3-Gun Nation introduces 2015 rules for Regional Series

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
This has really been making the rounds on social media so I figured we should get a discussion going here.

A lot of the discussion centers around the new divisions. Section 7.0

New rules attached.

View attachment 8732

Attachments

• 3-Gun-Nation-REGIONAL-SERIES-RULES-2015-FINAL-FORMAT-v4.pdf
    446.3 KB · Views: 260

ShaneP

Looks good to me
In the "Factory" division, you can have irons or an optic, are they scored the same? We currently have/used to have TO and TI, so are those one and the same now?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm waiting to see if everybody that has load port work done on their shotgun is going to end up in open, wait sorry, unlimited.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
jcameron996 said:
I'm waiting to see if everybody that has load port work done on their shotgun is going to end up in open, wait sorry, unlimited.
Where does it say that?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
7.2.3.1. Factory configuration. Says factory configuration on all three firearms. They need to clarify what that means. How many people leave their stuff stock?

jtischauser

jcameron996 said:
7.2.3.1. Factory configuration. Says factory configuration on all three firearms. They need to clarify what that means. How many people leave their stuff stock?
It says that in every time set now. 3-gun USPSA etc. It basically means no weird one off guns. There is no way to police carrier modifications, load port changes and no reason to do so.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jason Grant said:
3.8, 3.11 and 3.12 seem odd..has it always been that way?
don't make us go look for it to answer your question.
Quote the rule not just the number

No dq for shooting steel closer than 30yds with a slug
No dq for leaving a firearm off safety, but in the proper spot
No dq for leaving a firearm off safety, but in the wrong spot and you don't go down range in front of it

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
yes, those were dq's before.

The one I have a problem with is:
3.9 Additional +10 seconds: The competitor MUST remain inside the rope or wooden fault lines, unless the WSB states differently. Leaving the rope or wooden fault line area and re-entering at a different location to create a short cut is strictly forbidden.

jtischauser

I can't read them all on a phone. The rule book is getting big which is Good thing. No more bush league trash.

Looks like the heavy divisions flip flopped a bunch of rules. Heavy Optics Now has capacity limits but heavy irons does not. Used to be just the opposite. Yet another different set of Heavy rules is disappointing.

I'm confused why TI changed to Production division. I would have thought TI was good to go as it is pretty popular.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I actually like what happened to TI magazine/capacity wise. I like having a bit more of an equipment jump as you move through the divisions.

I'm also sure I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Lots of rules. I just want to shoot, I'll just show up with what I have and let them sort it out. But I've always been a bit confused. For example iron sights to me are iron sights, and a different skill set than using a dot.

Didn't know there was a need for suppressed pistol caliber divisions, though.

jtischauser

My guess is something new coming from the suppressed divisions. Silencerco sponsored me last year and they really want to find a way to make suppressors viable in 3-gun. Especially since they have the new Salvo 12.

MarkCh

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm wondering about the interpretation of a statement in "Factory" shotgun, rule 7.3.4.9. It says shotgun SHALL NOT hold more than eight shells in the magazine total. I don't know if that means it "CAN NOT' hold more than eight shells in the magazine and you would have to put a shorter tube on a gun if your current tube allows more than that. Or if it just means you can't have more than 8 shells in the tube at any given time -- ie. you can's stuff a bunch more in right at the start. It seems a little unclear to me. Any ideas?

jtischauser

I just reread the Factory Division and it severely misses the mark. Limiting magazine capacity doesn't make it a Production type division. It makes it an Un-American division. If they want a newb division you gotta remove compensators, low mass bcg's adjustable gas blocks and all the go fast race parts that veteran 3-gunners are going to use to gain an advantage. Basically you need to limit the division to M4 style rifles.

Same goes for shotgun. 5 round max and no lightened bolts, load port mods etc. Basically an off the shelf 1100, M3000, 870, M2 etc.

jtischauser

The heavy divisions are bass akwards. Heavy Optics has been moving towards Heavy rifle in Tac Optics. Basically TO with a .308 with the use of semi auto shotguns with no mag cap limits and 9mm pistols with no mag cap limits and even the .308 without mag cap limits. Now it is back to a .45 max ten rounds, semi auto shotgun, and .308 with limit mag capacity.

Then you have Heavy Sport formerly Heavy Irons which was the purist division with ten rounds of .45, pump 12 gauge, and 20 rounds of .308. Now it has no mags limits and you can use a semi auto shotgun.

I was hoping having a centralized organization such as 3GN would start to solidify the divisions and the rules. But the changes to Tac Irons and Heavy are so far out in left field that there is no way the outlaw matches are going to come on board. We now have three more divisions to learn. The new shooters have like 15 different possible division rules sets depending on the matches that they shoot.

I would love to know what they are thinking. Unfortunately they didn't create a rule committee and get input from the shooters. USPSA definitely has a much better way of rolling out new rules.

Latest posts