WTB an entry level AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootist

Well-Known Fanatic
I am interested in purchasing my first AR and looking for a good value. In the event I decide to move up at a point down the road, I'm thinking a brand with a good brand/reputation would be the best way to go, so I'm currently leaning toward a S&W Sport that I have found for $640, but being a total rookie on this platform, who knows. Any thoughts on this? If anyone has any first hand experience with brands or models to steer clear from or look at, that would be appreciated. Also, if someone has a rifle cluttering up their safe that seems to fit the bill, please let me know. Thanks for any advice or information about good buys out there!

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Depending on what you are wanting it for that sounds like a reasonable deal. My dad and I put a M4 style kit together last Christmas and I think I payed $600 or so for the complete kit including the lower receiver. If you are not opposed to building your own you might be able to put one together for a little cheaper but you will probably have to search a little more to find deals on parts. I built my first AR on a Delton stripped lower and bought a complete upper from Cold Hand Arms in OKC I have no complaints from it.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Biggest question is what do you want the gun to do. What will it be for, if its just to have and shoot targets, you arent competing or shooting groups, a standard AR is plenty, people forget that while you CAN make and AR shoot sub moa, it wasnt designed that way. Its a battle rifle, the basic Marine Corps training requires you to shoot 9moa or better while zeroing. First reaction is "wow thats a big group"...now put a 9 inch plate on your chest and see how the perception of group size changes. Its an object of function, it needs to do what you WANT it to do.

If you were going to go for an entry level AR, Id say the Stags, Rock River or CMMGs are good. Its also about features here, flat top vs carry handle, gas system length, buttstock (fixed vs collapsible), aftermarket grips, rail systems, specialized bolt carriers and bolts, muzzle brakes. In my opinion, the Rock River Elite 2 has the most features for the money. I have one and have not had one hiccup that was induced by rifle (bad ammo was my only malfunction). My wife shot 3 gun with it and hit 12inch flashers at 300yds with an eotech. Only thing I would change is I would go to a mid length gas system vs the carbine.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Its a battle rifle, the basic Marine Corps training requires you to shoot 9moa or better while zeroing. First reaction is "wow thats a big group"...now put a 9 inch plate on your chest and see how the perception of group size changes. Its an object of function, it needs to do what you WANT it to do.

Ummmm... damn, I thought the Marines trained shooters. In the Army we zeroed at 25 meters, two consecutive groups of three rounds had to be in a 4 centimeter circle. That is about 5.5 MOA...

9 MOA at distances

100 Yards = 9.4 inches
200 Yards = 18.8 Inches
300 Yards = 28.3 inches

shootist

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks to all for the feedback, it is appreciated. At this point, I don't have definate plans for an AR, other than punching holes in targets, plinking. At some point down the road, I might try competition just to see if I enjoy it, but that's a bit of a stretch for someone who has never fired an AR. I've given some thought to a heavier caliber, so that I could hunt with it, but have pretty well put that on the back burner and sticking with the .223/5.56.

My primary criteria are 1) cost, 2) reliabilty and 3) reasonable accuracy. I'm not expecting clover leafs, but 9 MOA wouldn't work for me either. I know myselft well enough to know that my interest won't last long if a weapon won't hit what I'm aiming at.

Do you know who stocks the Stags, Rock River and CMMG's in the OKC area?

So far no feedback on the S&W. Is that due to a lack of experience with those around here (not particularly popular in Oklahoma>?
Thanks again to everyone!

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I havent heard anything bad about the M&P rifles but I dont have any experience with them

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an M&P and they are fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They tend to be a no frills AR. It would be a good choice for someone that doesn't yet know what they like and dislike on the platform and just want to get started.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
RRAs website has a list of dealers. There are some online as well (class3weapons.com). Lead time on them is pretty long right now though is you don't find one in stock. If you go to one of the gun shows in okc you can fondle several different brands.

Chambers

actual GM
I've got one of these new in box I'd sell for $600.

http://www.del-ton.com/DT_Sport_p/dtsport.htm

At the price It's a great value. These rifles are put together well. Shoot me a message if you are interested/want to know more.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no complaints from my Delton rifle it has been running strong for a couple of years now

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks to all for the feedback, it is appreciated. At this point, I don't have definate plans for an AR, other than punching holes in targets, plinking. At some point down the road, I might try competition just to see if I enjoy it, but that's a bit of a stretch for someone who has never fired an AR. I've given some thought to a heavier caliber, so that I could hunt with it, but have pretty well put that on the back burner and sticking with the .223/5.56.

My primary criteria are 1) cost, 2) reliabilty and 3) reasonable accuracy. I'm not expecting clover leafs, but 9 MOA wouldn't work for me either. I know myselft well enough to know that my interest won't last long if a weapon won't hit what I'm aiming at.

Do you know who stocks the Stags, Rock River and CMMG's in the OKC area?

So far no feedback on the S&W. Is that due to a lack of experience with those around here (not particularly popular in Oklahoma>?
Thanks again to everyone!
Savage Trading in Yukon has a pretty good selection of ARs, they arent the cheapest, but they guarantee anything they sell, so if it breaks and you bring it back, they handle getting it fixed, so its a double warranty. As long as its the weapon malfunctioning, not like shooting the wrong caliber in your rifle. Yea...its happened...

Feegee

The Magic Man
All you got to do is talk to Tony Wall he can get you a good AR and help you figure out what would be best for you a all around gun. makereadyproshop.com!!
I also hunt with my 3 Gun AR sometimes and it works really well. I dropped a nice 8 pointer @ 158yards last season with 55 grain smk. Also good for perrie dogs, coyotes, and just plain shooting fun. They are a great all around weapon.

Sent from (NULL) Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Ummmm... damn, I thought the Marines trained shooters. In the Army we zeroed at 25 meters, two consecutive groups of three rounds had to be in a 4 centimeter circle. That is about 5.5 MOA...

9 MOA at distances

100 Yards = 9.4 inches
200 Yards = 18.8 Inches
300 Yards = 28.3 inches
Minimum requirements while shooting for zero...We shoot, 200,300 and 500yds at various target shapes. 10 round volleys, 300 points, then a moving target portion and a CQB engagement drill. They added fire and manuver course and a night shoot as well... the 9 moa is the minimum
basis at zeroing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts