2013-2014 BoomerShooter Deer Hunting Contest

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are hunting in central or eastern OK find the acorns and hunt them. I got my Doe after moving off a food plot into the woods. Acorns are everywhere this year giving deer plenty to eat.

boomer mooner

Well-Known Fanatic
I won't get to hunt until after Thanksgiving, but I'm taking the whole first week of December off so hopefully I can turn in an entry. Haven't we already had a couple hard freezes this year? I thought that ruined the acorns. No?

dennishoddy

It just caused the acorns to drop quicker. I have several oaks in my yard. The ground is covered with the acorns. I got home right at dark and several does/fawns were feeding on them.

I'll start a new thread with the Oklahoma rut report that just came out today from the ODW. It explains why I'm not seeing squat for deer in my area, but in the next few days the rut will peak, and its on like donky kong!

I've got 13 days of the 16 day gun season off.

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
Bucks are showing up no one has seen before , it's rut and will get better. Gonna get cold and that's good.

dennishoddy

In the NW Oklahoma county's, we judge the peak of the rut by the number of deer that have been struck and killed by vehicles. Ok, Ok, I know its the redneck way, but....
Typical year during the peak of the rut, there will a half dozen or so between my house and the hunting area. Right now there are two.

dennishoddy

This was shot 5 minutes from my house.
You folks get out and beat this one!

qerevu6y.jpg
u5ujuhas.jpg
ehuba8ug.jpg

dennishoddy

14 point. Passed on him last year with the bow. He is only 3 1/2 years old. I might pass on him again. Next year he would almost double his mass. I dunno.
Make the call when the time comes.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll get the "official" entry in later but here is what I got this morning. Not huge but he'll be good eatin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385235773701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385235773701.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Washburn said:
Got a buck and a doe 10 seconds apart Wednesday night at 515.
they look pretty hefty, what'd they weigh?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I was able to get 110lbs of meat off of both of them. Not really sure how much each weighed individually. I just field dressed them, hung them in the barn and started slicing.

I have to say, it really sucked as the barn was not heated and it was 14 degrees. I did find out that I can wear 5 pairs of nitrile gloves at the same time.

Latest posts