22 Pistol Recommendations

White Kid

The American Reaper
Here is my baby

imagevjwkg.jpg%20
That's nice!

dennishoddy

Kind of looks like a blob on front, but it works really well. I used to loose my dot after every shot, up and to the right.
Now I never loose the dot in the scope, and my scores reflect it.
View attachment 2891

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342745779.802708.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342745779.802708.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 33

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I had a Buckmark. It was great. My brother has it now, and it's still great.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had several .22 handguns and here are my thoughts:
Ruger 22/45-Great gun!
Buckmark-Great gun!
SW 41-Amazing!
Walther p22-Alright, but they have been known to completely fall apart.
Mosquito-It truly jammed on every other shot.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
To everyone with the Mosquito problems, what spring and what ammo were you using? I'm not the world defender of the Mosquito but ours has been flawless. Literally more reliable than the Buckmark. It's ran 100%. The Buckmark has ran 99.9%.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
To everyone with the Mosquito problems, what spring and what ammo were you using? I'm not the world defender of the Mosquito but ours has been flawless. Literally more reliable than the Buckmark. It's ran 100%. The Buckmark has ran 99.9%.

I've used CCI Mini Mags with mine, still at least 1 to 2 FTE or FTL every mag. I have 3 mags, all do the same. Federal bulk is worse. I've tried both springs that came with it, the one that works best is the less stiff one. I sent mine back to Sig because it wouldn't even run 1 mag without problems. Came back with one less mag than I sent in (cause they wanted to see if one of them was a problem) and work order said they worked on the chamber. Still won't run without problems.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic

Trust me on this, you got VERY lucky. I wish mine would have been reliable since I really liked how the gun fit my hand. I tried every combination possible and also polished the ramps, but it still sucked.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got rid of a couple Ruger Mark III's ------great pistols and very accurate, just moving on to something else but still reccomend them!! I have a 1911 GSG .22 (so does my friend) and they ROCK!! HUbby has a Sig Sauer 1911 .22...........very nice as well!! Never had any malfunctions out of either of them (with the exception that the Rugers were picky about ammo). Good luck!!

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
It is a custom job I had a local gunsmith/ fabricator make. I originally asked for him to drill & tap the left rear of the slide, add a bolt that stuck out an inch & a half, then remove the exposed threads and head. He had a different idea and came up with this. It made of Aliminum and resembles an AR charging handle. Its super light and doesnt slow the slide down at all. It was a PITA for him to make since the rear of the slide is not a true radius.

If I make it to the OFGC on Sunday, I can pack it if you'd like to check it out.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had a couple 22/45 pistols BUT I bought a Buckmark and let's just say I'm a rather large fan of the Buckmark! nothing wrong with the Rugers just didn't fit my hand that well, the Buckmark is just an awesome little pistol and it has a threaded barrel so no I have to buy a can hehe. Later,

Kirk

The Antichrome

It is a custom job I had a local gunsmith/ fabricator make. I originally asked for him to drill & tap the left rear of the slide, add a bolt that stuck out an inch & a half, then remove the exposed threads and head. He had a different idea and came up with this. It made of Aliminum and resembles an AR charging handle. Its super light and doesnt slow the slide down at all. It was a PITA for him to make since the rear of the slide is not a true radius.

If I make it to the OFGC on Sunday, I can pack it if you'd like to check it out.

Thanks Ryan, I wondered if it was custom or if the scope mount guys came up with something new.

RK{ARMS}

Active Fanatic
Not to beat a dead horse but the mosquito no go. I had the same issues above. IMHO Ruger can not be beat in the 22 market. My mark 2 has been flawless since day one I dont remember when that was.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Me too, I have the model with the heavier barrel. Camper?
It has eaten every kind of ammo I have put in it, and it is as accurate as I am able to make it be.

Me too. I think mine is the Hunter model. Long bull barrel with fibre optic sights. The Buckmarks don't break the bank, run on damn near anything you put in them and have decent triggers too.

Raford

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several .22's in the safe. I personally shoot a Marvel conversion on top of my kimber .45 frame. All the controls and trigger pull are the same so it's great for pratice and very accurate. I put a Fastfire red dot sight on it for steel challenge matches and it's great. Still fits my regular holster for the gun and my single stack mag holders will hold the .22 mags as well.

I bought a Ruger SS Mk III Hunter with the long barrel, fiber optic front sight, thinking that I would like the long sight radius for steel challenge matches. Before I ever got to shoot the gun, my wife came home and said "That's an ugly gun!". I said, it might not be the most attractive gun I own but I'll bet it shoot good. We went to the range that Saturday, she wanted to shoot the pistol first so I let her. With the long sight radius, fiber optic front sight, and added weight of that long SS barrell. After she emptied the magazing, turned to me and said. "You got the last new gun, I think this one is mine. It's still ugly, but I'll just keep it". And that's the guy she now shoots steel challenge with.

I get to shoot it occassionally, but only with her permission. LOL!

IMHO The major issue with the Ruger is the take down for cleaning, but there are aftermarket items to help with it. Otherwise their a great gun. The Buckmark's is also an excellent gun for accuracy and speed (if that's what you're looking for). Magazines are available and they'll feed most any type of ammo you want to give it.

We also have a Walther P22 and a Ruger Single Six (Single Action Revolver), they're a lot of fun to shoot but I don't find them accurate enough for the distances of Steel Challenge or Ruger Challenge matches. Extra mags for the Walther are not easy to find and while I've not had any problem with mine, I have seen two other break the slide just behind the front sight.

Just my 2 cents and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
View attachment 3524I like my aa conversion if you have a glock already. If not you can buy a glock lower and the kit and have just a dedicated 22lr glock.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353186394.157484.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353186394.157484.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 28

Carl Owens

New Fanatic
Ruger MIII, 22/45 with slab side barrel is a great 22 shooter. I just got a sig sauer 1911 22lr in olive drab. it's alot of fun and I get alot of looks at the range. The gun works great, the down side is, it has plastic sights, and the slide safety is kinda wide and will dig into your thumb. I also have a Ruger SR22, a fun little gun, but not my first choice. You really can't go wrong with a Ruger MIII or a Browning Buckmark.

Latest posts