1911owner - new member, new to 1911s

1911owner

Fanatic
*Good Grief, a Norinco? Really? Hmmm. Have to contemplate my navel on that one. You couldn't start off with either a Colt, SIG Nitron or Kimber? Well, everyone to their own choice. The best of course is a Wilson gun....but those are mega-expensive and mega-good!

Actually, I've started with 2 Norincos, 1 Desert Eagle 1911G and a Colt Combat Elite, which it appears that my gunsmith has put fully back to rights and the seller seems amenable to making an appropriate cost adjustment. That seems to be turning out fairly well. I'll know tomorrow.

One Norinco, with what seems to be the original trigger, seems fine and I enjoyed it. The other seems to have some after-market thing on it and it is just crazy. that goes to gunsmith tomorrow to heal it.

1911owner

Fanatic
*Those Desert Beagles are so heavy and clunky.......not our breed of cat....sorry.

I'll have to measure to see actual weights, but I must say that I don't mind a heavy .45. They still kick pretty good, as heavy as they all are. I'll try to get actual weights tomorrow for comparison.

DE1911

Fanatic
He's talking about the Desert Eagle 1911, not the "heavy and clunky" one. READ THE POST! It is very much our "breed of cat" and a very fine one at that! I told you it would be your favorite.

1911owner

Fanatic
Back from the cruise and a bit of SCUBA diving in Cozumel. Aaaaahhhhhh. All the 1911 cousins went to gunsmith for final trim and deep clean and polish here and there (a couple feed paths) after initial range report. Each magazine tried in all four pistols, 1 load of ball, 1 load of JHP. There was nothing really big to attend to, thank goodness. I pick them up Monday and will be back in a few days with results from next range session.

1911owner

Fanatic
I am gravitating towards the DEagle, as it turns out, although the truth is that I haven't found anything to make me dislike any of them. I do have one Norinco with a stovepipe problem, So far it has only happened on the last round in two different magazines, out of the 8 magazines that I have run through it. I have Wilson Combat mags, 2 x 8-round and 2 x 10-round. Assuming that I can tweak the Norinco to get rid of the stovepipe problem, then all four actually are quite nice. The Colt's trigger is a little lighter than the others. I don't have my own trigger gauge, so it's impossible to be very precise. It just seems a little lighter. Having two unintended follow-up shots at the range would seem to confirm that possibly.

On the Norinco, I epxected to find the tension on the extractor a little light, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't have that nifty little kit from Wiegand (sp?) either, so, again, this is eyeball stuff: I put a case in the extractor and wiggle the slide a bit. It seems to be held straight and certainly does not fall out, so I'm still nosing around to see how else to address the stovepipe problem.

Latest posts