AR10(308)

Bigfuzzy

Well-Known Fanatic
the 308 uppers & lowers you can get from PSA are they good, bad or indifferent?
I am not looking for a bench gun, just an all around rifle, less than 500 yards.
would like for it to hit the barn door not the side of the barn.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I have never owned the 308 PSA but have owned and still own PSA .223's. I have had about all brands from up to down the cost scale. I love the PSA's. I shoot them and at the present time I have at least 3 of them, I will never say a bad word about them.
I am not a long range junky, but, i want it to fire when I pull the trigger and mine have always done that...

Just my 2 cents worth

STeve

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had good results with their 5.56 stuff but a friend of mine, who knows more about ARs than I do, had an unsatisfactory experience with a PSA AR10 barrel. PSA basically said they would back a complete rifle or an upper that they built but he was out of luck with a barrel. Caveat emptor.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems like they had some cycling issues, but I think that was the early models and may have been resolved. AR-308's are not as compatible as AR-15's. There's more incompatible variations, the most prevalent being the DPMS LR-308. Now everyone has a Gen 2, and I don't think any are compatible with each other.

Out if the box, the S&W M&P-10 is a sweet package.

The one thing PSA did differently than everyone else: they use a longer receiver extension (tube) allowing the use of standard buffers in different weights. I think all the other brands use a standard length tube, requiring a short buffer without much variety.

dixieheat1

Fanatic
I have never owned the 308 PSA but have owned and still own PSA .223's. I have had about all brands from up to down the cost scale. I love the PSA's. I shoot them and at the present time I have at least 3 of them, I will never say a bad word about them.
I am not a long range junky, but, i want it to fire when I pull the trigger and mine have always done that...

Just my 2 cents worth

STeve
Where is Steve from Hanahan??? Went to Fla. and fell off the map!

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
QC has kind of fallen off. Their 9mms are plagued with problems. 2-3 fail every match on the weekends at Mid Carolina. There's a PSA employee who doesn't use one anymore who shoots there

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
In general, a longer barrel produces more velocity, since the expanding propellant gas will continue accelerating the projectile for a longer period of time. However, considering there is a hole in the side of the barrel for the gas system, the length of the barrel beyond that has less effect on velocity (than were it a bolt action). The length of the gas system (rifle, mid, carbine, pistol) has more effect on velocity on an AR platform rifle.

You can also compensate for shorter barrels and gas systems by handloading with faster powders, but you generally don't see that with .308 Win and barrels >16". I see it done more with 300 Blackout and pistol length systems.

Latest posts