AR stock selection for competition rifle - balance vs weight?

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
Cool, y'all have given me a lot to think about... That ACE Ultra Lite certainly looks attractive, especially at that price.

Thanks again.

SgtDave

Well-Known Fanatic
I went with the ACE skeleton stock on my JP .223 and JP .308. I like my rifles lighter so the stock works best with my guns as they have LW profile barrels.

P.E. Kelley

Well-Known Fanatic
In deference to my fellow Pro shooter JT I feel balance means a great deal!

I will lighten the front or weight the rear to achieve a weight distribution so I can grab
my AR by the pistol grip and have it not want to drag me down muzzle first.

Even at 8.5 pounds or more I can hold it at arms length and shoot it like a pistol…comfortably.

Keep in mind that I am old and out of shape and have become accustomed to running 14 pound M14 super match rifles
at 3 gun events so the "need" for flyweight rifles is lost on me.

Each to their own.

Oh..and I love the UBR stocks

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
I don't like the ACE. Makes the rifle too front end heavy and disrupts the rifle's balance for me. I run a Magpul PRS now but will give their MOE Rifle length stock a shot when it's released.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I am NOT a pro shooter like Pat and Jessie, matter of fact I'm not even a semi-pro or Amature. I, like My amigo Pat, come from the M-14 world and don't mind a bit of weight, but if it is a carbine...read mini caliber coyote shooter/paper puncher it damn well should weigh like a carbine!

Now with that said, I disagree with BOTH Jessie and Pat. It matters not where the weight is as long as most of it is BETWEEN the pistol grip and where you put your hand on the foreend. This is the area we are "driving" when we swing the gun around. If the weight is too much forward of this it will swing slow and stop slow. If the weight is to the rear it will swing fast and stop fast, but it will be jittery under recoil AND when you stop it fast. I don't want a gun that ballances at the pistol grip...just in front of the mag well is good!

As for stocks, it is darn hard to beat a good old A1 or A2 stock, but they aren't "uber cool"

Matt Rigsby...this is for you, Jessie is sooo far above me in three gun skills and....well...EVERYTHING to do with any kind of shooting. Matter of fact I can't even see him he is so high on the pedistal he has made for himself

P.E. Kelley

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think that you and I Kurt are that far off in our balance point.

See...
p1117795272-5.jpg

Balanced on a 3/8" Carriage Bolt head.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Matt Rigsby...this is for you, Jessie is sooo far above me in three gun skills and....well...EVERYTHING to do with any kind of shooting. Matter of fact I can't even see him he is so high on the pedistal he has made for himself

LOL.. love the smartassery :D

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Pat some S.O.B. bolted a gun to your work bench! I say we find this sucker and overhaul him but good! I can't beleive it, and I know you got work to do!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Pat some S.O.B. bolted a gun to your work bench! I say we find this sucker and overhaul him but good! I can't beleive it, and I know you got work to do!
Can I drink beer & watch you guys kick the crap out of him?

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
He'll yeah Tony......as long as you pass a cold one to us now and then. A good overhaulin is thirsty work!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
LOL, I'll keep that 50 cal bottle opener of yours that I'm so fond of workin' double time ;)

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
What about what Daniel Horner is using the XLR (it has a cheerk rest) or the HP Armory stock (with cheek rest) both are light weight. Any opinions on them if your looking for a light weight stock.

Latest posts