Any Amazon Echo owners? Time to polish up your tin foil hat . . !

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
My kids got me one for Christmas a couple years ago. I keep it unplugged and in a drawer. I ought to ask the same questions, video it and post the video.

Only I'll ask about the No Such Agency (NSA).

It doesn't shut off like in the hoax videos. It gives you a statement about tak8ng privacy seriously. If 9ne is REALLY that worried about the CIA, NSA or another spook organization, I'm guessing having an Echo in the house is a bad idea. Get rid of all the TVs, the phones and GPS devices as well.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I like mine. Mine went off while watching the video and it replied to each of them.

45caldude

Active Fanatic
Being connected to a network (wired or wireless) you give up your privacy no matter what device it is. You think Walmart is offering you free wifi because they're nice? For now you can just shut off don't join open wifi networks on your phone. When 802.11ax (wifi 6) becomes mainstream next year might wanna hit that NFC button to off. Wrap your RFID chips in tinfoil. Bluetooth already operates at 2.4. So spreading the spectrum to 1-7ghz lets other connections happen.

So I'd worry less about an Alexa than a phone / mobile device. How's that for some tinfoil hat stuff:)

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
You're crazy if you don't think they can track what you browse, what you buy with the MVP, and can't offer you ads based on what they think you'll buy.

45caldude

Active Fanatic
90% of that went over my head.....

I've been using an RFID card holder for some time now. I also do not have phone set to auto join and I don't use store WiFi

What you're doing is smart. I apologize for being overly security technical, it's kind of my thing. People that allow to connect to open wifi should look at the https://www.wifipineapple.com/ They can redirect your connection to their access point and you wouldn't even know. At that point they can capture your data. Most traffic is safe because of SSL, but not all. However, I run at work and at home to decrypt various SSL traffic on wired and wireless via Cisco FTD. I'll just show the image without going into the details. So I've put my Alexa and many other devices through this test. Again, sorry for being a security geek.

ftddecrypt.jpg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
What you're doing is smart. I apologize for being overly security technical, it's kind of my thing. People that allow to connect to open wifi should look at the https://www.wifipineapple.com/ They can redirect your connection to their access point and you wouldn't even know. At that point they can capture your data. Most traffic is safe because of SSL, but not all. However, I run at work and at home to decrypt various SSL traffic on wired and wireless via Cisco FTD. I'll just show the image without going into the details. So I've put my Alexa and many other devices through this test. Again, sorry for being a security geek.

View attachment 1873
Edited- I must have misread something. As you were.