SMK 175gr. HPBT
Lapua Brass
42.5gr Hogden Varget
CCI Benchrest Primers
2.85 OAL

keeps MOA at 200+ yds for me.

0hm

Fanatic
let me also state that EVERY RIFLE is different. yes, i shouted that. because it's important. doesn't matter make/model. some rifles just like like certain ammo being fed to it. me for instance? NORMA brass = bad day at the range. i have absolutely no clue why. may have something to do with the internal capacity of the casings.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
175 gr Berger VLD
Winchester brass
43.9 gr RE-15
CCI BR4 (whichever is large match)

The only thing that I don't like about this load is that it is temp sensitive in the summer months. I planned to experiment with Varget and Lapua brass this summer, but I didn't get it done. Other than July and August matches, I have been very happy with this load.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I use 44.2 grains of Varget with a 168 grain nossler bthp federal match primers with either hornady match or federal brass. 2.820 oal

out of a 26 inch barrel it's just a shade faster than factory gold medal.

once i get through what i have loaded im going to play with the charge and the oal to get sub .500 groups. (now im getting anywhere from .55 to .80 5 shot groups.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I use 44.2 grains of Varget with a 168 grain nossler bthp federal match primers with either hornady match or federal brass. 2.820 oal

out of a 26 inch barrel it's just a shade faster than factory gold medal.

once i get through what i have loaded im going to play with the charge and the oal to get sub .500 groups. (now im getting anywhere from .55 to .80 5 shot groups.

I've never shot groups well for some reason. I think I have problems keeping focus on the same target spot. I know it sounds weird, but I've become used to using "Kentucky Windage" after I get a couple good shots at 600 yds. I think seeing the shot marker causes me to start compensating with the scope instead of adjusting windage after each shot. I usually average 1.5 MOA at 600 yds unless there is a goofy cross wind.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
i havent' had a lot of training but I spent a week with the Oklahoma County sheriff's office in their long range rifle school earlier this year. I didn't have the greatest of glass at the time but always seemed to hit the 1 moa mark. I do way better prone than off a bench because it's easier to get in that natural point of aim. (breathing and natural point of aim is a huge factor in consistency)

as far as weapon modifications I have a stock remington action and barrel with a bell and carlson stock. I had the rifle bedded and the trigger sweetened up a touch. Tossed on a Nightforce scope with the lowest rings possible (started with a bushnell fixed 10 power)

now I need to tailor the load to the gun... but I have 200 or so of my last lot left to shoot...

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
SMK 175gr. HPBT
Lapua Brass
43.0gr Hogden Varget
Federal 210M Primers
2.80 OAL
average is 2568 fps

This was the first load i ever used for my rifle it will shoot 3/4 moa to 1/2 moa. I had tied for the 2nd highest score and took 5th overall at Rick Reeves shoot last April. There was four 4" clays at 500 & 400 yds and four 2.5" targets at 250 & 100 you got 20 bullets for the 16 targets. I started with the 500 yd targets dialing 10.5 minutes for elevation and 4.5 minutes for windage (ca 52 inches high and 22 inches for wind) it took 6 bullets to get the first 4 targets at that point i thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest I have to give my spotter Adam that works at Gene Sears in El Reno most of the credit he give me adjustments and I got all but one of the hundred yard clays (they were worth the least amount of Pts). I took fifth overall may not shoot like that again but at least I did it once in front of a large group of shooters. That is one of my happiest days. My rifle is 308 Rem 700 sps with 20in barrel in a manners t2 stock with badger bottom metal, jewell 1.25 # trigger with leupold 6.5-20 X 50mm. I bought it this year and started reloading this year with the rock chucker shot about 800 rds through it. Well then I met Jesse T at Arcadia and discovered three gun. I am broke now

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a load that so far is just awesome! deviation is like 3FPS for 5 shots so just goes to prove a blind hog can find an acorn LOL

175SMK
Winchester brass
44.5gr. RL-15
2.810" COL
Fed GM210M primer
2650FPS

Your milage may vary so always drop off and work up to my load or you might blow something up! Later,

Kirk

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Any SMK in the 168-175 range w/ 43 grains of AA 2520...they don't call it the Camp Perry Powder for nothing. Lit w/ CCI BR2 (thats the large one Brandt9913) Winchester brass. Works well in most and M1As really tend to like it.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Any SMK in the 168-175 range w/ 43 grains of AA 2520...they don't call it the Camp Perry Powder for nothing. Lit w/ CCI BR2 (thats the large one Brandt9913) Winchester brass. Works well in most and M1As really tend to like it.

Kurt,

Is AA 2520 temp sensitive? RE-15 is horrible about it. If you leave one in a hot chamber for more than 5-7 secs, velocity starts going crazy. That's why I'm starting to experiment with Varget.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Not that I have noticed and I have shot them very hot...temp wize. this powder is also a speed king in relation to the 77 and 80 grain .223 bullets. I have had good luck in the Prairie Dog town with 25.5 grs and a 77 at real long distance and never noticed any pressure related to temp.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Not that I have noticed and I have shot them very hot...temp wize. this powder is also a speed king in relation to the 77 and 80 grain .223 bullets. I have had good luck in the Prairie Dog town with 25.5 grs and a 77 at real long distance and never noticed any pressure related to temp.

Thank you for adding another bullet/powder combination I need to experiment with. The quest for accuracy continues!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
RE-15 temp sensative? never noticed that one before well maybe 15-20fps may I ask what caliber you had this problem with? Later,

Kirk

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
RE-15 temp sensative? never noticed that one before well maybe 15-20fps may I ask what caliber you had this problem with? Later,

Kirk

In summer months, I've had to adjust 2-3 MOA between morning and afternoon 20 shot strings. This was with .308 at 600 yds. One of the Dallas guys I shoot with was having the same issues with RE-15. The Varget guys were not having to make these adjustments throughout the day.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll keep an eye out on that! I've been shooting RL-15 for many years and have never had much of a problem from several calibers and probably 32# of the stuff but I'll say that most was burned in a P-Dog town or on steel so I would not have noticed the couple MOA with the 308 as a hit on a torso is a hit :) RL-15 is one of my most favorite powders since it fits several of my calibers I shoot. I am going to keep an eye on this though. Thanks

Kirk

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
24" BBl. Savage 10 FLP, Choate-John Plaster Stock, Sharp shooter systems SAV II trigger, 20 MOA Picatinny rail, Burris Fullfield II Tac 4.5x14x42 Scope, threaded muzzle with break (YHM Can on order).

SPEC. length Reminton Brass
168 GR. HPBT Sierras loaded .015 off the cuts
44.1 gr IMR 4895. (I know, I know its old school powder, but it aint broke, so why fix it??)
I throw them about a half grain shy and trickle them exact.
CCI Primers

sub-half minute groups consistantly.

Works for me.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I have had a lot of luck with

175 smk
43.0 varget
Cci Br2
Remington brass
If I'm doing my part I can shoot well under .25" groups
Also works very well with 43.0 4664 and I forget what load I was using with XBR but it has almost no velocity change over something like 70 or 80 degrees

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
200gr SMK HPBT
38gr IMR
2.96 OAL

I shoot an SPS AAC, when I first got the rifle and did some reading I was under the impression that the stock would have to go. I hated the xmark pro trigger that was on mine and ended up using a timney at 3#. My best friend has the same rifle completely stock with a different optic and one day he calls me up after a day at the range and says that he tried a new load. While I knew the rifle would shoot sub moa in capable hands with good loads I wasnt really sure how SUB it would go. Well he sent me a picture of the hole he shot with the load above. He shot a 3 round group which he calculated at .06 inches center to center.
you be the judge
261949_2066375855396_1124764996_32473733_6831738_n.jpg

Latest posts