AR stock selection for competition rifle - balance vs weight?

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm getting close to finishing a competition rifle build and need to pick a stock. Current config: Loki 18" double fluted rifle gas barrel, 17" carbon fiber handguard, Aimpoint T1. Current stock is a cheap M4 stock I had laying around.

As configured, it weighs just over 7 lbs, but feels pretty front-heavy. Would it be better to sacrifice some weight by balancing the rifle with a heavier stock? Or would you keep to something light like a CTR, etc?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have te same setup except I have a 15" troy alpha rail instead of the carbon fiber.
My stock is a VLTOR clubfoot riflestock using a rifle length buffer tube. Seems to balance very well for me.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I have te same setup except I have a 15" troy alpha rail instead of the carbon fiber.
My stock is a VLTOR clubfoot riflestock using a rifle length buffer tube. Seems to balance very well for me.

I just picked one up. It's awesome.

They still show as available on clearance, for $50.

http://www.vltorstore.com/clearance-arm-rifle-stocks/

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I looked at that stock Tony. Do you use the long or the short one?

Would that make his gun seem even more "front heavy"
I use the long one.
I use a 15" CF Handguard & I'm sure my barrel weighs more than his.
I've not noticed my rifle being "front heavy" it feels pretty good actually.

What does that mean exactly.....as in what makes it bad?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I would think the same thing would apply to an AR platform as a hunting rifle (maybe not). Most [hunters] prefer the weight distributed, not all at the end of the gun

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I would think the same thing would apply to an AR platform as a hunting rifle (maybe not). Most [hunters] prefer the weight distributed, not all at the end of the gun
You don't typically run & gun with a hunting rifle.

so heavier is better as long as the center of gravity is under the magwell?
I'll pass & take off weight where I can......stock, handguard, barrel, wherever.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
so heavier is better as long as the center of gravity is under the magwell?
I'll pass & take off weight where I can......stock, handguard, barrel, wherever.

Balanced (not heavier) is what I like in a non-AR rifle. But I see your point about 3-gun, probably doesn't matter where the weight is, as long as it is lighter

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Lighter isn't ALWAYS better. Neither is heavier. Smooth is better and balanced helps. It's mostly personal preference and up to the user to find what they like.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Lighter isn't ALWAYS better. Neither is heavier. Smooth is better and balanced helps. It's mostly personal preference and up to the user to find what they like.
I agree 100% and it's also purpose determined as well.
If I'm shooting for precision I wouldn't want a light rifle, but for running around my preference is to make it light.

Chris_Andersen

Certified

This. Shoot it for a while, and make sure you want to make a change before you spend any money. You might end up liking it.

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking about running a UBR for balance and ergos, and just focus on staying lean and quick to optimize my movement.

Any thoughts there?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
The UBR is the heaviest stock out there. And at $200-250, not the cheapest. I've tried them, three times in fact thinking that I might like it the next time, but after 1 or 2 matches I sell them. It might balance your gun a little better, but for me it just made the whole thing too damn heavy! Although some guys run them and like them. Back to the personal preference deal. There are guys that have shot way more than me and taken way more classes than me and have even taught way more classes than me that know all there is about AR's and how to set them up for optimum weight, balance, and speed. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to answer your question much better than I could ever even hope to.

Redline

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the ACE SOCOM they are pricey and a little on the heavy side but balance out my 20" JP nicely. I would like to shoulder ACE's new light weight design and check it out but haven't seen one at the range yet. I think the mayor is going to them so he may have some thoughts.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
There are guys that have shot way more than me and taken way more classes than me and have even taught way more classes than me that know all there is about AR's and how to set them up for optimum weight, balance, and speed. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to answer your question much better than I could ever even hope to.
I think you know as much as anyone bro.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I never worry about balance. Lighter always just feels better. I am selling my ACE SOCOM stocks to Redline and am switching to the ACE Ultra Lite stocks. They consists of a buffer tube and a 4-6 oz butt stock.

Latest posts