Best place to conceal if you have a gut?!?!

mdo

Fanatic
I sit 90% of the day and have a belly, so the typical waistband area, i think would be very uncomfortable. I am thinking probably calf area, but wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. I havent picked out a gun yet, bc i want to figure out, where ill put it, so i know how much room i have!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
IWB strong side hip.

Of course that depends on how much belly we are talkin' about. TOO much belly would make drawing from the ankle pretty hard.... TOO much belly can make a shoulder holster hard to reach

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
IWB at 6 oclock... I've carried a full sized pistol for more years than I care to remember at the small of my back. This may not be the "professional" way to go, but it has always worked for me.

iwb will be the most comfy, you just gotta find the sweet spot. and maybe get some new pants, lol

TroyF

TheBearcat
IWB, behind the hip I would think. All of this depends of where your extra luggage is.

And FYI, Rusty conceals a j-frame in his goatee. I built the holster for that..........

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a G26. I have a gut, or table muscle. I carry in the small of my back, and somtimes at about 4 oclock.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I wasn't making any large boned scary looking man jokes, just merely pointing out that you have a extraordinary goatee. You are in good company now, Rusty. I always give KurtM fits about his stache.....

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
22 mini mag and hang it around your neck - not really - it is a personal thing. If you are at a shop see if they will let you try on and walk around the shop a couple of min to try the holster. If you know someone see if you can borrow for a day or two. What feels ok at first you may find later there is something better for you. Most I would think carry IWB about 4-5:30. Worse case a fanny pack.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I'm not a big guy, 5'11" 215lbs, but I really like carrying full size guns. For me that means IWB. I've been blessed (not) with a fairly flat belly (treadmill) so appendix works with my body. That for me works better than behind the hip carry.

I think there is always a trade off between comfort and concealment. But once you get use to carrying, I think the discomfort goes away.

And don't neglect the belt......probably as important, if not more, than the holster. And that's coming from a guy who pays his ex-wife payments with holster money.

dennishoddy

I think there is always a trade off between comfort and concealment. But once you get use to carrying, I think the discomfort goes away.

Good point. When first starting, it was uncomfortable as hell. Now, its like putting on your shoes.
Gun goes on as well.

I will say this, after awhile, just putting the gun on, becomes very routine, and at times have had to remind myself that I even have it on. Complacency I guess.

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
I was going to go for the joke and suggest a gym bag, but strong side hip to just behind the hip would probably work best. Shoulder holster, cross draw, and ankle holsters are usually very difficult for guys with a gut. Small of back is very uncomfortable if you are sitting in a car or a chair for long periods. Depending on your attire, IWB or a pancake style OWB could work, with the OWB being more comfortable the IWB more concealable.

mdo

Fanatic
Thanks for all the input. I guess my concern with my "table muscle" is when im sitting, my shirt being pulled tight and showing the holster through it. Im not huge 6' 245, but i have a spare tire, that wont leave me alone!