.40 S & W for Glock

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you all for your input, I am about to start reloading and now just trying to make sure I get the right powder. Thanks again!!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Old thread but I figure it is better to add this here than start a new one.

Playing with a new to me G23 I got about a year ago. I am chrony shy, so I didn't load my usual powder puff minor load I use for dicking around.

Weather was 82 and sunny.Chrony was 10' from muzzle.

Warning this is below listed in the Winchester manual I have. Use at your own risk. I am not recommending this to anyone.

WST 3.8grs.
Fed 100 (SP)
Rainer 180FP
OAL 1.140
Crimp .420
Mixed brass
10 shots
Avg-816.1
SD 11.78
PF 146

WST 3.8grs.
Fed 100 (SP)
Percision Moly 185 gr FP
OAL 1.140
Crimp .did not adjust from above and did not check to see if there was a difference. Bullet stayed in place with the push test so I was happy.
Mixed brass
10 shots
Avg-840.4
SD9.21
PF 155

Brass has very little resistance to resizing.

Note a Case gauge is highly recommended. I usually got 1-3 that wouldn't fit the case gauge but very seldom would the rounds not fit the chamber. A big place where I see sloppy rounds especially 40 is in the de-priming and re-sizing station. You must insure you bottom the stroke out. In other words don't short stroke your press. This also gives a wider variance with COAL as well and can affect the crimp. If you don't short stroke usually the bulge comes out enough for a Glock bbl and the case gauge. Last 200 rounds before purchasing a GRX was all good to go. Tight ass match chambers might be a different story. The Redding GRX is the bomb. I got one when I couldn't find my case gauge after moving - now no issues. It is an extra step but I don't shoot anymore, so it just gives me more time playing with my toys.

How did the rounds shoot - very well. Of course the 185s were a little bit happier and they shot to PoA. The 180s shot a tad low by about an inch or so. All rounds landed in a tight group nearly on top of each other, most of which were over lapping though it was two distinct groups from about 12 yds.

Two thoughts. Either go back to a shorter COAL or up the charge a tenth with the Rainers Use up the 200+ Percision Molys and see how they fare in the bbl.If they do well order more or try Bayou bullets. In the past I have had great luck with lead in the 45acp and 9x19, Not so for the 40. Just started playing with this pistol so it might fare better.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, after shooting this load for about five months, I have decided it workes great for up close and at a distance and is as follows: Glock 22 .40S&W
180 grain Trj. Berry's bullet
Winchester 231 at 4.9 grain
C.O.L. 1.135"
PF=173
CCI Primers
Very accurate

Latest posts