Anybody make opening day of dove season?

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with ya. Drivin out today will be dropin birds in the morning.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
aaa405aa.jpg

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
3 of us, 41 birds, 4 shy of a full limit by 9:30am. Not the best but not too bad considering the year we've had.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Good looking dog. My dog is still too young but hopefully next year she'll be ready. She's a weimerarner.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Good looking dog. My dog is still too young but hopefully next year she'll be ready. She's a weimerarner.

Thanks, she is my buddy's dog. She had a litter at the beginning of the summer. There are still 3 pups left. They decided to help like mom, but they decided they would rather eat them.

Here is a pic of my pups.

View attachment 1289

Had to look up pics of your breed of dog. Those are some good looking dogs. Can you use them for retrieving waterfowl?

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 33

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I don't think their coat is made for that cold. If I really think she's good enough and takes to the water, I may get a neoprene vest help her retain some heat.

I had a black lab for 12 years and that sob was a hell of a good dog. I trained him myself and I'm dammed proud of the job I did. He died this past spring so that's when I got the Weimaraner. She shows retrieving potential but she's still pretty young. And smart.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry about your lab, but glad you were able to experience of having a great dog! You should ask Cole about the special ability his lab possessed.

The vest does helps. If the dog doesn't like the water maybe you can use her for field hunts.

Labs are amazing. The one on the left is 12 or 13. Absolutely a great dog. She hates game wardens.

The one on the right is 6 and a hell of a dog as well. She can't swim as fast but she can run!!!

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I quail and pheasant hunt so my goal is to get her trained up for that. I just love the way weimaraners look.

85a29e0d.jpg

She's a lot bigger now.

dennishoddy

I just got back in. My buddy got screwed at the last minute, and could not get off, so I hit the pond, and got 10 in about 30 minutes. Pics to follow tomorrow.

been

Well-Known Fanatic
i want to go really bad but for some reason they dont let us get out of school.oh well maybee this weekend

dennishoddy

Haven't had time to put up pics, but did get a limit this morning on passing birds. I'll bet those guys that keep canceling will be kicking themselves in the butt. :D

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I'm going back out in the morning. It's just too damn hot in the evenings for me. Maybe if the limit was higher or the birds were bigger I'd brave the heat. Anybody else notice scrawny birds this year?

dennishoddy

I'm going back out in the morning. It's just too damn hot in the evenings for me. Maybe if the limit was higher or the birds were bigger I'd brave the heat. Anybody else notice scrawny birds this year?
Yes, the birds are very small. Their craws are full of grain, and weed seeds, but I'm thinking late hatch. If I'm not wrong, dove can get in at least two hatches during the summer.

Its been hotter than hell in the evenings, but had a little shade thursday to sit in, and Friday morning, had a nice cool breeze to get a limit.
First pic is Thursday evening with 11 birds, and the second is this mornings birds, for the limit.

We grilled dove tonight so I can get out in the morning. Really tasty.:D

77f09e91.jpg

da5a8f8d.jpg

dennishoddy

I passed on a lot of them that had short tails when flying by. Those seemed to be the ones that were immature. Coming in head on, one couldn't tell.

I try to take a different shotgun every day. Tomorrow is the Sweet 16 :D

Latest posts