Carbon fiber handguard

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking for advice on these XL carbon fiber handguards! Anybody ran any of these!

http://store.lancer-systems.com/lch-extra-long-15-cooling-slots-no-rails/

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186770&CAT=4209

http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com/products/components?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=47&category_id=10

Also looking to change the barrel on my Jp ctr-02
from a 20" medium contour to either a 18 or 16 light contour, I know I will have go to a shorter hg if I choose the 16. Any pros or cons on the 16 vs 18 would be appreciated!

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Ya I knew I would need a shorter gas system, would that have any negative affects on the way the rifle cycles or the recoil produced!

Chris_Andersen

Certified
Definately stick with rifle length gas. Of the handguards you have listed. They are all very nice, the Loki is going to be the lightest of the 3.

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Tony did the Loki one come with a light weight barrel nut! It says the one I want is 6oz but that can't be with the barrel nutt included! The other two list the weight with there barrel nut.

Never mind found out you have to supply the mil spec barrel nut!

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris are there any others I should be considering. Those are just the three I saw.

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick,
I have the Lancer XL Handguard if you would like to look at it. I haven't been able to put my AR together yet so I can't give a full review.

Kenny

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Ya I would love to look at it! Don't know how the octagon shape would fit in the hand! So it would be great to try it before buying one! I am leaning toward the Loki right now bc of how light it is, and the whole Point of the upgrades is to bring the weight down. My rifle is on the heavy side right now with that 20" medium contour barrel and a magpul prs stock it feels like it weighs a ton.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have a 15" PRI, a 16" AP customs, soon I'll have a 17" Loki and I have fondled the Lancer 15". They were supposed to send me one for T&E too but they must have forgot.

Here is my take on them all. The Long Loki is really cool! 17" on an 18" barrel is going to be the new rage. Loki/AP customs is definitely the lightest. I haven't done any destruction testing but I would also guess the lightest would be the weakest. The reduced weight comes from the thinner carbon tube and lack of big chunky aluminum barrel nut.

The PRI is the Cadillac of carbon tubes. It has a fancy barrel nut and it's fit and finish is excellent. It is pricey though.

The Lancer is dope! The octagon shape doesn't feel weird at all. It too has a fancy barrel but that actually has a QD sling swivel attachment point milled into it. That little option is very cool! The fit and finish and thickness is on par with the PRI. I believe the cost was similar too? The one thing that concerned me with the shape was trying to fit it in some weird ports or stabilize a pointed edge on something? I guess Having a round tube never gives u a flat surface to rest on for support either. Heck the flats on the sides and top/bottom may provide a nice flat surface for testing against barricades and ports.

I have a carbon Arms tube on my AR10. It is thicker than the Loki. Its close to the PRI thickness and maybe the same. I could measure them all if you needed me to. The carbon arms finish is not as nice as the PRI. I can't remember the exact prices of all of these but I remember thinking the Carbon Arms was kind of expensive for its level of finish compared to the PRI. One cool thing about the carbon arms is that you could mount it directly onto your JP barrel nut in about 10 minutes. I think not having to buy a batrel nut reduced the price significantly too. My biggest dislike with my carbon Arms is that there are no holes for ventilation. It gets hot!!!

All carbon tubes get incredibly hot sitting in the sun and when Shooting a lot. I highly recommend holes in them. Also bear in mind you need a sling swivel adapter for most of these. They are almost always sold separately.

If somebody gave $300 and said go buy a carbon tube id buy a Loki that was the same length as my barrel. Maybe 1/2-1" shorter than that actual barrel length so you don't blow the end off with your comp. then I would use the remaining $100 to buy a Syrnac Ordnance adjustable gas block. I haven't used one of these yet but it's in my bench ready to go. Seems like its gonna be the heat!

Chambers

actual GM
I'm almost positive that my Troy TRX Extreme 15" is lighter than the 15" PRI. It's $150 cheaper and comes with rail sections. Noveske also makes a cool push button sling adapter for it.

I haven't weighed it but I think it's about 13-14 oz.

I don't think I will ever want longer than a 15" handguard. You don't want your hand in close proximity to the port on a comp.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I don't think I will ever want longer than a 15" handguard. You don't want your hand in close proximity to the port on a comp.

Ask him how he knows this... lol...

I've got a 12" Clark CF tube on my 16" 3 gun rifle and I like the setup for me just fine. The Clark is not as "nice" as the PRI or Lancer but it was very inexpensive compared to the others. Jesse mentioned my only complaint, it does get HOT in the summer with no holes in it. Another thing I'd mention is the benifit of any of these tubes bolting to a barrel nut rather than having to be glued on. I'll probably have to destroy my handgaurd if it ever needs to come off for any reason.

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all the info guys. I have so many to choose from now that it may take me a while to pick! Hey Jesse seems that you never pass up a chance to handle an extra long tube! Lol! Thanks a bunch for your run down on the ones u have used/seen! I didn't see the 17" Loki is that something they will be coming out with soon.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thanks for all the info guys. I have so many to choose from now that it may take me a while to pick! Hey Jesse seems that you never pass up a chance to handle an extra long tube! Lol! Thanks a bunch for your run down on the ones u have used/seen! I didn't see the 17" Loki is that something they will be coming out with soon.

Custom order my friend.

I like my aluminum Troy TRX 13" handguard. It's insanely light and very strong.

13"? :s_laugh: That will leave them laughing at the line. 17" is the new 13".

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Cool didn't know they would make a custom length for you! Ok so know that I got my hg kind of figured out, should I get a Titan or rolling thunder comp, or any others I should be considering!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
13"? :s_laugh: That will leave them laughing at the line. 17" is the new 13".

Your mom still likes my 13" :D

Seriously though, unless you have long monkey arms I don't see the need for the super long handguards. The more handguard that's on there, the more weight you have.
Anything longer than a 13" or maybe max of 15" handguard for me would have me stretching my arms out too far to where it's uncomfortable.

Cool didn't know they would make a custom length for you! Ok so know that I got my hg kind of figured out, should I get a Titan or rolling thunder comp, or any others I should be considering!

Titan and Rolling thunder are both the go to comps right now.

Latest posts