Working outside in sub-zero temperatures

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
You know, it really isn't all that difficult. You gotta dress in layers, lots of 'em. Today it was -7 when I got to work. Got a bit colder then warmed up to a whopping 8. I was all warm and comfy-cozy, then I had to pee. Having on 6 inches of clothing is a problem, when you only have 5.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
funny..

From my younger age of spending days out "in the elements", I would swear it always seemed to me it was the absolute coldest, the hour before sunrise. In thinking back on that time, I have frequently wondered if that was reality or was it just something in my own mind. Any other grunts think that?

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
When I was a rookie Copper I was assigned to a Traffic Unit that put out motorcycles for patrol duties investigating motor vehicle accidents. They put them out 24/7, 12 months of the year. Talk about a health and safety issue! Back then (70's) management said that it built charactor. Insane when you look back, but that was the tradition of how it was done for decades prior. Thankfully, I survived my 3 years riding those things and moved on. We were rarely called in off the road. I had keys to several underground apartment garages to "hide" and try to warm up during the winter. A couple of layers of clothes under your uniform and thick snowmobile gauntlets. Here's a pic of my "Motor" circa 1978 decked out in winter trim with attached sidecar. The black weather shield offered little protection from the elements. It still gives me the shivers when I look back at the winter riding months.

gun_fan111

Fanatic
^^^ ouch!

Does smothering Crisco or something similar on open skin have any positive effect?

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
No way. Southern boy, don't do cold well. Hell, it is like 31 outside here, and I have an electric heater on under my desk. Nope, no cold for me.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
funny..

From my younger age of spending days out "in the elements", I would swear it always seemed to me it was the absolute coldest, the hour before sunrise. In thinking back on that time, I have frequently wondered if that was reality or was it just something in my own mind. Any other grunts think that?
According to my thermometer readings, it frequently is the coldest. 1 hour prior to 1 hour after the sun gets up depending on the sky conditions.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Many years wrenching outside. Montana was cold, but one trip to Grand Forks netted a -47 with the wind chill. Glad those days are behind me

hendershot

Well-Known Fanatic
Hard on the people and the equipment. Glad we normally don't work if the high's are below zero. Wind is the real killer. Would rather work at 5 degrees and low wind, than 25 and high winds. The other killer is if you're stuck doing something with little movement, like operating a skid loader or dozer with no enclosed cab. If I'm doing something with high activity, I will strip down to a level of clothing I hang out in my basement with. Obviously many variables, lol. Seems like a perfect job for the snowflakes, but...

My body works strangley in cold weather. My hands will often freeze for the first hour, then the mind says screw it and starts delivering blood to them again after it realizes this is how the day is gonna be. :)

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I spent the first 15 years of of a 45 year tour with the phone company climbing those dam poles. Indiana winters, and pole climbing do not mix. Don't miss those days! Fell off a few of them due to ice.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Spent a lot of time in Montana pushing snow with a Bobcat.
Toes always froze from the metal floor and lack of movement

Heavy equipment operation is a man's man job
or a man with electric socks job ;)

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
funny..

You are correct! Always a few degrees colder just before the sun comes up.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Very true.......temp always drops shortly before sunrise

The high for wednesday is supposed to be -6

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, kind of chilly here too. I do enjoy the break from having to cut the grass, clean the pool, etc. (embrace it). Springtime will be here before you know it...

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
All I know is it's too damn cold! My left leg doesn't want to come off the ground when I walk in these temps. Kinda weird.