9mm: What Brand Ammo and Grain do you use for 3gun?

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
Stand 1 Armory 147gr -P (Chubbies) and the best part is they are located in Dallas. Check it out at stand1armory.com

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Flatland Shooter said:
That's pretty light. Do you have any problems taking down poppers?
That's what I thought also.
Do you have trouble making minor PF? Seems like most recipe's that I've seen with 124's and titegroup are around 4.0gr +/-

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Shane P said:
That's what I thought also.
Do you have trouble making minor PF? Seems like most recipe's that I've seen with 124's and titegroup are around 4.0gr +/-
That's one of the nice things about 3 gun. No power factor requirements. Just the embarrassment factor of leaving copious amounts of the steel standing.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
Flatland Shooter said:
That's one of the nice things about 3 gun. No power factor requirements. Just the embarrassment factor of leaving copious amounts of the steel standing.
This. I don't shoot USPSA unfortunately because I live 3 or 4 hours from the nearest range that hosts a regular match. For outlaw 3-gun, it knocks over steel just fine. At Zombies in the Heartland last weekend, we had to shoot a popper at 50yds for a -5 bonus, and I was able to knock it down. If there is a stubborn popper, as we all have encountered from time to time, I'll have the same trouble everyone has getting it to fall, but I can rip off faster doubles or triples due to the light load. I'm running it in a factory STI Eagle and have had no malfunctions with it, shoots flat and with little recoil.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Good to know. I'm pretty sure if the setup a chrono at a random local match there would be some people not making PF anyway.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Shane P said:
Good to know. I'm pretty sure if the setup a chrono at a random local match there would be some people not making PF anyway.
That would be fun as hell!

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
RigPig (Matthew Hoff) said:
This. I don't shoot USPSA unfortunately because I live 3 or 4 hours from the nearest range that hosts a regular match. For outlaw 3-gun, it knocks over steel just fine. At Zombies in the Heartland last weekend, we had to shoot a popper at 50yds for a -5 bonus, and I was able to knock it down. If there is a stubborn popper, as we all have encountered from time to time, I'll have the same trouble everyone has getting it to fall, but I can rip off faster doubles or triples due to the light load. I'm running it in a factory STI Eagle and have had no malfunctions with it, shoots flat and with little recoil.
i had no problems knocking over the bonus at 50 with 3.3 tight group and 124 xtream. some of the heads on the plate racks gave me problems but they were positioned more forward. just had to give them a double tap or hit them high. I dont see the need to waste powder if i dont have to meet pf. powder is hard to find around here so i have to save where i can.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
hunter_dmw12 said:
i had no problems knocking over the bonus at 50 with 3.3 tight group and 124 xtream. some of the heads on the plate racks gave me problems but they were positioned more forward. just had to give them a double tap or hit them high. I dont see the need to waste powder if i dont have to meet pf. powder is hard to find around here so i have to save where i can.
Nice! I can get almost 2k rounds out of a pound of TG. I bought 3 kegs last summer when it was getting hard to find, I'm glad I have it now that it's rarely seen. I paid $18/lb a year ago. I've seen it on GB lately for $60/lb+

Operator_1

Active Fanatic
Been shooting Freedom Munitions 147 gr 9mm. Recently tried some Stand 1 Armory 147 gr "chubbies" which are loaded with to minor power factor. The cubbies seem to shoot smoother to me personally, and at basically the same price as Freedom I've made the switch.

Latest posts