.308 vs. 30-06 what's your personal opinion

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
308 IS more accurate than the 06! I read several articles with reams of test data using several different platforms comparing the 2 cartridges and all pointed to the 308. The difference was on the order of about .25 of an inch at 100 and carried an advantage out to about 800 yds. Remington custom shop at one time posted their avg test target for 40x rifles in both calibers and it also correlated with the armory data. 06 pushes bigger bullet faster SO just pick your favorite RIFLE in either cartridge and smile.

millsou19

Fanatic
I prefer the .30-06 for hunting and shoot Nosler Accubond 165 gr bullets. The recoil is rough but bearable. Havent had too much experience with the .308

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Adding my opinion, as a hunter.
The 06 will produce more velocity, and greater recoil. There are some new powders out there that will help with the recoil, and produce 100fps better velocity on my chrono. The same would go for the .308, and I've started using the Reliant 17 instead of IMR 4350. Its also less temp and altitude sensitive.

Recoil is all about physics.

Agree and combined with this

Just my opinions.

Sometimes we loose sight of the bottom line in shooting, especially hunting. The bullet is the only tangible connection we have with game. It is all about bullet choice and placement. A 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet fired from a 308 or 30-06 into the vitals of deer-sized game will produce the same desired effect, a dead animal.

You can shoot most of the same bullets out of a .308 Win as 30-06. In hunting there is very little difference. The cartidge and rifle are just delivery systems for the bullet.

Something to consider; you can handload your 30-06 rounds to approximate .308 ballistics (less velocity and recoil), but you cannot go the other way. If you need a 180-200 gr bullet for hunting, opt for the 30-06. There are factory 30-06 rounds available that are "reduced loads", which approximate 308 ballistics and have less recoil.

I hunt with both. If I know I will be likely shooting over 250 yards while hunting, I will generally carry my 30-06. But then again my 308 and 30-06 are two different rifles; Both are Ruger M77; The 308 is the International, with 18" barrel. I prefer this in timber and shorter range situations.

My 30-06 is an old tang safety M77 with 22" barrel and has taken game out to ca. 450 yards. This is my no. 1 hunting rifle not becaue of the calibre, but because I know it better than any of my rifles and have the most confidence in it and my ability to shoot it.

If you have to choose for tactical shooting sports, I have no experience in these and offer no opinions.

Again, just my opinions.

Tally ho.

K

The only thing you have to look at is twist rate. if you are using those 150ish bullets and below a 308 typically has the rifling to better stabilize. If 165 and over the -06 typically does.

Great responses that I quoted.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
As I've stated before, M1 Garand and a SC03A3. You want to shoot light or heavy in the M1 Garand get a shuster plug and adjust for load. The 03A3, all your going to have to do is adjust your rear sight.

DSCN2205.jpg

Nice pair - Now I know I am getting old.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
The 30.06 has won more 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry than any other caliber.

Of course, that was back in the day after WWII.
I did read that the AR platform won the 1K match a couple of years ago. I don't remember the caliber though.

Buy what you like. Both great rounds. :D
http://www.snipercou...curacyfacts.asp

Heres a short little read, not definitive, but just some food for thought. Back in the day the 30-06 was the king of long range matches, but when the 308 came out, the match scene was rocked when the groups of the 308 shooters were HALF the size of a 30-06 shooters at long range. The 30-06 is a powerful and viable round for hunting, it packs a punch. But as far as inherent accuracy, I feel the 308 is more capable of long range precision, which after all is the point, more hits on target, and its a great deal more pleasant to shoot imo.

besides...I just love the M1A...

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If one looks at the inherent accuracy it seems (to me) everything spun off of the 308 case is a winner in accuracy except for the 358Win which does alright in accuracy. I just haven't heard it praised for it's accuracy.

Back to the case of 308 vs the -06 I think it depends on the rifle/ ammo/ shooter. Again both will perform similar given the same twist rate.

Latest posts