for "Breaking and entering" , Grand theft tractor" Mr Brown's would have a legal defense to his actions successful or not under the Doctrine of Exigent Circumstances. (I say he saves everyone's homes and Farmer Smith's Corn Crop as well.. yay)

(2)

"out of the fight; disabled; no longer able to fight"

"Cult of the Dummy Cord"

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Setting aside the "Law of Exigent Circumstances" (1) where to preserve innocent life (the area we are speaking of here) .. anything goes..

To effectively use a knife in most situations rendering the opponent "hors de combat" (2) may well require a great number seperate wounds to the assailant. Since exangination is what may be required to causes cessation of all hostilities... it would likely be an extra bloody mess.. All preserved and photgraphed in ""Living Color" and presented to a Grand Jury then a Jury made of of people few of whom have ever actually seen violent death. Who have not killed anything but bugs or maybe a mouse in a mouse trap. People who are highly unlikely to have ever even dressed out a deer.

Justifying self defense with a fiream to a jury is a hard enough given the nature of many prosecutors .. Self defense with a knife would be many orders of magnitude even more difficult regardless of the merit of ones actions.

America is just not a knife culture and in US there is a cultural bias against knife use as a weapon.

For example...

For a long time before California fell off a political cliff.. It was a Felony to be in possesion of a concealed knife longer than something like 3.75 in.. at the same time being in possession of a concealed firearm was in many circumstances a misdemeanor.. Since that was Legislative and signed into law. The bias is well demonstrated ... it has not diminished.

(1) "Exigent circumstances" :

Circumstances that justify a person to take one or more actions which under normal circumstances may be considered unlawful.

While the focus today is on exigent circumstances surrounding police application of the 4th Amendment.. The term actually surpasses that one particular application.

For example Mr Brown sees a fire approaching his rural home and or homes in the area.. He knows Farmer Smith down the road has a Tractor with a blade he could use to cut a fire break.. Farmer Smith is not around to ask permission to use the Tractor.. Mr Brown applying the doctrine of "Exigent Circumstances" breaks down the locked door to Farmer Smiths house finds the Tractor Keys.. Takes the Tractor and heads down the road to fight the fire with it.. .Even if Farmer Smith were to file charges against Mr Brown for "Breaking and entering" , Grand theft tractor" Mr Brown's would have a legal defense to his actions successful or not under the Doctrine of Exigent Circumstances. (I say he saves everyone's homes and Farmer Smith's Corn Crop as well.. yay)

(2)

"out of the fight; disabled; no longer able to fight"

"Cult of the Dummy Cord"
Back in the 90's a felon used a gun to stop (as in dead stop if I recall correctly) He worked in a gas station, and apparently knew where the gun was located. The person who was shot was the aggressor, and I believe he hit the station attendant in the head with a piece of broken concrete, before he was shot. Apparent robbery attempt. Police said something to effect that they'd have to look into the use of a firearm by a felon. I never did hear the outcome was in the paper one day and all gone. I'm hoping that the Exigent Circumstances came into play re: this because it was totally a case of self defense. The law is strange in that all kinds of odd things are considered a felony. That would also have to be considered if folks were doing their job. This was in Michigan, but I wont say exactly where.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Back in the 90's a felon used a gun to stop (as in dead stop if I recall correctly) He worked in a gas station, and apparently knew where the gun was located. The person who was shot was the aggressor, and I believe he hit the station attendant in the head with a piece of broken concrete, before he was shot. Apparent robbery attempt. Police said something to effect that they'd have to look into the use of a firearm by a felon. I never did hear the outcome was in the paper one day and all gone. I'm hoping that the Exigent Circumstances came into play re: this because it was totally a case of self defense. The law is strange in that all kinds of odd things are considered a felony. That would also have to be considered if folks were doing their job. This was in Michigan, but I wont say exactly where.
Which proves knowing your State Laws, how and when to use Arms, and what to do after an armed conflict. This Will keep you from being hung.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I've carried a knife since I was eight years old. Way back then we could carry them to school and even played knife games in the school yard.

Today I'm a lot older and carry a gun and a knife. Switchblades have been legal in my state since 2016.

I see the signs about guns on doors and respect their rights and leave it in my truck. I've never even been asked about a knife.

As far as using a knife, utility and self defense are priority. At my age the element of surprise and close proximity would be required. I'm not going to be able to run away or fight for any length of time. The odds are against me.

I know enough about anatomy from EMT school to know where to cut and stab to do the most damage.

The knowledge is readily available with a simple google search.

Latest posts