21" vs 24" shotgun barrel length for 3 gun?

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
6 of one and a half dozen of the other. 21" is slightly lighter 24" has slightly longer sight radius. In theory the 21 would give slightly higher velocities which is good for knocking down steel at any range. I've not chronoed any loads for shotgun so I can't speak definitively on that. I think I like the idea of the 24" barrel better. I have a 22" on my Mossberg. Wish I had a 24". 24" will be more likely to be flush with the end of the tube extension if you have a +5 extension. Yet another bonus.

Either will work with negligible differences. find the one you like and rock it.

21" is very popular on them ther' Benelli's.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
In theory the 21 would give slightly higher velocities which is good for knocking down steel at any range.

This should say the 24" should yield slightly higher velocities not 21".

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I asked the same question and wound up buying the 24". When I bought mine Gene Sears out in El Reno had both sizes in stock.

Shooting clays and bird hunting I preferred the longer barrel. The weight difference is minimal if even noticeable between the different length M2s that I've held. I think it's 1.5 ounces difference or something like that. You're welcome to shoot mine if you'd like.

giarc01

Fanatic
I don't think it matters. You have guys with 21 inch barrels and a +9 mag tube that is 10 inches longer than the barrel. I would say 26 is good for clays and slugs.

I have a stock 26" in my remi 1100...

I've seen a couple of shorter barrells available, but I'm never ready to buy when I see them. Stupid question...but I'll ask anyway

Can I cut it down with a hacksaw or bandsaw etc, then dremel the ID of the barrell smooth...?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure why you would want to cut it down. Mine has the twenty six inch barrel and a plus eight tube sticks out past the barrel by several inches.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jason Grant said:
I have a stock 26" in my remi 1100...

I've seen a couple of shorter barrells available, but I'm never ready to buy when I see them. Stupid question...but I'll ask anyway

Can I cut it down with a hacksaw or bandsaw etc, then dremel the ID of the barrell smooth...?
what are you going to do about chokes?

If you're going to take it to get it threaded for chokes anyway, you might as well have them do the cutting too.

Latest posts