9mm: What Brand Ammo and Grain do you use for 3gun?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Operator_1 said:
Been shooting Freedom Munitions 147 gr 9mm. Recently tried some Stand 1 Armory 147 gr "chubbies" which are loaded with to minor power factor. The cubbies seem to shoot smoother to me personally, and at basically the same price as Freedom I've made the switch.
Any Chance you chronoed the chubbies?

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Jesse Tischauser said:
Any Chance you chronoed the chubbies?
Morgan Montgomery was using these for three gun. He said the won't make minor for uspsa in his predator 2011. Can't remember for sure what they made but it was around 120.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
R.Pullicar.jr said:
Morgan Montgomery was using these for three gun. He said the won't make minor for uspsa in his predator 2011. Can't remember for sure what they made but it was around 120.
Did he try pulling the trigger harder?

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
It's fun to see these old threads pop up, and to read back through what we posted. Nearly 3yrs later I'm still using the same load for pistol and it works great in my PCC. I think the longer OAL helps to make feeding more reliable. I've had some FTF stoppages in my PCC with factory Federal 115gr FMJ, but my pistol load with OAL set at 1.15" feeds every time.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Operator_1 said:
Been shooting Freedom Munitions 147 gr 9mm. Recently tried some Stand 1 Armory 147 gr "chubbies" which are loaded with to minor power factor. The cubbies seem to shoot smoother to me personally, and at basically the same price as Freedom I've made the switch.
The chubbies are great!! I have been using them for the last 2k + rounds. Zero malfunction and they shoot really nice

TayJ6

Active Fanatic
Been shooting the chubbies exclusively for a couple years. Super soft, chrono'd to a 130pf from my edge. For the price, it's not worth my time to reload.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
I loaded up some 147gr Berry's plated RN over 3.3gr Titegroup with CCI 500 primer, bullet seated to 1.165" OAL with a factory crimp and made 860fps, makes USPSA minor at 126pf and functions in my G34 and PCC. Super soft and easily takes down falling steel. On paper it looks similar to the S1 Chubbies, and costs me about $0.14/rd to load vs Chubbies at $0.25 -/+. The savings is real. No, I don't count my time because this is a hobby where I sit in my basement drinking beer after the kids go to sleep.

ETA: a guy could knock off another $.02-.03/rd by using a coated bullet rather than plated

ETA2: I should have stated that the load was chronoed out of a factory G34 barrel.

TayJ6

Active Fanatic
I was loading that same bullet, but didn't really like titegroup. I was around .15-.16 per round. When I switched to VV, I loved the load a lot more, but then my cost went to .18 per round. For me, .22-.23 per round for chubbies (no shipping, local to me), is worth it. I spend maybe and extra $300/yr and I don't sort, clean, or even pick up brass. That time turns into dry fire time after the kids are asleep. My press is collecting dust, and I'm okay with that.

Willfully armed

Fanatic
I run 3.3 gr titegroup under a 147 Xtreme, 1.15 oal, cci primers. Gives about 870 fps and drops poppers with ease.

I started with 3.2 tg in my g34 to get those numbers, had to bump 1/10th gr for my DW PM9 to get the velocity.

Latest posts