Alabama cops shoot wrong guy

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see a whole lot of discussion about cops shooting and killing the wrong guy at the mall on Thanksgiving Eve. The young man killed, was legal to carry concealed. His father was a cop in a different town in Alabama (from what I saw in an earlier article).

Cops responding to the mall shooting saw someone "brandishing" and running away from the scene. Now they've apparently caught the correct shooter:
http://newser.com/s267931

According to the article above, the young man killed was an acquaintance of the original 18 year old that was assaulted (shot but not killed; after a verbal altercation in the mall with the perp).
—-
After a shooting, the common thing taught is to "re-holster your weapon" (get it out of sight?). For this very reason - cops tend to shoot first and ask questions second. [Especially if someone has been shot and is laying on the ground bleeding and the cops see somebody else with a pistol in his hand and running away from the shooting scene...a pretty normal reaction in my judgment]. As it turns out, the wrong decision in this case.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
need more facts and would like to see the cops vest camera video and mall videos before deciding who did what wrong. I agree though ,that his gun should have been holstered. In fact I feel that UNLESS you are a cop(on or off duty) or you and your family are at risk.... you run if you can instead of confronting thugs or terrorists JMHO

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Speaking as an instructor, there is "draw" and there is "holster".

There is no "re-holster".

Carry on.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I've read a few articles about this. Lots of misinformation from the get go. I don't think the cops or the investigators know what going on or what happened at the scene.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
There is no "re-holster".......This is INCORRECT advice, and very dangerous as the original poster gives an example of.
As Bender points out, I have never heard this advice in any REAL training. Actually the opposite. Even Off duty Police Officers are taught to Visually and verbally identify themselves and NOT display a weapon unless the situation calls for it. Don't endanger your life or the lives of your loved ones by making decisions based on "Internet Advice".......It can get you killed.

TR

Latest posts