1911owner - new member, new to 1911s

1911owner

Fanatic
I've been carrying for twenty years or so, but never owned a 1911 until end of 2019, when I went all in with Norinco 1911A1, a Colt Combat Elite, and a Desert Eagle 1911G, all in .45, of course. I look forward to learning them and may even migrate out of my Beretta PX4 Storm full size for EDC. The provisional plan is to carry one of my two Norincos and save the CCE and DE for outings and competitions. The Norincos, said to be made from recycled railroad track, are surprisingly nice and said to be part-for-part outstanding replicas of the 1924 et seq production of the 1911s issued to GIs. As rational as I've tried to be on the entire subject of which firearms to acquire, I cannot help it. I do have that strain in me that says, as I survey my John Browning progeny, "Now that's how a gun is supposed to look".

34 and 30 are Norinco 1911 A1. 37 is the Desert Eagle 1911G. 12/29: Added picture of the Colt Combat Elite.

Attachments

• DSCN3434.JPG
    DSCN3434.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCN3430.JPG
    DSCN3430.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN3437.JPG
    DSCN3437.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • ColtCombatElite1911_RtSideFull_20191220_152030.jpg
    ColtCombatElite1911_RtSideFull_20191220_152030.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

1911owner

Fanatic
I might have to adopt this for my signature, too:

I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs.
But trust a dog when it doesn't like a person.

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the Forum from snowy Canada!
Lot's of Norinco love up here. Norinco's are probably the most frequently seen 1911 in my parts. I can't substantiate the made of railroad rails, but these pistols are definately made like tanks. Mine has many many thousands of rounds through it, it's been reblued twice and I also use the frame as a platform for most of my .22 Conversion Units. Lot's of Wilson Combat and Dlask goodies installed and the trigger breaks like glass. Enjoy yours.

IMG_2331.JPGIMG_2330.JPG

1911owner

Fanatic
Wow! Those views look very good. And you know that everything you're saying is very welcome information. I read enough before buying them to expect that they ought to be pretty decent. I was quite surprised when they arrived to find them as nice as they are. I will come back with picture and range results after that trip and a good cleaning. What a great little find. I anticipate migrating to it for my EDC.

Last edited:

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
We can't carry up here, but my pistol has seen way more than its share of use through at least 2 previous owners before me. Its still quite capable of knocking the black out of the bullseye target at 25 yards.

1911owner

Fanatic
I posted two of the upon-unpacking photos. The one with darker handles needs some TLC as to cleaning, but both appear to be in fine condition. I just learned that the Combat Elite and Desert Eagle 1911G landed so I can pick them up tomorrow. Over the weekend I will clean and inspect all and make some nicer photos.

Thanks for the friendly greetings, all.

1911owner

Fanatic
If that works out, I guess I'll come here and do a few differential equations and maybe quote some Goethe. I can't wait.

But, do you have any quarters left after the DW?

1911owner

Fanatic
I brought the Desert Eagle 1911G home today. I'll put picture up before long. It has a recessed rod at the bushing end, so that when you depress it to release the bushing, the rim is what you're pressing on, which increases the lbs/sq in hugely. Little bit painful pushing in far enough to release the bushing. I haven't seen what the purpose of that is.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If that works out, I guess I'll come here and do a few differential equations and maybe quote some Goethe. I can't wait.

But, do you have any quarters left after the DW?

Sold a WC to fund the DW, so I got a couple quarters left... Of course, then Steve Owens corrupted me... o_O

1911owner

Fanatic
How about I set a few quarters aside for you? DW+SO = low probability of spare quarters remaining.

So, the Desert Eagle photo has been added to the opening post. It's a handsome article, I would say. Some folks grouse about the outsized lettering "DESERT EAGLE 1911" on the side not shown. I'll put the other sides up eventually. I'm just pleased that they made an actual 1911, not a giantized version of it. Theirs is larger by a small fraction of an inch, but seems purely functional, not "just because".

I'm still puzzled by that recessed rod on the bushing end. You wind up pushing on a circle around the outer rim of the rod, rather than on a nice rounded rod tip, as with most other makers. The rounded button tip seems much better idea.

Last edited:

DE1911

Fanatic
It's a full length guide rod, I have a D'eagle (DE1911full size) also. Brownells and other places sell a plastic bushing wrench which makes it very easy and keeps the spring contained in your hand. You'll need it anyway if you buy others with a full length guide rod. You'll soon find that the D'eagle will be your favorite. I liked it so well that I have a 4" and 3" also. As to the quality of the D'eagle, you rarely see a used one for sale, that should tell you something.

1911owner

Fanatic
Nothing very complete or organized yet, but a few observations. I had one brief session today shooting 3 of the 4 - 2 x Norinco and the D'eagle. the Combat Elite, it turns out, did not have "minor wear and tear from storage". ugh. Someone has replaced that National Match barrel with something else that they then tried to grind to fit. It's a mess.

One Norinco trigger needs some serious work. It either takes 10 pounds to pull or a few ounces. Gunsmith can sort that out.

Finally, to the D'eagle. It is intact and the trigger is light compared to what I am used to, but not light enough that it caused an accidental discharge. Certainly out of the current batch it is the uncontested favorite, The second Norinco was actually in fine shape and seemed fine to me. The D'eagle had the nicer trigger, and I think I'll stick with how it is and see if I can just get used to it properly. I tried some Sellier & Bellot hollow points and the D'eagle and the nicer norinco both hated them. I've only done a light cleaning, just to insure that the barrels and rails were not gunked up. I'll chat with the gunsmith about that tomorrow. I seem to have allowed myself to overreach, and wound up with at least a couple of items that need serious work. All three handled the ball ammo by Winchester just fine.

One more short sesssion tomorrow, then I drop everything at the gunsmith for the various trim-ups and proper deep cleaning while we do a short vacation trip, and then I'll be back, hopefully to report in more detail and with four squared-away 1911s.

I am so annoyed about the barrel of the CE. The rest is just trimming up what was allowed to fall out of spec, I think.

Thanks very much for the comments about the D'eagle. It its own right, apart from my slightly unfortunate batch, it is clearly a winner and very likely to be my favorite.

Sundance98

Fanatic
I've been carrying for twenty years or so, but never owned a 1911 until end of 2019, when I went all in with Norinco 1911A1, a Colt Combat Elite, and a Desert Eagle 1911G, all in .45, of course. I look forward to learning them and may even migrate out of my Beretta PX4 Storm full size for EDC. The provisional plan is to carry one of my two Norincos and save the CCE and DE for outings and competitions. The Norincos, said to be made from recycled railroad track, are surprisingly nice and said to be part-for-part outstanding replicas of the 1924 et seq production of the 1911s issued to GIs. As rational as I've tried to be on the entire subject of which firearms to acquire, I cannot help it. I do have that strain in me that says, as I survey my John Browning progeny, "Now that's how a gun is supposed to look".

34 and 30 are Norinco 1911 A1. 37 is the Desert Eagle 1911G.
*Good Grief, a Norinco? Really? Hmmm. Have to contemplate my navel on that one. You couldn't start off with either a Colt, SIG Nitron or Kimber? Well, everyone to their own choice. The best of course is a Wilson gun....but those are mega-expensive and mega-good!

Sundance98

Fanatic
I brought the Desert Eagle 1911G home today. I'll put picture up before long. It has a recessed rod at the bushing end, so that when you depress it to release the bushing, the rim is what you're pressing on, which increases the lbs/sq in hugely. Little bit painful pushing in far enough to release the bushing. I haven't seen what the purpose of that is.
*Those Desert Beagles are so heavy and clunky.......not our breed of cat....sorry.

Latest posts