Best Shotgun for under $300....

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Planning on getting a shotgun, but limited on funds. Trying to decide between a Mossy 500, or a Rem 870. I have owned both, and don't honestly have a preference, but I do like that the 870s can have extended mag tubes. This will be a dual purpose gun for hunting as well as a defensive/competition gun, so I plan to have two barrels, but will start with a 18.5 or 20 inch.

Anyone know of an option that's better than the two I listed, or have an opinion on the benefits of the one over the other? I would be leaning very heavily on an 870, but have heard their quality control has been declining.

Also if any of you know of, or see a good deal on one, let me know.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
TacticalK9 said:
if benelli had pistols rifles and mail order brides you'd have 4 of each lol
They make both and I don't own any. Benelli shotguns are the best I've used for 3 gun and home defense. I had a beretta for clays that was awesome but it would do what the OP is after.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Sigh..... so now to find one for under $300....

Suggestions for if I can't?

Just had baby number 6, I am on a budget....

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, well I have some time before I "have" to get a shotgun. Anything to look for in the Benelli? like to stay away from? Is it hard to get a youth length stock, or to shorten the ones on them?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, and if I find a deal on the longer barreled ones, can i chop the barrel on them? or are they lined?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Kevin, they are out there. I just bought one with a Nordic tube on it that holds 10 rounds. What's that Jesse a +6? Looks brand new except for a little barrel clamp scratch. I got the box, manuals, chokes, original tube parts and all. But I didn't get the mystical and magical bottle of Benelli oil. :(

I gave 3 Benjamins for it. And I think there's a 26" Nova on OSA right now. After having several 870s I can state that the Nova is like night and day better. Dooooooiiiit!

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Been perusing Gunbroker. Seeing some deals so yeah, gonna mess with a buddy of mines Nova tonight if I can but I may be sold...... Darn you all........

If yall see any deals, PLEASE let me know. The one on OSA is sold....

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
my old adage is keep saving up and looking. don't be in a rush to buy. the right gun and deal eventually comes up.

I would never own an 870 Express. A Wingmaster yes, but not the express.

for 3 gun, listen to the above.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Dux-R-Us said:
my old adage is keep saving up and looking. don't be in a rush to buy. the right gun and deal eventually comes up.

I would never own an 870 Express. A Wingmaster yes, but not the express.

for 3 gun, listen to the above.
The express 870's are just crap. Had one and it gave me so many fits you couldn't give me another. The older wingmasters are very nice, but I've never seen one for less than $350. Novas have that huge loading port and the lifter locks up when pressed up to load so shells just fall right in. The one I had for a bit shot slugs very well. I'd just sock money away for a bit until you find a nice 24 or 26" gun.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, I am convinced. Thanks all now to find the right one. Sent a few messages on GB so now the waiting game. Mom just said she may pitch in to help buy one so may be able to get the mag extension too...

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I had emailed the yesterday, got a message back and it was a 28. Pretty set on a 24 even if I have to get a camo one. Have a few in my watch list..... Patience isn't my strongest attribute...

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Kevin S. said:
Pretty set on a 24 even if I have to get a camo one.
Mine is a 26", my +6 tube fits it just about perfect & allows me 10 in the tube.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
Mine is a 26", my +6 tube fits it just about perfect & allows me 10 in the tube.
borrowed a buddy of mines 26 and I don't dislike it, just a preference thing. Won't pass up a good deal on a 26 waiting for a 24 that may not come.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's my thoughts on barrel length.

If you are sticking a +5 or +6 Nordic tube on it why not go ahead and get the longer barrel? My +6 Nordic tube sticks out exactly 3/4" farther than my 26" barrel so you have to deal with the length anyway. So why not go ahead and fill that length with barrel? Like said you have to deal with it, so in the process get yourself a little more velocity and sight radius out of the deal. The velocity may be a moot point with 2 3/4" shells but if you stuff it with 3" or 3.5" turkey loads to blast a gobbler it might be a benefit. And the increased sight radius is dang sure helpful with slugs. I agree that 28" would be a bit much though.

Latest posts