Zero range

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
What distance do you typically zero your rifle at? We always did 25yds in the Army but I know some zero at 33 or 50 yards.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I do not see an issue with doing a zero at 25 especially for an AR. I would definitely recommend you confirm the zero at distance (at least) 100 and make further adjustments if necessary.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
300 yards. A 25, 50 or even 100 yard group with only a 6x scope is never adequate for me. I tighten the zero at 300 then see what it does at 200, 100, 50, 25.
Interesting, I'm glad I brought this up. Are you dropping rounds through the same hole at 300? And how high are you at 50 and 25?

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
depends on what you'll be using the gun for. For 3 gun, a 200 or 300 yard is common. A good barrel/ammo combination should give you a 1/2-1 moa group

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
mtnman1 said:
Interesting, I'm glad I brought this up. Are you dropping rounds through the same hole at 300? And how high are you at 50 and 25?
Heck no! At 300 I can barely see my aiming point with only 6X magnification. I usually shoot like Austin said 1.5 MOA or better is adequate. Which at 300 is 4.5". If I shoot 5 or so groups I'll usually have 3-4 rounds inside 1 MOA and one flyer. Usually 1-2 out of 5 will groups be 1 MOA. If I get lucky and find the same hold everyone I can squeak out a sub moa 5 round group.

jtischauser

I can actually shoot better groups from a MOA measurement perspective than I can at 100. I see 3-4" at 300 more than I see 1-2" at 100. Probably due to lack of patience and poor target type for my reticle.

jtischauser

I use a BDC reticle in my Swarovski z6i. I zero the 1 mil mark at 300. That puts my center cross hair 2.75" low at the muzzle. At 52 yards my cross hair is dead on and at 182 yards it's dead on again.

You really need to download a ballistic calculator and play with it. It's eye opening. Just don't trust then completely. Always shoot your gun on paper to get several reference points to verify.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
mtnman1 said:
What distance do you typically zero your rifle at? We always did 25yds in the Army but I know some zero at 33 or 50 yards.
If memory serves.... 25 m zero keeps every thing in a 9 inch circle out to 300m for battle sights. Some special ops and the USMC do use different distances....

A ballistic table or calculators figure out rise and drop at various distances

dennishoddy

Like Jesse said, sight in at the range your going to be shooting, and use a ballistics calculator to get close to anything in between. Keeping in mind that matches may be from hosing range at 50 yards or closer out to 600 yds

A chronograph is paramount in getting your correct muzzle velocity. Using that figure, the Ballistics coefficient of the round your shooting, and the sectional density figure in how the bullet will fly.

Wind will factor in at longer ranges as well. There is no calculator that will equal actual shooting at longer ranges.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
mtnman1 said:
Literally? What kind of grouping would be acceptable at that range?
Up to a couple of inches, but I think anything less than 4 inches would be OK for 3-Gun. At 100 yards my rounds are about 1" to 1-1/4" high. I just picked 200 yards so I don't have any real holdovers until past that point.

Latest posts