.308 vs. 30-06 what's your personal opinion

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
.308. More shooting per lb of powder. More factory loads than you can shake a stick at.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I have both and I hate the additional recoil of the .30-06. I wouldn't want to deal with the recoil of it for an entire match. The main positive of .30-06 is the extra knock down power when hunting. The availability of fmj ball ammo in .308 is nice.

dennishoddy

Adding my opinion, as a hunter.
The 06 will produce more velocity, and greater recoil. There are some new powders out there that will help with the recoil, and produce 100fps better velocity on my chrono. The same would go for the .308, and I've started using the Reliant 17 instead of IMR 4350. Its also less temp and altitude sensitive.

Recoil is all about physics.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed. I've only shot factory loads out of my .30-06 since it was only used for hunting. Recoil is not bad, but round count required for matches would not be pleasant. My .308 is my match gun and now also used for hunting. I have loads for my .308 for F/TR prone matches that also work for deer/elk hunting. 30-06 can be loaded down, but I have no need to use it enough to warrant another set of reloading dies.

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
.308 hands down - cheaper (good) ammo if you don't reload - and if you do, like its been said in this thread - More factory loads than you can shake a stick at.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Just my opinions.

Sometimes we loose sight of the bottom line in shooting, especially hunting. The bullet is the only tangible connection we have with game. It is all about bullet choice and placement. A 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet fired from a 308 or 30-06 into the vitals of deer-sized game will produce the same desired effect, a dead animal.

You can shoot most of the same bullets out of a .308 Win as 30-06. In hunting there is very little difference. The cartidge and rifle are just delivery systems for the bullet.

Something to consider; you can handload your 30-06 rounds to approximate .308 ballistics (less velocity and recoil), but you cannot go the other way. If you need a 180-200 gr bullet for hunting, opt for the 30-06. There are factory 30-06 rounds available that are "reduced loads", which approximate 308 ballistics and have less recoil.

I hunt with both. If I know I will be likely shooting over 250 yards while hunting, I will generally carry my 30-06. But then again my 308 and 30-06 are two different rifles; Both are Ruger M77; The 308 is the International, with 18" barrel. I prefer this in timber and shorter range situations.

My 30-06 is an old tang safety M77 with 22" barrel and has taken game out to ca. 450 yards. This is my no. 1 hunting rifle not becaue of the calibre, but because I know it better than any of my rifles and have the most confidence in it and my ability to shoot it.

If you have to choose for tactical shooting sports, I have no experience in these and offer no opinions.

Again, just my opinions.

Tally ho.

K

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
1903A3 or M1 Garand in 30-06!

Nuff said!

Ok, my 2 cents. If you reload, then I would say the 30-06 hands down. A good new 30-06 bolt rifle with handloads can kill anything in North America. If you are going to depend on factory loads, go with the .308. What kind of rifle, and what you want to do with it comes into play as well though.

Interesting side note, did you know the Army's M-24 was originaly going to be chambered for 30-06? They were going to use existing match ammo to prove it's capabilities, after getting the rifle adopted the plan was to develop a load that would use a heavier bullet and be somewhere in between the performance of the .308, and that of a 300 win mag. The found out they did not have enough of the match 30-06 ammo for testing so the went ahead with a .308 planning to switch calibers later, but it never happened. That is why the M-24 has a long action. Now they are going to be converted to 300 win, and the .308 will be relegated for use mainly in semi-auto sniper rifles.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
As I've stated before, M1 Garand and a SC03A3. You want to shoot light or heavy in the M1 Garand get a shuster plug and adjust for load. The 03A3, all your going to have to do is adjust your rear sight.

DSCN2205.jpg

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Funny how everyone say 06 cause it has more power and if you take a look your dealing with the same velocities UNTIL you hit the 180gr bullet weights then the extra powder capacity of the 06 comes into it own.

What do you like long action or short action? pretty much the decision you need to make cause either will get the job done, I always hear the short action is more accurate but I don't know many people that can really tell the difference. I like the 308 but either would be fine. In the end what can you shoot the best. Later,

Kirk

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Funny how everyone say 06 cause it has more power and if you take a look your dealing with the same velocities UNTIL you hit the 180gr bullet weights then the extra powder capacity of the 06 comes into it own.

What do you like long action or short action? pretty much the decision you need to make cause either will get the job done, I always hear the short action is more accurate but I don't know many people that can really tell the difference. I like the 308 but either would be fine. In the end what can you shoot the best. Later,

Kirk
agree, just look at the reloading data at hodgdon website just pick a powder and compare the 2 calibers

dennishoddy

The 30.06 has won more 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry than any other caliber.

Of course, that was back in the day after WWII.
I did read that the AR platform won the 1K match a couple of years ago. I don't remember the caliber though.

Buy what you like. Both great rounds. :D

Latest posts