22-250 load

kdlong

Well-Known Fanatic
i am wanting to reload some 22-250 with 40grain nosler b-tips. what would be a good powder and charge for them?

Varget.
just build up a load using hogdons recipe and you'll find a sweet spot somewhere close to max charge.

dugby

Active Fanatic
I prefer H4895 out of my 22-250. Don't use many 40's though. Mostly stick with 50 gr for simplicity. Start low and work up.

kdlong

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks i shot some 40 grain out of a buddies and they do some nasty damage to a yote. his brother inlaw loaded them but he passed away before i could find out what powder and charge he uses.

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
This load work for me and in my gun, but you should start low and work up, looking for pressure signs.

I have found that 39.0gns of IMR-4350 in Federal brass with a Federal 210match primer does very well pushing the 55gn ballistic tips. I have not yet chronographed the load, as I am still tweaking the seating depth, but even so, it shoots quite well in the "unfinished loading" at 2.365"AOL. It's not your 40 grainers, but the 55 is quite nasty and will carry more energy out at distance. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

kdlong

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks for the info. i'm waiting to get a chrono to see what they are shooting at.i found some data on tac that i'm thinking about trying next.when i figure it out i'll post it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You might have to try some different bullet weights to see what your rifle likes. The 40s don't always shoot well.

A friend of mine has a sweet Ruger M77 varmit model with a ridiculously high power scope. He got some premium 40 or 45 grain (Cant Remember Sxxx) and they were all over the target. But with some 50 or 55 grain loads worked up like Mike said, I personally fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards putting two rounds into the same exact hole with the other almost touching. That group measured right at .300". The lighter bullets were about 9" groups. So try some different bullets if you don't get results right off.

kdlong

Well-Known Fanatic
mine is an encore.i think the twist is 1 in 12. it shhots the 45 grain great. i can get 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yrds pretty consistently. i'm difently going to try some heaver bullets for larger game and target shooting. thanks for the info.my biggest problem is i don't want to buy alot of different powders.

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
mine is an encore.i think the twist is 1 in 12. it shhots the 45 grain great. i can get 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yrds pretty consistently. i'm difently going to try some heaver bullets for larger game and target shooting. thanks for the info.my biggest problem is i don't want to buy alot of different powders.
You might have some trouble with the heavier bullets in the 1/12 twist, if you go very far past 55gn. I am working on some 63gn Sierra PSP's and will post results when I get a chance to punch paper.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
My favorite load for my 22-250AI is 40 grains of varget, CCI BR2 primers and a 75gr AMAX .007 off the lands. 26" bbl 1/8 twist 3250fps. THIS IS MAX LOAD IN MY RIFLE! Another .5 grain I see pressure signs.

kdlong

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks now that the weather has finally broke i can go try some i just loaded. will post results.

dennishoddy

thanks now that the weather has finally broke i can go try some i just loaded. will post results.
I'm interested in your results. I have several hundred rounds of .22-250 ready to reload.
the WWB 45 HP is so accurate, that it will be hard to beat reloading.
Three shot groups are the size of a dime, and 200 yds are the size of a quarter.

Got the dies, got the bullets and powder. Just need to get off my arse and start loading.

Ndenway

New Fanatic
mine likes 50gr bullets(even shoots the rem bulk packs great).

it's shot well with every powder I ever used in it; right now I'm using aa2460 and 50gr vmax's; when I do my part it's capable of 1/2" 5 shot groups, but normally I'm not shooting up to snuff and it still stays sub moa

dennishoddy

I haven't started loading my .22-250 yet. The WWB 45 grain hp shoots so well in it, and they were cheap, so I bought 1K rounds about 5 years ago.
They are about gone, and prices have gone through the roof, so it is time to start reloading.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I'm old skool as my most favorite load of all times was the 52gr SMK over 38.0gr of H380 and a GM210M primer but 37.5gr with 55gr Sierra Gameking bullets have flatted a mess of cute furry critters, probably my most favorite bullet for the 22-250 or 223 for an all around bullet.

I loaded some 40gr NBT's for pasture maggots and well they got there FAST but I found out that if you can't hit anything who cares if you miss at 3600fps LOL, I don't have my 250 anymore as I went to the 17 Rem for yotes but it's a hell of an awesome accurate round.

Like always start low on powder charges and work your way up! ALWAYS! Later,

Kirk

Latest posts