World's first 3D-printed gun

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
World's first 3D-printed gun or Lower.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133514-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-gun

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
This has been around for quite awhile. Started with a laser cured resin, then wax inkjet printing, the corn starch...the even have a process called selective laser sintering which will make metal parts.

It's really cool to design something, print out all the parts, and put it together. Helps save manufacturing costs because you don't waste time and money machining parts for prototyping.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Cool. Not what I expected. I thought it would be a sintered metal product like MIM.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol, afraid of an off the books gun... legally you can manufacture your own firearm for personal use with out a serial as long as its not for sale.. besides you could do the same thing with a block of aluminum and some basic hand tools....

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk - don't be insulting!

MacGuyver could build it out of bamboo, a trash bag and a belt buckle, then handload his own bullets out of the internals of an old ham radio he'd found in an abandoned shed using aerosolized battery acid as a propellant rather than blackpowder, mainly because its better for the enviroment....

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, I wonder what it cost to get that thing printed?

Those machines alone are big bucks, but using one to create a lower must have taken forever and cost a sack for of money. One with a giant dollar sign on the side.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Wow, I wonder what it cost to get that thing printed?

Those machines alone are big bucks, but using one to create a lower must have taken forever and cost a sack for of money. One with a giant dollar sign on the side.

The Article said:
The lower receiver was created using a fairly old school Stratasys 3D printer, using a normal plastic resin. HaveBlue estimates that it cost around $30 of resin to create the lower receiver, but “Makerbots and the other low cost printers exploding onto the market would bring the cost down to perhaps $10.”

SLA's not that expensive. We use them all the time at work for check fits.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
SLA's not that expensive. We use them all the time at work for check fits.

They have one up at UCO for the engineering students. When they were showing it to us they went on and on about how expensive that machine was and how costly and slow it was to use. lol

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
The machines can be expensive. Compared to mass produced production parts, they are expensive. Compared to many of the "old fashioned" methods for making prototypes, they can save you a lot of money.

I have a small pile of parts on my desk done by 3D printers.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
The machines can be expensive. Compared to mass produced production parts, they are expensive. Compared to many of the "old fashioned" methods for making prototypes, they can save you a lot of money.

I have a small pile of parts on my desk done by 3D printers.

how much does it cost to have a part printed?

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Depends on complexity of the part and volume.

Last order was $400 and netted us several parts of varying size and complexity. There is also a significant "bulk" discount. The machines only print a limited number of materials at one time, and it has to complete one print before it can start another, so a part may cost a lot more ordered by itself vs ordered along with several others.

Latest posts