.40 S & W for Glock

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I was looking to start loading .40 S&W, I have loaded 30-06 and .243 but am new to pistol and looking for a good low recoil but good power rating formula, anybody out there loading for a Glock 22 have a good formula?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I would also ask about the bulge removing die. Seems like that's a big deal for .40S&W, but I don't know why.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Generally, no. If the brass came from a Glock there is often a pronounced bulge near the rim. This is because the chamber in the 40 Glocks is unsupported. That bulge has to be removed so the reloaded round will chamber.

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a few minor power factor load that work great in my G22.

Are you loading for competition or plinking?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd have to look at what I've come up with, I'm pretty sure I wrote it down someplace just have to recall where I wrote it :) I'll check when I get home but it's for the Green bullets and some jacketed stuff all 180gr with Power Pistol and WST powder. Later,

Kirk

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a few minor power factor load that work great in my G22.

Are you loading for competition or plinking?
Competition.

I'd have to look at what I've come up with, I'm pretty sure I wrote it down someplace just have to recall where I wrote it :) I'll check when I get home but it's for the Green bullets and some jacketed stuff all 180gr with Power Pistol and WST powder. Later,

Kirk
Appreciate it Kirk!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry it's late but here's the info from an earlier post hope this helps you out it's for the green bullets I'll have to do some more digging for the jacketed data as I'm moving my reloading stuff and truth I couldn't find it.

Well I went out Friday after work and got some results for the Bayou Bullets and WST, here's the goodies that went into the testing;

Brass range mixed mostly Winchester
Primers Federal Small Pistol
Powder WST
Bullet Bayou Bullets 180gr coated
COL 1.135"

First off just cause this is what happened with my pistols doesn't mean the same will be with yours so WORK UP THE LOAD! you blow something up it's your fault so be safe you are building controlled explosions after all.

G23 with factory barrel
4.0gr = 832fps = 149.9PF
4.2gr = 842fps = 151.6PF
4.4gr = 859fps = 154.6PF
4.6gr = 868fps = 156.4PF
4.8gr = 895fps = 161.2PF
5.0gr = 916fps = 165.0PF

G24 factory barrel
4.0gr = 878fps = 158.1PF
4.2gr = 886fps = 159.6PF
4.4gr = 883fps = 159.0PF
4.6gr = 915fps = 164.8PF
4.8gr = 951fps = 171.3PF
5.0gr = 956fps = 172.2PF

I got some odd results between 4.2 and 4.4 grains of powder with the G24 so probably test those again and funny how 4.8 to 5.0 grains of powder really accomplished not much in velocity not even 1 fps difference. So it looks like to meet PF I'll have to go with 4.7 grains of powder with the G24 and 5.0 grains with the G23 so to make life simple I'll just load 5.0gr in them both.

Found out that my CED chrony has a PF option that I just figured out Friday afternoon so no math on my part YEA! Thought I would post up my results just in case anyone else need some information on the Bayou Bullets for a 40 S&W load. Thanks for the help fella's I appreciate it. Later,

Kirk

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231187/redding-g-rx-carbide-base-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w

There is the redding die. just get a cheap single stage press and leave it set up. I have put about 3k through this, and less than 5 have failed a chamber check guage. It does add a extra step, but after seeing the buldge on some range brass, I think it is well worth the extra step.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I'm luck as I just set my Lee die to where it is about a few thou off the shellplate and the only problem I have had so far was dumb ass here put a primer in backward, I chamber check them all but it's also a Glock so might be the sloppy chamber and not luck that it works.

I've dug around and I know the info in my head but I don't want to say what my jacketed load is cause I have a mess of numbers floating around right now so I'd rather be safe than blow you up.

I've got a handful of Donnie's bullets I'd give you to try if you would like? all honesty my Glock barrel would be cleaner with the green bullets over the jacketed, they are cheaper, and they shoot oh so great. I just settled on 5gr WST since it's an easy number to remember and I know I'll always meet PF, they are not too snappy either. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
With the old west coast 180 plated I would use a bit less for a s_o_f_t minor load.

Hows the brass and accuracy of your major load (5.0)? What is the ES and SD as well?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Brass I couldn't tell you as I don't pick it up, I get once fired from a couple of folks on the cheap. Didn't even pay attention to SD or ES but it groups rather well, functions great and from the G24 it's an easy shooter. Now if I was worried about hitting things way out there or bullseye I might pay attention to SD and ES but this is a run and gun load not much about precision LOL Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Brass I couldn't tell you as I don't pick it up, I get once fired from a couple of folks on the cheap. Didn't even pay attention to SD or ES but it groups rather well, functions great and from the G24 it's an easy shooter. Now if I was worried about hitting things way out there or bullseye I might pay attention to SD and ES but this is a run and gun load not much about precision LOL Later,

Kirk

I think both ES and SD can have an impact on accuracy but not definitive. What it does do for you though is give you an idea if any 3-6 rounds will make PF i.e a chrony stage. I like my SD small so I dont have to push my loads. I also chrony 20 shots to get a better look at what is going on in case I get 3-5 good or poor loads. I look at my high and low and the closer they are the easier it should be for me to make PF without having to push a load. At least it makes sense to me how I look at it.

Brass, well if it has a serious bulge to it or the primer is looking cratered or the case is even cracked I wouldn't want to use the load.

oh thanks for sharing your information!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I don't care what my es and sd are, heh. Never had a problem making PF and as long as it hits where I point it, that's good enough for me. My load for my M&P 40 Pro is

Mixed range brass
180gr Bayou
4.5 gr N320
Winchester SP
1.135 OAL
.420 Crimp

All of it goes through a Lee U-Die and makes 170 pf out of my factory 5" barrel.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh I'm fully aware of SD and ES having effects on accuracy and with my LR rifle loads there is a mess of information I keep but I'm working on keeping better than MOA out to 1K and some cases just a touch furthur depending on what rifle, along with several other things that make case prep a real pain :)

The 40SW cases have a buldge since they are being shot in a factory Glock barrel and the primers are fine no flattened out or anything harsh as I don't deal with hot loads nor would I recommend them to anyone else. I make PF with this load at 4.7gr but I load to 5.0gr so that if there are any temp variations or lot to lot powder flucuations I'm still making PF. I'm fully aware about what different things do for accuaracy but with what I'm using these loads for I don't feel it's all that important as these loads are loaded on a Dillon not each charge metered. Off a rest at 20 yards you can keep 90% in a snuff can so any ooopsies are my fault. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't care what my es and sd are, heh. Never had a problem making PF and as long as it hits where I point it, that's good enough for me. My load for my M&P 40 Pro is

Mixed range brass
180gr Bayou
4.5 gr N320
Winchester SP
1.135 OAL
.420 Crimp

All of it goes through a Lee U-Die and makes 170 pf out of my factory 5" barrel.

Yep understand your reasoning. I would hate for a chrony stage to chrony 2 low loads if there is a large ES and SD. Just saying it makes sense to me. Now if your fudge factor is greater than the ES then all you have to worry about is weather, elevation and different chrony. Myself I prefer to control what I can and only worry about those I can not. Call me worry wart though i have failed the chrony shooting a buds ammo that had a bad ES and SD. Thus, I no longer use ammo that has a large ES or SD. So again call me worry wart, but it makes sense to me.

Thanks for sharing your load data.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh I'm fully aware of SD and ES having effects on accuracy and with my LR rifle loads there is a mess of information I keep but I'm working on keeping better than MOA out to 1K and some cases just a touch furthur depending on what rifle, along with several other things that make case prep a real pain :)

The 40SW cases have a buldge since they are being shot in a factory Glock barrel and the primers are fine no flattened out or anything harsh as I don't deal with hot loads nor would I recommend them to anyone else. I make PF with this load at 4.7gr but I load to 5.0gr so that if there are any temp variations or lot to lot powder flucuations I'm still making PF. I'm fully aware about what different things do for accuaracy but with what I'm using these loads for I don't feel it's all that important as these loads are loaded on a Dillon not each charge metered. Off a rest at 20 yards you can keep 90% in a snuff can so any ooopsies are my fault. Later,

Kirk

Thanks,

Latest posts