22 Pistol Recommendations

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I have decided I need something else to play with and I don't have a 22 pistol, so I thought why not. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations. I know sig makes a couple (one 1911 though I think its a GSG) there is an M&P 22 along with many others (walther, ruger...). Anybody have any opinions?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I've been thinking about getting an M&P22 with threaded barrel

Guy Griffith

New Fanatic
Hi Wildcat,
I've shot a Sig Trailside / Competition Model for about 10 years now mainly for fun stuff like bowling pin matches, Ruger Challenges, etc. They have a great Hammerli Trigger and like most .22's, keep em clean and they will run. I'll try and attach a video of the 2011 Nebraska Ruger Rimfire Challenge where I took 3rd overall with this Sig pistol and my converted Colt M-4 which has a CMMG .22 cal barrel. There were shooters out there with 1,000's of dollars in custom pistols, rifles and scopes that day.
If accuracy is important this would be a great choice. As you can see in the video we had 10 rounds to make 10 shots on many of the stages.
Hope this helps.
Guy

View attachment 2885

Attachments

• MOV03300.MPG
    18 MB · Views: 70

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
What are you wanting from the pistol? Plinking, cheap training for a similar larger caliber pistol, matches, etc?

I have a Ruger Mark II 22/45. I bought it for plinking, trigger control practice and to get my gf more comfortable with shooting. I picked it up NIB for $225. If I were looking for a .22LR pistol that had controls more similar to most modern semi-auto pistols of larger caliber I'd probably look at a M&P22. Shoot a few different ones if you can.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I've got a Sig Mosquito, it's a jam-o-matic. Stay away from it. I've also got the GSG 1911 .22 and it's great.

If I had a M&P centerfire I would probably get the M&P 22 then too for cheap practice with a similar feeling gun.

If Wall posts a picture of his Buckmark setup - You will want one like that (I know I do) :D

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I have heard that about the Mosquitos. I have a hard time defining the exact purpose that I would use this for, which is ok, just means more guns! I really want something that I can get a lot of trigger time on and not break the bank. My wife has also finally been convinced to "try" shooting guns. I don't want to start her with something that she think has to much recoil or she will quit after the first shot and not try again. I am kinda leaning towards a M&P style 22 and a target style 22.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I have heard that about the Mosquitos. I have a hard time defining the exact purpose that I would use this for, which is ok, just means more guns! I really want something that I can get a lot of trigger time on and not break the bank. My wife has also finally been convinced to "try" shooting guns. I don't want to start her with something that she think has to much recoil or she will quit after the first shot and not try again. I am kinda leaning towards a M&P style 22 and a target style 22.

Get her a Walther PPK .380. I bought one of those for my wife and she loves it. They have almost no kick and are accurate as all get out.

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
S&W Model 41 is a very nice target pistol (I love mine)... Although Ruger Mark III/IIIs and Buckmarks are a bit cheaper and have a great reputation as well.

My first .22 pistol was a S&W K-22 Masterpiece revolver receivedon my 12th birthday. Great, great gun. Still have it and shoot regularly over 30 years later. I have a current model as well which is a Model 617 and holds 10 shots. It's a great gun as well.

dennishoddy

Ruger mark III hunter is what I use for steel challenge, and general plinking. it now sports a Volquartsen Muzzle brake. I need to take a new pic.

P8200004.jpg

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
My wife has a Sig mosquito. We've put several hundred rounds through and I hate to jinx us, but we've never had one malf of any kind. I've only used CCI minimags.

White Kid

The American Reaper
I think I have decided I need something else to play with and I don't have a 22 pistol, so I thought why not. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations. I know sig makes a couple (one 1911 though I think its a GSG) there is an M&P 22 along with many others (walther, ruger...). Anybody have any opinions?
Ruger SR22 or the Browning Buck Mark, that's the way to go.

Latest posts