Any reloaders here...?

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
I reload 22 hornet, .223, 38/357,10mm, 45 acp,and colt, 50 gi. Anything interesting?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Brass cleaner; tumbler or a sonic cleaner, or both?

Scales; digital or balance beam?

Dies; full length?

Looking to get back into rifle and pistol reloading.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I currently load 9mm, 38 Super, 45 ACP for the semis, and 38 Special, 44 Special, and 45 Auto Rim (for my wheel guns). I'm utilizing (2) Dillion progressives (RL450 & RL550), (2) Lee Pro 1000, and a very old c. 1960s Lyman single stage. I find this hobbie (almost) as enjoyable as shooting. Very therapeutic, quality (me time) out in my shop! I highly recommend you jump back in with both feet Greg, after you get settled into your new digs!

DukeSoprano

Well-Known Fanatic
Yesterday's 38 Super.....and my set up
86aa5fe267404c24fc2fae1be55f4d5e.jpg

5a0f7a1db67b8c14e51e3961aed1d75f.jpg

af1ee9b3fb6a56627acabfb03ca36387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
Brass cleaner; tumbler or a sonic cleaner, or both?

Scales; digital or balance beam?

Dies; full length?

Looking to get back into rifle and pistol reloading.
Vibratory with dry(corncob) media. Add a little bit of nufinish car polish and the cases stay since and shiny

Digital. ANY draft will affect a balance beam, plus they take forever to dampen down.

Dies:
carbide for pistol.
Rifle, full length is generally my choice since it allows me to bump back the shoulder if needed. You can "always" use full length for neck sizing but the reverse is not true. My AR gets a full length resize every time. The bolt guns generally get neck sized for better accuracy.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Same here... Always been interested in reloading, but just never took "the plunge".

All I would ever reload is the common, basic, 230gr FMJ .45 ACP that everybody's dad and older uncle have shot in WWII. I believe it's 5 grains of Alliant Bullseye powder and a 230gr bullet pressed into a perfect .45 ACP shell casing. But then I'd be afraid of doing something wrong, as I have never reloaded before.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
me too--reading,watching,learning..still worried I might burn the house down or blow up my toys. I need a lot of time and a tutor I think
Ditto... I have seen numerous You Tube videos on reloading a basic 230gr FMJ round. The guy is sitting there going, "You do this, then you do this, then you check this, etc..." and put together a nice video. BUT --- you still sit there thinking to yourself, "Yeah, but..." and you still have dozens of questions "Why?..." and stuff like "What would happen if..."

DukeSoprano

Well-Known Fanatic
It is a very rewarding hobby and I sure there are a lot of people here to help anyone get started. My advice is go with a Dillon 650 and start by reloading a revolver cartridge.
My biggest problem is I love trying new loads!
I have only been reloading for a little over a year, I would help anyone who wanted to learn, text, phone, facetime, visit if not too far or you are all welcome to visit my home.
Good luck!
Jeffrey

DSTALLGUY

Active Fanatic
Ditto... I have seen numerous You Tube videos on reloading a basic 230gr FMJ round. The guy is sitting there going, "You do this, then you do this, then you check this, etc..." and put together a nice video. BUT --- you still sit there thinking to yourself, "Yeah, but..." and you still have dozens of questions "Why?..." and stuff like "What would happen if..."

It is that easy. If you can take a 1911 fully apart and reassemble then reloading is about the same difficulty. Can you folllw a recipe? Buy a pair of digital calipers, a media tumbler, a digital scale, dies for your press and (here's the important part) reloading books. It took me 3 years of shooting to get up the nerve to dive in to reloading....now 12-15k rounds later and I enjoy it. Allows me to shoot more for the same money, keeps me "into shooting " stuff during the blizzard days or rainy days or days I feel like being constructive but not bathroom remodel constructive...more like 1 notch above doing the dishes constructive. Been reloading for 5-6 years - 9mm, 10mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, more 45 ACP and still more 45ACP.

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
When I started reloading it was back before the infernal net was invented. All I had to go on was the reloading manuals. These are still an excellent resource that you WILL NEED. There is good info on yuck tube there is also bad info. If two manuals agree on a technique or method go with them and disregard Bubba. Past that, to me, reloading is much like cooking. Follow the recipe! Invest in a inexpensive chronograph. If manual A says 4 grains of X powder gives Y velocity and manual B says it takes 4.2 grains of the same powder to give the same velocity, this is normal. There is a difference between chambers and barrels. Start with the lowest powder charge listed and work up until you are happy with accuracy or you reach the highest velocity shown.