870's deli slicer of a loading port.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
My 870's loading port has some rather sharp edges. Taking it apart I sliced my finger. I have even got cuts on my knucles while loading. I would take a dremel to it but I'm afraid to butcher it plus I don't have a way to refinish what I butcher. I really don't have the cash for a gunsmith to tackle it either. Am I stuck? Any suggestions and maybe pricing of a fix?

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
People love 870's for some reason. I'd put it up for sale and use the funds to buy a Nova. The Benelli will load stock easier than any 870.

I dont have the funds to put any extra funds in to get a new gun. I could afford the 870 thats all there was to it. I guess i could sell it as a combo with a Hi point(which I dont own) for $800 and tell people its 2/3rd your guns for 3 gun. im sure someone would buy it on one of these gun websites

The Surgeon

Active Fanatic
I dont have the funds to put any extra funds in to get a new gun. I could afford the 870 thats all there was to it. I guess i could sell it as a combo with a Hi point(which I dont own) for $800 and tell people its 2/3rd your guns for 3 gun. im sure someone would buy it on one of these gun websites

I would bet the problem could be fixed with a small fine/medium file or smoothing it out with a stone. You could probably do this yourself. Post some pics and I will try to help you out.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I would bet the problem could be fixed with a small fine/medium file or smoothing it out with a stone. You could probably do this yourself. Post some pics and I will try to help you out.

I'm sure I could smooth it out I'm more worried about the finish.

2012-03-20154245.jpg

2012-03-20154208.jpg

2012-03-20154308.jpg

2012-03-20154328.jpg

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I'll post pics of mine when I get back home. I didn't refinish it, but you could drop some cold blue on it.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Brother, I feel your pain, I have been shooting heavy metal with my 870 and I can tell you I went home with blood on me. I have gotten the same response from almost everyone about fixing it up, the "buy a different gun" solution doesnt really sit well with me, sort of feels like, I dont like it or dont want to learn how to fix it so piss up a rope. I know it CAN be fixed, will some finish suffer, yea, but Id rather have a little finish rubbed off then come home missing a thumbnail. I guess Im just a stubborn SOB but I really do like my 870, I like the way it looks and feels. Its not the easiest to shoot compared to some of the others, but Im not here to give myself the easiest ride available. I WANT to work for it. So I guess Im just weird, Im on the verge of doing some work to mine and Im less worried about the finish, so if you want, Ill take the plunge and let you know how it works out for me.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Files, Dremel, Beer oh and a hammer anything can be fixed or um made better! don't ask me how I know these facts but I can say they are facts cause I've seen with my own eyes and have actually done a few and the process is sound. I don't know where you could come up with some cold blue in town? Later,

Kirk

The Surgeon

Active Fanatic
Is it the bottom of the receiver that is causing the problems or is it inside the receiver that has the sharper edges?

From what I can see it is the parts that run on the inner sides of the receiver. Need to disassemble the entire gun. Take a small fine file to the sharp edges of those parts and just slightly round off the edges. All you are wanting to do is get rid of the sharp edge. If it is these parts, the finish is not going to matter, because you are going to eventually wear them anyway. If it is the edges on the bottom of the receiver, do the same here and just lightly round the edge. Get some Alumi-Hyde and touch up what you have filed down. You should have very little touching up to do.

Start with a small fine file. Do not use any pressure to round the edges, let the file do the work. Work the file at an angle and away from you. Never work the file across the metal towards you.

Do not use a dremel, you run the risk of taking to much off around the corners. Do it by hand, its not going to take that long anyway.

Other than that, the 870 has alway been notorious for biting.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Look at it this way. Your 870 is not a Perazzi, Beretta O/U or a fine Belgian made Browning A5. It's made to beat the crap out of. Smooth it up some and run it. It won't hurt the resale either when you sell it to another beginning 3 gunner to buy that Nova.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I was thinking of doing the file work anyway. And touching it up with a polishing wheel on a dremel so I don't have to look at or feel file marks. I have a couple of fine files stashed away ill have to dig them out I had some blue but it got knocked over. I may make time for this this weekend. Or tomorrow depending. Ill let you guys know and post some pics when I'm done.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
You can roll the edges over with a file and polish to smooth, this will prevent the gun from eating your hand when you load, but loading an 870 will never be easy.

Let me explain where the buy another gun comment came from though. I've been through school etc. when money wasn't easy to come by, I understand not having money in the gun fund. I made two firearm purchases during that time for the sole reason of saving money when compared to something else, one of these was an 870 express I bought for practical shotgunning. I eventually got so frustrated with loading it and the constant FTE issues I sold it off. The Nova I later purchased for something like $75 more than I bought the 870 for and it is a superior pump in every way. I guess what I'm saying is I have always ended up with the better option eventually and been angry with myself for not just saving for a few more months before buying, I'm just trying to steer you towards a firearm that is better suited to both games and defense before you spend a pile of money/time on it.

If you'd like to see pictures of the marvel that is the Nova loading port I'd be glad to take some, if you're ever in OKC I'd be glad to let you see/shoot it. If you make your way to a 3 gun match I'll happily let you run it for the match.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Sure show me some pictures. I will be in okc sat. But. I will be shooting a Loanered m1 or m2 I forget. I'm going to shoot the loanered version of 3gun :)

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Bah. I took it out shooting. And it ate my left thumb. Sheared of some dead skin. Still hurt and now I have a groove in my thumb. I have to fix this or ... I may end up ... selling it or trading it off and I don't like that idea much.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok Question for the gun smiths out there. Can I round the bottom corner of the channel containing the shell lock? with out it affecting performance of said part? I do believe that is whats taking my Thumbs off.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Nova x 2. Sorry for the sideways pic. Looks right on my phone. When the lifter is pushed up it stays up and there is nothing but empty hole.
pre_1332987522__2012-01-22_154409.jpg

Latest posts