870's deli slicer of a loading port.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Novas and Supernovas aren't that much more expensive than 870's or Mossber 590's. I've seen some used Novas for $300 or less. You don't see too many used Supernovas for sale, mainly because once people buy them, they keep them :D

I bought my Supernova tactical with 18" barrel new for $450 + a $75 rebate. Granted the 18" barrel is probably not desireable for 3 Gun, but it's a whole lotta gun for the money. MidwayUSA actually sells aftermarket barrels for the Nova and Supernova (M1 and M2's also I believe) for like $200.

Deacon

Well-Known Fanatic
McGuire's right, I don't like the "Buy a different one" answer most times. 870's are relatively inexpensive so If it were me, I'd tune the 870 up myself and then give the gun the Krylon touch. I believe you'd REALLY have to mess it up to ruin the functionality, so just do some homework, maybe see what Wilson Combat does to their 870's and give it a shot.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
McGuire's right, I don't like the "Buy a different one" answer most times. 870's are relatively inexpensive so If it were me, I'd tune the 870 up myself and then give the gun the Krylon touch. I believe you'd REALLY have to mess it up to ruin the functionality, so just do some homework, maybe see what Wilson Combat does to their 870's and give it a shot.

Good post yet if it can not be done and one wants the easiest Pump to load, then its Nova/Super Nova time. In that case it is not just a different SG it is" the SG". Of course I am biased lol

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Good post yet if it can not be done and one wants the easiest Pump to load, then its Nova/Super Nova time. In that case it is not just a different SG it is" the SG". Of course I am biased lol

Lol hmm maybe ill dig out my files and have at it.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
It's not near as bad as you may think! just take it slow and make sure you remember where all the goodies go that you take out, a camera is nice as you can snap a mess of pics so in case you can't recall where that damn itty bitty cotter pin goes you can look. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are more sure then fast will that help the thumb? Man I would had to knock the edges off at first bite. I have seen some really cut up thumbs and only got bit once, but that was enough for me (M2).
I always use the straight in and straight out method when dealing with those that bite, not as fast but much less painful.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are more sure then fast will that help the thumb? Man I would had to knock the edges off at first bite. I have seen some really cut up thumbs and only got bit once, but that was enough for me (M2).
I always use the straight in and straight out method when dealing with those that bite, not as fast but much less painful.

Maybe. But every thing near this loading port bites. I just wanna clean up the edges a little. This gun will also be used by my wife and she can cut herself on a ball bearing I swear or a spoon.(seen the last one happen.) I think I will smooth it out today. Storms and home sick. I have a lil free time

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well let us know how it goes and post some pics of the the finished product. Hope your get to feeling better soonest as well.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
So The Files were going slow.... so I broke out the dremel... and did what i do every time I get out the dremel.... I got Dremel Happy.... I know I shouldn't have touched the shell latch bars but they are half the problem and now when the barrel is removed I can remove the bolt and carrier/pump if I pull the pump from the fully open to closed in a smooth movement. but if its slow they still lock up and secure the pump. But I smoothed out all the biting edges and the outside edges. I also softened up the ejection port since it bites as well. then went and dug out my perma blue from the shed. During this process I did scuff up my receiver some, But its character scratches not debilitating.

I did some quick test reloads with it, and my thumb is sore(Mainly becuase I hit it with the dremel) but the gun didnt bite

Finished product: not pretty but toothless like a 90 year old lot lizard
2012-04-03111010.jpg

2012-04-03165432.jpg

2012-04-03164824.jpg

2012-04-03165318.jpg

2012-04-03165352.jpg

2012-04-03111052.jpg

2012-04-03111100.jpg

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Either my 870 is special or I am. I've actually tried to draw blood and I've yet to be successful. I'm running an 870 ExpSM so maybe that's the difference.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Either my 870 is special or I am. I've actually tried to draw blood and I've yet to be successful. I'm running an 870 ExpSM so maybe that's the difference.

Mine is an 870 express. And the thing would just tear you to peices. Now its nice and smooth. I just need to get out and test fire it. Also it really wasn't a problem untill I was trying to load at some speed. I could slow load it just fine.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Congrats on a job well done and you saved money. The pride aspect will mean a lot to you as well. Glad you were able to get er done.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the 870 express as well, I havent found mine to be "terrrible" but it aint comfy, and it has drawn blood once. But I think the tune up and Krylon is a good idea, thats what I did...

Latest posts