2015-2016 deer hunting contest discussion thread.

dennishoddy

WillR said:
Oklahoma slow elk.
HAHA! Not much of a rack. :D
Not much luck here either. Lots of does and nocturnal bucks. Interesting evening tonight. Two coveys of quail came into the feeder, and the deer ran them off. Must have been too much threat. :D

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
Hoddy, is that rice bran on the ground?

We've been using it and have had some good luck. Our (Texas) General Season opens next weekend on the 7th and I've got some brutes on the camera. The wet summer has created some great mass both in body and antler this season. For being Texas deer they are pretty impressive!

dennishoddy

It is. First time I've tried it. It's only been out two days. Some of the does just walk around it, but won't eat it.
I'm sitting here as we speak waiting for him, but its raining and not much is moving.
Our deer are like yours. We had a mild wet summer, and they got plenty to eat. Buddy killed one yesterday the weighed in at 237 lbs, field dressed weight.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
I placed mine in front of my game cam and it took about a week for it to get eaten, lots of traffic. It's our first year using it as well, a buddy from Louisiana swore by it and came across a pallet for cheap cheap so we figured we would give it a try.

Good luck! I'll be out this weekend, my workdays until then are suffering...

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I saw this on the tpike this morning........****ing huge
c4b1c6210359c906e1c51a2d5c27c8e1.jpg

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Got one but the Game Wardens frown on using it during archery season.
Don't have much of a sense of humor about it either. [emoji12]
Fun haters

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Nice one Spencer. Hope you get a shot at him.

Finally got a load I like worked up tonight for the S&W .45LC. Hope to take a deer with it this year.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll be in the stand all week starting tomorrow afternoon until next Sunday morning! Best of all I will have my boys with me and I think they enjoy it more than I do.

I've got 3 kids and 3 doe tags left plus one more buck tag reserved for a trophy.

dennishoddy

Hope your get a good one. Thats great your kids want to go.

Tomorrow is the opening day of gun season in Ok. The area farmers/ranchers have been seeing lots of activity from 11am to 1pm. Time for an all day sit in the stand.

dennishoddy

Covered up in dinks and does all afternoon. Not much activity in the morning with the hurricane force winds. Saw my shooter buck but would have needed a forward observer and laser guided munitions to get him. Good to know he is still in the area.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Hunted a new area opening day. With the high winds and very rugged terrain we decided against walking in in the dark. Got there about 8 and mainly still hunted / stalked. First time to ever kill a deer that way. She put her head up above the grass at about 40 yards, I put the red dot on her nose and put her head down for her. Bullet tore through her spine just below her head. She never even stirred. Funny part was there were about 9 other does bedding there with her. They jumped up, looked at her, looked at me and just stood there for about 5 seconds before running off. Second pic will give you an idea of the terrain I was hunting. The does were bedded down below one of those rock faces staying out of the wind.

View attachment 10748View attachment 10749

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448210376204.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448210376204.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448210391182.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448210391182.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32

dennishoddy

Nice one Kevin![emoji106]

I shot a doe this morning. She trotted by from behind me, so by the time I got the muffs on and the gun up she was a tad over 100 yds. Dropped her in her tracks with .243WSSM.
About 20 seconds later, here comes a little buck. He runs right by me, goes to her and starts trying to get her up to breed her.
10 minutes later, another buck comes in and they both try to get her up.
a bit later, another shows up, then another.
I've got 4 bucks trying to get her dead body up. They rolled her around the food plot like a soccer ball for almost an hour before wandering off.
The last pic is as far as my phone would zoom. You can see the three bucks, and the fourth coming in. Amazing.