Would you rather have a 1911 in 9mm or .45 Pros and Con?

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep going back and forth on the new 1911 -

I just shot my friends Tisa 1911 that was chambered in 9mm, and I must say it was awesome.

The ability to limit recoil, and having a few extra rounds was great.

Are there any other pro's and cons I'm overlooking when considering a 9mm vs a .45 for the 1911 platform?

I feel that shot placement is always more important than stopping power necessarily.

porschedog

Active Fanatic
Those who have experienced a 9mm 1911 will be likely to be big fans on range days when the extra rounds and reduced recoil allow for more time making holes downrange, and exhibiting a big grin. STI's original single-stack 5.0 Tactical is a hoot, IMO.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
There is no one answer fits all here. I would chose .45 ACP just because I like .45 and I am able to reload. Otherwise I would chose 9x19 parabellum.

Bandito

New Fanatic
I shoot both 9mm and 45ACP in the 1911 platform. My favorite 1911 currently is a Wilson Combat 1911 in 45ACP. But.... I also have a STI 1911 in 9mm that I like very well so I guess I am wishy washy!

Dave

Fanatic
My 2 cents...

I like 45 for self-defense, 9mm for the range. But, that's just me. If I'm carrying 9mm, I'm generally carrying a smaller gun with more rounds. I don't want to get shot by either...and I don't feel underpowered by either. I have no intention of going into battle, but hope I'll be able to remove myself from that situation should it arise and I think I can do that with either.

Eng208

New Fanatic
I have both. I love my 9mms and I love my .45s. It's cheaper for high round count days with 9mm and uses exact same manual of arms so it's still familiar feeling to shoot. Also doesn't leave my aging joints sore after shooting 500 rds. They are essentially the same as far as performance with modern HP ammo. I do carry my .45 in the winter though. I'd rather have a .45 punch through heavy winter clothing if need be. Otherwise, I carry my lightweight Stingray in 9mm and feel very good about it. The wife likes her Stingray in .45 but admits the recoil is significantly higher than her Super Carry Pro Kimber that is steel frame. However it Carries better.

Eng208

New Fanatic
My 2 cents...

I like 45 for self-defense, 9mm for the range. But, that's just me. If I'm carrying 9mm, I'm generally carrying a smaller gun with more rounds. I don't want to get shot by either...and I don't feel underpowered by either. I have no intention of going into battle, but hope I'll be able to remove myself from that situation should it arise and I think I can do that with either.
Excellent post! Great rationale.

tsquare

New Fanatic
I don't understand why I feel so committed to keeping my 1911's on a strictly 45 acp diet? I would feel like a Benedict Arnold shooting a 9 mm. It would feel unpatriotic to me. I have considered fooling around with a 2011 in 9 mm. Different .......but same!

RickH

Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My 2 cents...

Yep, exactly

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess you can chamber a pistol for any caliber you like. But to my way of thinking you say 1911 I think 45. A 1911 is a great platform.
If I go for a 9mm I'll take a CZ-75 or a Hi Power. A 1911 in 9mm limits the number of rounds, makes no sense to me. But whatever floats you boat.
While stationed in Lousy Anna worlds greatest 3rd world nation, I knew a guy that would win every tournament using a six shot revolver going against guys with semi autos. I never got tired of watching him. I asked him why he uses a six gun he stated...I can hit everything I aim at...He could reload quicker than most guys could change a mag. He would shoot two or three shots and reload the empty chambers on the move.
Then there are the Glocks, that's another story all together. Suckers take a beating and keep on going...
Again, just my opinion...totally worthless...
Semper Fi

Tall Paul

Fanatic
Well is pizza un-American? Are any of the 34 US Olympic athletes that were not natural born citizens of the U.S. in-American? I think that yes, the Lords caliber is historically the traditional cartridge for the 1911, but I own 9mm, 10mm, and 45acp versions of Moses Brownings legacy.

As far as defining a 1911 pistol, it looks like it's different strokes for different folks on this topic. As for me personally, a true 1911 is chambered in 45 ACP. Maybe the 9mm copies should be called 1911M's. I view this like the naming of all the different AK47's on the market today. A true AK47 is a Kalashnikov and all the rest are called AKM's. I have a Romanian made WASR-10 AKM that has functioned flawlessly ever since I bought it around 14 years ago. I don't see how a Kalashnikov could be any better, but mine is still called an AKM. My first 9mm pistol was a Smith & Wesson Model 39 I bought new around 1979 that also never hiccupped no matter how you held it or what you fed it. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore. It was made on a similar pattern to the 1911 Commander but wasn't near as heavy. I wish I still had it. My first 1911 was a Colt Government Model Mk IV Series 70 that I bought new around 1980. The different flavors of Colt 1911's back then were the Government Model, Gold Cup, or Commander and all were chambered in 45 ACP. I would imagine the best person to ask about the caliber of a 1911 would be, if only we could, Sergeant Alvin C. York of WW1 fame. He captured 132 German soldiers with his 1911 45 ACP pistol. Read the story here: https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-legend-of-sgt-york/

BigJohn

Fanatic
Well is pizza un-American? Are any of the 34 US Olympic athletes that were not natural born citizens of the U.S. in-American? I think that yes, the Lords caliber is historically the traditional cartridge for the 1911, but I own 9mm, 10mm, and 45acp versions of Moses Brownings legacy.
I do not have 1911 in 9mm but I do have in 45acp and 10mm. My carry gun most of the time is a RIA BBR310 but hunting I carry a RIA 6" PRO CARRY. I do have a few 9mm for bad times. Although I prefer 45 over 9mm I do not condemn the 9mm lovers. I personally do not want to be shot with either.

grainfed

Fanatic
If we are strictly talking 1911, and not a 2011, I'm with the .45 over 9mm all day long. Given the single mag capacity of both, even if one chooses a longer mag, I'll load 8 .45's over 8, 9 or 10 9mm's. I do have several Tisas models.....the Stingray in 9mm and Tank Commander and the Raider in .45. I'm absolutely impressed with the Stingray in it's build quality, weight, and accuracy, but it doesn't sway me over to preferring it over a .45 which I have carried for over 30 years. With some +P or +P+ .45's, and one backup mag, I have felt pretty secure in knowing the target is going to have a bad day. For a really concealed situation, I carry a S&W 3" with an 8 rounder in a Milt Sparks Versa Max. The weight of a loaded Govt or Commander all steel gun in .45 still puts a grin on my ugly mug. They must be on the right belt for the extra weight, IMO. A Milt Sparks takes care of that issue. I in no way would put down a 1911 in 9mm as it can often come down to the individuals strength, size, and ability to handle the recoil, gun weight and other obvious factors. I've had several people at my range shoot the Stingray in 9mm and the next time I would see them, they had purchased one, and the grin on their face was quite present. If .45 went away tomorrow, I'd be packing the Stingray, but having reloaded .45 for over 30 years, I'll be keeping one on my side, and it's most likely a Baer Super Tac or a Springfield TRP full rail Operator (and occasionally my Sig P227), and they all take +P just fine.

Latest posts