Zero range

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Ian Swope said:
I zero at 200 because that's the longest range available in my area.
That right there is one of the things most match directors fail to consider. Most shooters and almost all new shooters can't go shoot out to 200, or 300 much less 500 or 600. Sure I like shooting long range but I don't like it enough to not hate seeing new shooters get their ass kicked by it. If it were up to me 3 gun would max out at 300 or maybe 350 yards.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
That right there is one of the things most match directors fail to consider. Most shooters and almost all new shooters can't go shoot out to 200, or 300 much less 500 or 600. Sure I like shooting long range but I don't like it enough to not hate seeing new shooters get their ass kicked by it. If it were up to me 3 gun would max out at 300 or maybe 350 yards.
A good ballistic app wil give you our POI. I run a 300 yard zero while zeroing at a 100 yard target. I draw my POA and a 1" box 3.74" above it. My goal is to get them in the box.

jtischauser

Jeremy Moore said:
A good ballistic app wil give you our POI. I run a 300 yard zero while zeroing at a 100 yard target. I draw my POA and a 1" box 3.74" above it. My goal is to get them in the box.
You lost the newbs at ballistic app. I do wish I could come down and get me some of the matches you guys run. They look like fun and I could use the long range practice.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
You lost the newbs at ballistic app. I do wish I could come down and get me some of the matches you guys run. They look like fun and I could use the long range practice.
Ha! If you're new to shooting long range and not using a ballistic app, it's worth looking into them. There are several good ones, but my favorite is Ballistic AE. Although its not a free app, it's easy for me to understand and read. It takes some effort to set up, but once that's done, it's like having a pro shooter in your back pocket on long range stages.

Signal22

Active Fanatic
mtnman1 said:
What distance do you typically zero your rifle at? We always did 25yds in the Army but I know some zero at 33 or 50 yards.
mtnman1, Just gonna post to jog your memory:

In the Army we zero at 25m with the sight set to 300m so we have predicability in round overflight out to 300m. The round crosses from below line of sight (los) to zero at 25, stays on an arc apexing at approx 8in at 200m then dropping back into zero (los) at 300m. That setting allows us to know to aim low center at anything between 25m and 300m. At anything over 300m you just dial up the distance on the rear appature. Glad you asked that question, in reading I learned that the competitive shooters prefer a flatter trajectory, which completely makes sense.

On a side note any AR shooters should check out FM 3-22.9, the Army rewrote the manual a few years ago and there is some pretty good stuff in the manual.

jtischauser

Jeremy Moore said:
Ha! If you're new to shooting long range and not using a ballistic app, it's worth looking into them. There are several good ones, but my favorite is Ballistic AE. Although its not a free app, it's easy for me to understand and read. It takes some effort to set up, but once that's done, it's like having a pro shooter in your back pocket on long range stages.
Totally agree!

Latest posts