Anybody make opening day of dove season?

dennishoddy

My connection was down last night, but killed 14 for the morning hunt.
Went this evening and killed another 14.
This has GOT to be my best year ever for dove. One quarter section of stubble is holding hundreds of birds. Amazing.

e5777a55.jpg

75dbe890.jpg

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Went out friday morning, 3 of us got 50 birds. went back out saturday morning got 4 and then the birds were gone. had a great time.
Some white wings came by but didnt come in. would have been a nice bonus.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Went out friday morning, 3 of us got 50 birds. went back out saturday morning got 4 and then the birds were gone. had a great time.
Some white wings came by but didnt come in. would have been a nice bonus.

Uh isn't the limit 15 per person?

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
50Birds total for the weekend.limit is 90 for three after first day. But you know okie dove hunters cant count right anyway. lol.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
From the way your post read to me, sounded like 3 guys got 50 dove Friday morning. 15x3=45-50=5 over da limit. I can't count nor ccomprehend what is written on teh interwebz most of teh time.

dennishoddy

I made it back to the field today to start disking and saw very few birds. They must have moved south with this cool spell

dennishoddy

I'll give it another try Sunday. Have to move equipment , and will see if they are flying over there. One should think the birds from the north should be moving in.

Coythtr, still in the hunt! :D

Coythtr

Fanatic
Went this morning, shot 4boxes between 2 of us by 8:00 left with 15 birds, wow need some practice.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw about 100 two miles north and a mile east of the Ponca City gun club. First time I have actually seen a flock of dove this season.

dennishoddy

Went this morning, shot 4boxes between 2 of us by 8:00 left with 15 birds, wow need some practice.
I'm trying to remember the exact numbers, but If my memory serves me right, the national average is 4 birds per box of shells. I don't know how they come by these numbers, but this is what I remember.
You beat the average. :D
Most dove shooters early in the season, don't give enough lead to the birds, as judging the distance with a little bird is tough.

There have been tons of opinions for the best choke, and I'm not going to get into that discussion.

Shooting over decoys, I'll use modified, and shooting long range, with a long lead, I'll use modified....Check your pattern.

Latest posts