wood powered charging stove

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
So the fire/heat turns a fan that helps generate the electricity? That little contraption is pretty cool, even sounds like a mini jet engine! I wonder if that helps to scare away critters as well? :idea:

Interesting find there Tigerstripe!

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
My take (I saw this on Gizmodo a few months back) is that there is a thermocouple that generates the electricity. Some of this juice is used to run a fan blowing air into the bottom of the burner - creating more heat (and therefore more electricity). Very nifty idea - like a turbocharger for your camp stove.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
just so you know there is a battery. it is supposed to keep it charged once you charge it.

looks like magic to me.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
The idea is sound. USB devices (except the ipad) don't take a lot of juice to charge, and heat->electricity is the basis of pretty much the entire power grid. This takes out the steam usually involved, and makes it small and portable.

I would rather have one of these, when backcountry packing, than a solar charger. With my luck, I tend to pack through monsoons with no sun :)

On the other hand, I'm not rushing out and buying one. If the Zombie apocalypse is soon I'll just deal without the electronics I guess.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I had been looking at Wood Gas Generators and thought that was what this was about. wood Gas generators use the gases from burning organic matter in a low oxygen environment to run internal combustion engines. A few companies have setups that will create the gas, heat water, provide heat, and have a cooking surface all with the same unit. Consider though that Carbon monoxide and Methane are the two principle gasses it produces and you realize real quick that you don't run this indoors.

Still, its the difference between charging a cell phone and running a large generator.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
PCShogun said:
I had been looking at Wood Gas Generators and thought that was what this was about. wood Gas generators use the gases from burning organic matter in a low oxygen environment to run internal combustion engines. A few companies have setups that will create the gas, heat water, provide heat, and have a cooking surface all with the same unit. Consider though that Carbon monoxide and Methane are the two principle gasses it produces and you realize real quick that you don't run this indoors.

Still, its the difference between charging a cell phone and running a large generator.

go to u tube and type in

engineer 775

he and southernprepper live in SC. he has a gassefied older pick up. after the vid other gassefied vehicles will come up.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, Tiger, I saw that. It has potential in a long term emergency. Problem is that most vehicles are no longer compatible due to the lack of a carburetor. I was thinking I could purchase an electric vehicle and make one of these to power a generator to help charge it. I figure car batteries would be easy to find if it all hit the fan, but how are you going to charge them, eh?

Anyway, not wishing for the apocalypse, just curious for the information on how to make one if I ever buy some cabin in the mountains and want to live off grid. I've found some good plans, some plans are even provided by FEMA, which speaks volumes for the technology.

Confed Sailor

Well-Known Fanatic
Currently in Exile in Moosup CT, pining for the gr
He has a video of compressing wood gas for later use. DO NOT DO THIS. You have very little control over the precise mixture of gases that you are compressing, It is easy to create a a flammable or even explosive mixture inside the tank. He may have done it a thousand times with no problem at all, but to paraphrase the PIRA message to the late Baroness Thatcher. You have to be lucky every time, we only have to be lucky once...

Latest posts